cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Nexus yet to receive "Jelly Bean" update!

Go to solution
Journeyman

Re: Galaxy Nexus yet to receive "Jelly Bean" update!

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/26216416.jpg

Journeyman

I have been waiting on the sidelines for the best choices to factor provider, pricing, new tech, with ability to upgrade without roms.

Had my mind set on note 2, however, i am still shocked that why samsung would not try to take market share with the about to be released iphone, why keep it exclusive with just att, and then maybe have t movile keep it for a few weeks makes no sense,the galaxy 3 was availalbe within all carriers almost immediately, thats how they obtained 10 mil in new sales. Why keep the note to used one. I really wanted the nexus, however, evemn with the subpar camera, and no lte for sprint, i was waiting for the jelly , however, sprint should give everyone who purchased this bologna, because it was a google , develop phone, without carrier branding, so there would be no bs in getting quick upgrades,nhas misadvertised the buyers. You would think hesse would learn from the first google s, no, he had to repead the sin twice. Still no jelly bean, or any subsequent upgrade. Clearly false advertising, everyone who hass the nexus, should get a free galaxy 3, without triggering their contract hold.

If sprint, verizon sells another bull shit nexus phone, they should offer a cancel contract for breach of service, if the nexus lines do not get their updates when google sents them out.

Journeyman

Just forgot, waiting for next weeks apple announcement, not too keen on 4" screens, but most likely go with tmobile, and get the galaxy 3, instead,nwith their unlimited, 3.5 g is still faster than sprint with their bull crap lte.

Yes, t mobiles plan is cheaper than sprint. Sprint,   See you in a bankruptcy filing.........

You are saying Sprint should give people who purchased the Nexus a free S3 because they haven't released the Jelly Bean update for it? The S3 doesn't have Jelly Bean either...and probably won't before the Nexus. I don't see how that would be a good argument to get a free phone.

And Sprint's LTE is plenty fast in areas that have it...I get between 10-20Mbps pretty consistent.

Journeyman

What i am saying is that if i were to purchase an unlocked nexus, it has jelly bean already, or can get the update. People purchased the nexus for one reason, to get a developer unit which gets timely updates, thats the selling point . If you cannnot get updates when it is available from google, you have a product for which it was not what you intended. Due to the number of owners that have the sprint nexus, vs. Galaxy 3, i believe the jellybean upgrade will get to them before the nexus, hence, sprint should give owners the galaxy 3, as compensation.

If the reason was to get updates as it is available for the nexus phone, and if they do not happen, that is false advertising.

Because it is not a developers phone, but another carrier controlled phone.

The point I've tried to make several times here and just get accused of defending Sprint is this:

Yes, it is a Nexus. yes, Google originally intended the Nexus series as a developer device that would get updated quickly. But Google is the one that advertises it as such, not Sprint (or Verizon). So if you purchase it from Google, you get exactly what everyone assumes a Nexus should be.

Nowhere on Sprint's page for the phone is it called a developer device, nowhere does Sprint say in advertisements or details on the phone anything about updates to it. So to say there is false advertising just isn't true. You bought the device from Sprint, you need to look at Sprint's information for the phone, not Google's.

You should always look at the company you are buying the product from for specs and details. Just like how Samsung advertised the Galaxy S 3 as having a quad core processor...but the Sprint version is only dual core. On the Galaxy Nexus, Google advertises it as having 16GB of memory...but the Sprint version has 32GB.

Journeyman

You make one point about the Sprint version of the Galaxy Nexus that I'm totally glad about too, and that is that the Sprint version has 32GB of storage.  Having no SD card storage, I would not have bought this phone with just 16GB.  And the Nexus is still the developer phone.  There is no phone easier to root and ROM than the Galaxy, and by following simple instructions much safer.  Look at xda's early threads on customizing the Epic 4G Touch.  Early efforts met with bricked devices.  It was eventually worked out, but the Nexus was designed with customizing in mind, hence it is much more friendly and safe to do it. 

Personally, I'm glad that we have the Nexus on Sprint, so I'd rather have it with slow updates than not have it at all, for the customizing reasons I already mention.  Nevertheless, this far beyond the release of Jelly Bean and we still have no sign of it, really isn't acceptable.  There are no built-in Sprint programs, no customer user interface, no modifications to worry about ensuring compatibility, so there really is no valid reason that it should take this long to get an update out, especially when people who buy the Nexus are most likely much more technically inclined, else you'd likely be buying the much more promoted and newer GS3.  Because of this point, and the fact that techies are going to gravitate more to forums such as this, it isn't doing Sprint any good to be slow about updating.  It just gives them a black eye.  They already face enough critiicism anymore over a 3G network that has gone pathetically slow to a lot of people.  Yes, if you have access to their LTE it is quite quick, and impressive (I do have access), but when I hit an area that I'm on 3G, I just turn off data syncing else the battery life just dwindles before my eyes, due to the poor connections I get. 

I don't know, maybe the tech crowd isn't that important or doesn't have the numbers that it matters much.  It sure seems like I read a lot of techies using Sprint because of the unlimited data.  With T-Mobile starting to go back to true unlimited, and much quicker updates to products such as the Galaxy Nexus, maybe Sprint should show more concern?  Communication would help I suspect too, as the not knowing adds fuel to the already smoldering fire.

Journeyman

I agree with you on the 'not knowing'. I would have absolutely no problem with waiting if Sprint woould just say something...anything aboutt the update. A simple 'we're working on it and it will be available as soon as possible' would suffice. However, they choose to stay mum. Not even dignifying us with a response. I'm planning on buying a Nexus 7 tab and I heard a rumor that there will be a 3g capable one released in the next few weeks. Even though I will be able to get updates for it from Google I wont be buying my network services from Sprint based simply on how I've been treated in this update situation right here. Being ignored is a big turnoff!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Journeyman

tuxpower1, if that turns out true, that is great news. (a few months delayed, but could have been worse).

As JLG058 said in his/her recent post, "With T-Mobile starting to go back to true unlimited, and much quicker updates to products such as the Galaxy Nexus, maybe Sprint should show more concern? Communication would help I suspect too, as the not knowing adds fuel to the already smoldering fire." - that is a very good point.

The build talked about in that article, FH05, is indeed a Samsung build. I found mention of it a while back but the info in it said 4.0.4...which I thought was kind of strange but Sprint has been known not to update the OS version in those files before. Before that there was a FH03 build. Builds close together means they are finding issues and working out bugs. A build with no other builds after it for several weeks usually means that will be a released build. There have been no other builds since FH05 (August 5th)...so hopefully this is true. Two months would definitely be better than the 4 months it took on the Nexus S 4G to get ICS.

Journeyman

Well, this wouldn't be the first time Sprint has beaten Verizon to the punch.  This artilce sounds believable to me, enough so that I'm going to unroot and return to stock in preparation.  :-)   The nice thing about the Nexus is that I can always return to a custom ROM if need be rather simply.

Still Sprint, a little communication with your subscribers would go a long way....

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat