cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random restarts throughout the day since the 4.2.1 update

Highlighted
Journeyman

Random restarts throughout the day since the 4.2.1 update

Ever since the most recent software update a few weeks ago my Galaxy Nexus restarts itself randomly about 5 - 10 times per day.  And this happens while in use and when it's just sitting idle.  I know it has restarted itself because when I go to use the phone I always check the most recent apps and when it has restarted nothing shows up.  Any ideas other than a complete reset of the device?

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Wizard

Re: Random restarts throughout the day since the 4.2.1 update

covac8,

Thanks for the post. It look like Google is investigating this and is aware of the issue. More than likely they will release an update to provide the fix. I do apologize,  I can only imagine how frustrating this is for you. We appreciate your patience with this. Hopefully Google can get the update out soon so you wont have this issue any more.

Victor

Sprint Social Care

Highlighted
Journeyman

I too am having the same issues.  Random restarts, 4g/3g connecting and disconnecting erratically, and also low memory popup came up.  I've never seen that before.  Please fix this issue.

Highlighted
Wizard

Berngeezy,

Thank you for the post. I can understand this being frustrating. Did this start when you took the update?

Victor

Sprint Social Care

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'll come in and say I've had similar behaviors on my Nexus since the 4.2.1 upgrade. Battery life is about half of previous (I just bought a fresh Samsung extended battery to alleviate the issue and am seeing no percentage changes in battery life). Bluetooth stutters, random lockups, these are all typical symptoms of the Google 4.2.1 build that they mostly resolved in 4.2.2.

I would say it's a commercial priority for Sprint to get the 4.2.2 build for their Nexus since the current one is such a known performance/stability issue for tablet Nexus users who went through this pain 4 months ago. Verizon's 4.2.2 build also includes radio updates for CDMA, which would be very promising for Sprint.

Do your faithful customers a favor, and save us from 4.2.1 Hell, please. 🙂

Turg wrote:

Verizon's 4.2.2 build also includes radio updates for CDMA, which would be very promising for Sprint.

Verizon and Sprint radios are not compatible...so having new Verizon radios means nothing on the Sprint side.

I haven't had any of these issues on my phone, nor my tablet which is still running 4.2.1

Highlighted
Journeyman

Doesnt change the fact the we should have this update already. Verizon pretty much bypassed 4.2 and is going straight to 4.2.2. Sprint needs to get on the ball and send out the update to Nexus users immediately. I have been having the same issue and its been more frequently lately. And yes, the battery life is horrible due to the fact that its always looking for service. Thankfully I find myself using wifi a lot, whether its at work or home.

Highlighted

Verizon users also waited almost 2 months longer to get 4.2 than Sprint users did. A perfect example of there is no way they will ever make everyone happy. If you read about 4.2.2 you will find there are still people having battery life issues and bluetooth issues. Sprint doesn't send out the updates...they only test them. Samsung is the one making the updates.

If your phone is searching for service and killing the battery, no software update will make that better...you need to be in an area with a stronger signal. That is the case pretty much no matter what phone you have.

Highlighted
Wizard

Turg,

Thanks for the post. We are working with Google and the manufacturers of these devices to get this update rolled out. We have our hands tied on this as we dont create the updates. Hopefully they get this out to us soon. I hate to see my customers having such a hard time with this.

Victor

Sprint Social Care.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just want to also voice my need for 4.2.2 upgrade. I am experiencing the "black screen of death" problem and have to battery pull several times per week (kind of a pain with my Seidio case). I saw on Google forums that auto brightness and animations were the suspect, but that does not seem to be the case for me. I think it has to do with streaming, bluetooth audio, or a specific app. In any case, I am hoping 4.2.2 is the answer. Thanks.

Highlighted

Good article on why doing a factory reset after any update is a good idea and why updates can cause problems.

http://www.androidcentral.com/getting-bad-battery-life-422-your-verizon-nexus-try-factory-reset

Highlighted
Journeyman

Has there been any status update on the 4.2.2 Update to the Galaxy Nexus. I know there is a custom rom available on throught the xda developers site. Is Sprint planning on releasing the 4.2.2 Update or will we just be sitting behind Verizon on this update?

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat