Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Nexus yet to receive "Jelly Bean" update!

Go to solution
Journeyman

Galaxy Nexus yet to receive "Jelly Bean" update!

Seriously, how long does it take Sprint to catch up to other carriers for the same devices OS. Google released the update for the Galaxy Nexus to receive Jelly Bean a couple days ago, and of course Sprint has yet to release the OS to it's customers. As this update will improve the performance of the device as well as improve the look of the phones operating system. I am not impressed with Sprint at the moment. When Gingerbread came out, it took months for it to be released to the phones. A sprint rep. said that they will have to check the OS to be sure that it wont damage the phone, when the stock android was released specially for Galaxy Nexus. Sprint, you need to up your game. As a customer, I am unsatisfied. I would really appreiciate if you would release the updates to us Galaxy Nexus customers.

667 REPLIES 667
Journeyman

The policy states that by using a custom ROM a person can bypass security rules that the Exchange server enacts when you connect to it. When I connect to my Exchange server it asks me to active the PIN lock on my phone for the screen and allows remote wipe. We can use Touchdown and the native client and I think Moxier but Enhanced Email was black listed because it used the native client ID from 2.3 and allowed people to turn off the PIN while telling the server that it was activated. This caused a big security issue that the developer was not willing to fix.

There is nothing from the server that detects if I am using a custom ROM but being the sole provider for my family I am not willing to risk it and be fired. Since it is a security policy there is zero tolerance for it. It’s online with stealing because an unlocked phone could leak company “secrets”.

Journeyman

After all the help I got from a really kind person here who helped me root my phone and flash JB, I am now wanting to unroot, unflash and go back to as if it came straight from Sprint. Is this possible and if so is there anyone willing to explain in detail how to do. Also the last thing I want to do is wreck the phone as I plan on exchanging it at the Sprint store. I have had it only a week. Thank you.

Journeyman

look up wugfresh toolkit its the easiest way and he is always around to help if you run into any problems

Journeyman

Thanks JT. Is there a toolkit for a Mac? I got help to unroot my phone back and now I want to root, unock and flash it to JB again. I know, crazy right? But after having JB and then not having it, I see what I am missing and have decided not to return my phone. I hope the same sweet person is not so fed up with me that he will see this and help me one last time but would not be surprised if he doesn't want to.

Journeyman

Apple makes and supports the software directly on all of their devices. iOS is not an open source platform.

Journeyman

Apple has a super closed system and runs their game. What makes android special (the openness) is always what kills it. Carrier/Manufacturer forced skins and crappy branding (Manufactuer name - Power Noun - Elite Noun - Number - 4G/LTE ) kill the platform.

It's simply abused by carriers and manufacturers alike, and unfortunately the consumer as a whole is none the wiser. The sad part is that people are not educated on what phone they are buying. The normal person out there buys an "iPhone" or "Crazy Named Android Phone". They come into Sprint asking for a "Droid'. It sucks, and thats why things are the way they are. 95% of the people in the USA buying these products don't know enough to care.  They care if they are getting a "free phone" and feel all happy cause its "free", not really seeing that they lost money buying a "free" phone after taxes(pre rebate price in CA), newly raised upgrade fees etc..

And in the end we are on Sprint...

Why?

Because somehow they are the Lesser of 3 evils. Their rates overall are still better then AT&T (with their 'wonderful' new shared Data for iOs Facetime and fake 4g icon for iPhone 4s users) or Verizon. But the price we pay for that is not being able to buy an unlocked Nexus from Google from the start, and suffer with mostly outdated tech for 6 months until we get Verizons leftovers or until Samsung graces us with what ever new Galaxy is out that year. It sucks and I hate it. But it is only going to get worse over the next few years. We already see it, and it scares the heck out of me.

As someone who knows tech well, Yes I could root my phone. But I dont want that. I dont want some hacked version. Im to old now, and to many things need my time. I want my phone to work and be up to date because thats what it needs to do. I want the new features Jelly Bean has, the smoothness to finally take away the slight stutter issues.

I didn't expect that 2 days after Google IO i would get an update. Thats crazy. But TWO Months is more than enough time. I don't care that it was this way before. It should be getting better, not worse. If prices go up for upgrade fees, and other services then there should also be more work in quicker updates to devices. Especially one that has no skin at all.

Now with Sept 1st just a few days away. I look at my GNexus and just sigh... Because it's only going to get worse.

Journeyman

Check out galaxynexusroot.com and look for how to root he has instructions for both Mac and windows

Journeyman

Thank you JT, but I could not find one for Mac or CDMA version.

never mind found it. I need one that won't eat my battery. One other reason I unrooted was I was getting like 2 hrs battery life without even using the phone

Journeyman

also it says to do a back up recovery first and I forgot how to do that.

Journeyman

Not sure I understand

Journeyman

how do I do a back up recovery in case I want to go back to original settings/stock? He says to do that before rooting but I did not see where and do not know how. It was not in the instructions on the 1st rootlng link.

Journeyman

1) says unlock bootloader-this will erase everything so make a back up before

that is what it said

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat