ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Nexus yet to receive "Jelly Bean" update!

Go to solution
Journeyman

Re: Galaxy Nexus yet to receive "Jelly Bean" update!

I think TCD was referring to the updates from 2.1 to 2.2 then 2.2 to 2.3... Not to mention the release of the Gnex on Sprint months after Verizon. Also I would like to drop my two cents on the rollout of the WiMax and LTE. I live int eh 6th largest city in the US, Phoenix and I had to go to Clearwire's site to find the 6 unofficial WiMax spots here. Sprint didn't even list Phx as having WiMax at all... Now what is going to happen to the LTE? Release it in cites that already have WiMax converage and leave us out to hang again... I pay that stupid 10 bucks a month for what I was told was a "richer data experience" BUT I am always on 3G and I use my own WiFi at home so how much more data am I actually using with my smartphone over what I used with my Moment where I didn't have the $10 extra at the time? So I have to pay the extra for a "richer data experience" that I can't use plus the bump in my TEP now from 7 to 8 to 11 bucks now...

Journeyman

You also didn't mention that Verizon Gnex is part of the AOSP and Sprint's isn't... Any comment on that?

As far as updates to different versions of Android...ALL carriers and manufacturers take forever. It's nothing unique to Sprint and Samsung. While the number of phones running ICS is slowly growing, over 50% still run Gingerbread.

LTE will be on every single tower Sprint currently has when the upgrade is complete whereas with Wimax they were relying on Clear for the towers.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/212-network-visionlte-deployment-running-list/

As far as TEP...Sprint is just passing on the charges from the insurance company, Asurion.

All smartphones require the $10 a month fee...4G or not. If you were to activate a Moment today, you would be charged the $10.

FenrirRagnarok wrote:

You also didn't mention that Verizon Gnex is part of the AOSP and Sprint's isn't... Any comment on that?

Being part of AOSP just means Google is distributing the code for the phones for developers, it has nothing to do with updates. Verizon still has full control over the update for the phone.

This is from Googles AOSP guy:

We've been making progress on toro indeed, and we can now distribute Invensense's proprietary binaries.

I have no control over and no information about the OTA itself.

I don't consider toro to be higher than "experimental" at this point.

Journeyman

I agree that they are way behind all the other major carriers and their customer service has gone in the toilet ! They really need to listen to the complaints os customers and actually give a crap. They dont care they just want their $ 141.00 every month weather you had a tower down for 3 weeks or not ! They just do not care.....we will give you 25% ff your bill is all they can do....wow so I got 1 week of service and got $30.00 off my bill....will change carriers after my contract ends and maybe even earlier may be worth the $350 termination fee at least we will have a signal. Took forever to get the new Evo into the states .

Journeyman

LTE may be on every single tower WHEN they are done but what is the ETA for that? I got told by numerous Sprint CS people, in store and on the phone, that WiMax would be out  here 3rd quarter of 2010 the 4th quarter then  1st quarter of 2011 and so on. Even their Executive Customer Service people fed me the same line. Also Sprint owned a large portion of Clearwire, you are telling me they couldn’t use that influence to get it done?

Also from the link you posted the first round is expected to be completed end of the year to the beginning of next year, and second round most of them show end of next year… so a phone listed as available to purchase, Gnex and the Evo both LTE, can be sold prior to the network even being up and useable. So I have had two phones that I can’t use the new fangled service on because Sprint can’t A) push the company they own a big part of to build the towers and B) they rollout their service in every major city but mine.

Atlanta/Athens 40th

San Antonio 7th

Houston 4th

DFW 9th/16th

Kansas City 37th for Missouri and 165th for Kansas

Baltimore 24th

Austin 13th

Boston 21st

Washington, D.C. 25th

Chicago 3rd

LA Metro (Los Angeles) 2nd

New York City (NYC/Westchester) 1st

Central Jersey Highest city it has is Newark at 68th

San Francisco 14th

1 thru 4 of the largest cities… lets take a look at round two…

Miami/West Palm 44th/280th

Norfolk (Hampton Roads/Tidewater) 79th

Charlotte 17th

Jacksonville 11th

Memphis 20th

South West Florida not sure what’s in SW Florida but the highest it has is already listed

Nashville 26th

Orlando 78th

Tampa 53rd

Indianapolis 12th

Philadelphia Metro 5th, oh wait the 5 cities above mine are listed…

Raleigh/Durham 42nd/84th

San Diego 8th

New Orleans 51st

Northern Jersey see my comment above for Jersey

Southern Connecticut the highest they have is 169(Bridgeport)

PR/VI (Puerto Rico/Virgin Islands) Hold on… you are telling me that territories are getting this before my city?!?! Really Sprint?

South Bay (San Jose) 10th out of the top 14 Phoenix is the only one not on the list as of now…

West Michigan (Grand Rapids/Lansing) 124th/230th

Orange County, California we’ll go with the highest city there of Anaheim at 54th

East Michigan (Detroit) 18th

Minnesota (the whole state?) Minneapolis is the highest at 48th

Riverside/San Bernardino 59th/97th

Long Island since it’s right next to NYC on the map we’ll count this as #1

West Washington (Seattle) 22nd

Oregon/SW Washington (Portland) 29th

Ft. Wayne/South Bend 74th/279th

So out of the top 10 Phoenix is the only one not in the first or second round of rollout… So I have to wait till 2014 when my contract is up again to finally get some LTE love here?

As for the 10 bucks a month it didn’t start till the Evo was released because the Hero, Moment, Transform, and one other I can’t think of didn’t need the 10 bucks for “richer data experience” because they weren’t 4G. Then the Evo and Epic came out and they started requiring it on all phones. I’m stuck using 3G for at least the next two years… where is this richer data experience? With all the other devices I can do stuff on what is my incentive to purchase a smartphone when my tablet can do everything my smartphone can but make phone calls? And with voip that can actually be solved too…

FenrirRagnarok wrote:

LTE may be on every single tower WHEN they are done but what is the ETA for that? I got told by numerous Sprint CS people, in store and on the phone, that WiMax would be out  here 3rd quarter of 2010 the 4th quarter then  1st quarter of 2011 and so on. Even their Executive Customer Service people fed me the same line. Also Sprint owned a large portion of Clearwire, you are telling me they couldn’t use that influence to get it done?

Also from the link you posted the first round is expected to be completed end of the year to the beginning of next year, and second round most of them show end of next year… so a phone listed as available to purchase, Gnex and the Evo both LTE, can be sold prior to the network even being up and useable. So I have had two phones that I can’t use the new fangled service on because Sprint can’t A) push the company they own a big part of to build the towers and B) they rollout their service in every major city but mine.

WiMax was obviously a failure which is why Sprint decided to go on their own and upgrade their network to LTE instead of relying on someone else. Even Clearwire is pretty much abandoning WiMax and going LTE. Also, Sprint is no longer a majority shareholder in Clearwire.

As far as selling LTE phones when most of the country has no LTE...there isn't really any other option. WiMax will be gone in a couple years so there is no point in selling more WiMax phones so they might as well sell phones that will work on the new network.

You obviously recently signed a contract if you have one of the LTE phones...if having LTE was that important to you and you don't like the $10 premium data fee, maybe you should have done a little research and probably went with another carrier.

The size of cities has nothing to do with which ones get upgraded first, second, etc. Lots of other information on that site I posted that link from. There is a lot involved in the upgrades and they are going after areas first that they know they can get everything required in place quickly. There are also different companies involved doing the upgrades depending on the equipment in place. Ericsson, Alcatel-Lucent, and Samsung are all involved depending on the market. Most of the first and second round markets appear to be Ericsson and Samsung. Phoenix is Alcatel-Lucent.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-148-silver-lining-for-phoenix-and-tucsonyuma-marketsthe-sch...

Master

We do not write the software for the devices that is done by Google and for the Nexus  Samsung.  After the problem when the ICS update was pulled from release last December is was fixed and released in Mar by Google to the Nexus devices  That is the same time frame the Sprint nexus phones released it.  The Nexus is a pure Google device is is updated from the Google ota servers.    As to a clip from a news site.  Google states that they have yet to release the software.  This was in answer to when will Sprint release jelly bean.  If the company that writes the software for the device has not released it.  We can not give out a date for release.   The Nexus was the first Sprint phone to get ICS.  The HTC EVO LTE release in May  and the S3 release in June.  What phon's sales were we trying to up.  I am a Sprint Technical support agent,  I can only give  out information that I have and has been released for the public.   One speculation in not helpful. Two releasing information prematurely can actually be harmful.  

Journeyman

To comment back to Coasterphotos- LTE wasn’t the selling point for me. I was upgrading from the Evo 4G to the Nexus because of the “pure” Google experience hoping to get updates sooner than I did with my Moment or Evo. On that note on to 14KNIGHT- If you are a Tech support agent I hope I never get you on a call. Do you realize what you just said? “The Nexus is a pure Google device is is updated from the Google ota servers.” How is this going to happen over the CDMA network that Sprint has? The GSM phones can do this but to my knowledge the CDMA networks that Sprint and Verizon operate on can’t.

Next point you mention that Google hasn’t released it? Do you research this before you comment? The GSM phones already have it. T-Mobile has 4.1.1 Build JRO03C.

“As to a clip from a news site.  Google states that they have yet to release the software.” It’s been released to developers and GSM phone and the T-Mobile’s HSPA+ phone last week… If you are going to take a “clip from a news site” then do some research or enter a time frame so you don’t get old news.  How about this, I won’t quote a news site… I’ll give you right from Google’s on Nexus Google+ account as of 7-10-12:

“The rollout of Android 4.1, Jelly Bean, begins today, starting with Galaxy Nexus HSPA+ devices.

Jelly Bean makes everything feel fast, fluid, and smooth. Notifications are expandable and actionable, widgets are magical and the keyboard is smarter and more accurate: http://www.android.com/whatsnew/

Jelly Bean also features a redesigned search experience, with a new user interface and faster Voice Search. You can type your query or simply ask Google a question. Google can speak back to you, delivering a precise answer if it knows one, in addition to a list of search results.

Google Now is also part of the updated Google app, getting you just the right information at just the right time. Google Now tells you today’s weather before you start your day, how much traffic to expect before you leave for work, or your favorite team's score as they’re playing. There’s no digging required: cards appear at the moment you need them most.

If you’ve got a Galaxy Nexus HSPA+ device, you will receive a prompt alerting you to the update over the next several days. Up next for Jelly Bean: all Galaxy Nexus, Nexus S, Motorola Xoom and of course, Nexus 7, which will ship with Jelly Bean later this month.”

So with the last statement on this, “Up next for Jelly Bean: all Galaxy Nexus, Nexus S, Motorola Xoom and of course, Nexus 7, which will ship with Jelly Bean later this month.” Mean that Sprint will need to update all Nexus phones by the end of the month because the new ones sold should come with JB 4.1, right?

Journeyman

Great post.  I was getting tired of the misinformation this sprint employee is spreading.  I don't get why these people go into these fields as "IT Support" if they are not genuinely interested in learning and keeping up to date on this info.

To coasterphotos : please don't spit out stuff you have no clue about.  Verizon recently contributed its proprietary CDMA/LTE binaries to AOSP.  This means that now anyone can get Jellybean to work on the Verizon Galaxy Nexus since the "drivers" that enable Jellybean to interface with the CDMA specific hardware have been released.  Sprint on the other hand has refused to do so.

There are hacked versions of Jellybean on Sprint Galaxy Nexus but these will not work as well and may have problems since Sprint hasn't released the proprietary binaries.

I am well aware the proprietary code for the Verizon gnex has been released. Now if it was Verizon that allowed it or the company that owns the rights to it is unknown. Verizon and Sprint aren't the ones that own the rights to the code, it is the technogy provider. Point is, even though it has been released there is still no official update and it will still have to be approved by Verizon.

As far as Jelly Bean on the Sprint gnex, you are the one that has no clue. I've been running it for a week with no problems. It was built from source using the proprietary drivers extracted from the ICS build on the phone. Everything has been working perfectly. This is the first time a officially unreleased os by Sprint has ran good enough for me to actually leave it on my phone.

Journeyman

Love how you keep showing how clueless you are. Built using proprietary drivers included in AOSP? Talk about an oxymoron.  Thank the people at XDA who did all the work for you and stop pretending like you know what you are talking about.  Just because it runs with no noticeable problems does not mean its working perfectly.  Otherwise there would be no need for drivers from Verizon or Sprint.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat