cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Nexus yet to receive "Jelly Bean" update!

Go to solution
Journeyman

Re: Galaxy Nexus yet to receive "Jelly Bean" update!

As JLG058 said in his/her recent post, "With T-Mobile starting to go back to true unlimited, and much quicker

updates to products such as the Galaxy Nexus, maybe Sprint should show more concern? Communication would

help I suspect too, as the not knowing adds fuel to the already smoldering fire." - that is a very good point.

I agree, more openess on Sprint's part would be a good thing and would keep them from bleeding more customers.

On the other hand, I seem to recall that T-Mobile doesn't sell the Nexus themselves, but if you buy it from Google directly, you can put it on their network as it's a GSM phone, whereas our Galaxy Nexus and Verizon's are CDMA, and stuck with proprietary drivers for their networks. What that means (and I haven't read this whole thread to know if someone already said this) is we're stuck with waiting for Sprint/Verizon to bless the ROMs that Google puts together for them.

IMHO I personally would wait for them to get it right rather than push out a broken release.

tuxpower1 wrote:

As JLG058 said in his/her recent post, "With T-Mobile starting to go back to true unlimited, and much quicker

updates to products such as the Galaxy Nexus, maybe Sprint should show more concern? Communication would

help I suspect too, as the not knowing adds fuel to the already smoldering fire." - that is a very good point.

I agree, more openess on Sprint's part would be a good thing and would keep them from bleeding more customers.

On the other hand, I seem to recall that T-Mobile doesn't sell the Nexus themselves, but if you buy it from Google directly, you can put it on their network as it's a GSM phone, whereas our Galaxy Nexus and Verizon's are CDMA, and stuck with proprietary drivers for their networks. What that means (and I haven't read this whole thread to know if someone already said this) is we're stuck with waiting for Sprint/Verizon to bless the ROMs that Google puts together for them.

IMHO I personally would wait for them to get it right rather than push out a broken release.

That would be correct. T-Mobile and AT&T do not sell the Galaxy Nexus. Sprint and Verizon I believe are the only US carriers that do. The Sprint version is updated by Samsung. The Verizon version is updated by Google but Verizon tests and approves it before release.

Journeyman

I don't see why these forums are not used to help. canned awnsers only hurt. we'll we shall see tomorrow.......

Journeyman

Yes, you can purchase the Nexus directly for $350 from Google, and it will work on the GSM carriers (T-Mob and AT&T).  That is what I alluded to, but didnt' make clear.  And yes, it is the drivers apparently that hold up our updates.  I can't imagine the drivers would be that much different though going from 4.0 to 4.1.  But I too agree, I don't want an update that is broken.  However, having run a couple of different ones myself, I can tell you that the JB ROMS on xda are pretty darn stable, and with some pretty nice tweaks.  We'll see what the official update brings to the table. 

Journeyman

Ok, this is the first time I've heard that Verizon's is updated by Google and Sprint's by Samsung.  That explains a lot if true.  While I love Samsung products (owning several including my primary laptop) one thing they aren't noted for in the cellular market is quick updates.  So if Sammy is supplying our updates, then I'm totally surprised that we're even slated to get it before Christmas.  :-) 

Journeyman

Starting @ 12;01 a.m. tonight i will be constantly tapping 'check now' button in system updates tab of settings menu lmao!!

Journeyman

from the article, " Software updates will be pushed to all handsets via Google. Customers cannot initiate a download on their own."

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well, that is not entirely accurate. The only difference between Verizon's device and Sprint's device is that Verizon's device is AOSP supported. That means that developers can download the binaries for the OS (and the Samsung radio software) to build their own ROM.

The official OTA update process for Verizon and Sprint's nexus devices is the same (regardless of AOSP support)

Edit: see a good post http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/467285#467285

Journeyman

Which basically means we could be waiting another month for our specific handset to get an update pushed to it? jj14x you could have waited 5 more minutes before you burst my bubble, man. I was kinda happy, back to being pissed with Sprint lol

Journeyman

Sorry efyoiphone

But usually, once they start pushing the updates out, most folks get it within 3-4 days (from past experience)

Journeyman

I hope so. I'm anxious to put Google Now to a real world test in this disaster area. With all the flooding and such I wanna see just how accurate it is when it comes to traffic routes and stuff. I hope it performs well so I can throw it in all the cr-Apple Fanboys' faces.

Journeyman

The last, recent update we had went beyond the 3-4 days for me.  However, there is a potential way that I read about (I think here on these threads) that you can force the update.  Once you know it is being released, go to your settings, applications, all.  Scroll down until you see something about google.framework (doing this from memory, sorry).  Click on it, and hit force stop and clear.  Immediately go in and check for updates (without doing a battery pull as the other person originally suggested).  When I did that I instantly got the download, after waiting about 5 days.  And no, you don't lose any data.  I think you have to sign back in to your Google services or sync up, I don't recall precisely but I do know I didn't lose a thing.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat