cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really Sprint? latest galaxy nexus update!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Really Sprint? latest galaxy nexus update!!

I received the update lastnight and installed it and have been getting nothing but lagging and no data connection on the sprint network or WiFi! This is very inconvient to me. How and when is this issue getting fixed?

95 REPLIES 95
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Really Sprint? latest galaxy nexus update!!

Call customer support for a refresh signal.

Then power phone down, pull battery, reboot.

Some people have gotten it to work this way.

Check out the other Gnex threads.

Highlighted

It's a bug in 4.3. This was seen on unofficial builds straight from Google. It is something Google has to fix but probably won't since they've moved on to 4.4.

The problem occurs when switching between data connections (3G-4G-WiFi) where when it switches it won't reconnect. Toggling airplane mode on and off will fix it...until the next time the data connection switches.

It may or may not be fixed by a reset or refresh.

Highlighted
Wizard

latinoboitx,

Thanks for the post and sorry to hear about the trouble. I'd like to trouble shoot this with you and get the issue escalated if needed. Would you mind providing me some information such as device model, when you upgraded and you phone number? Please send this information via Private Message only so we can keep you information private.

Thank you,

Chris

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am having the same issue. Normal troubleshooting steps have not helped.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Also have the same issue.  I lose connection when switching from 3G to 4G or 4G to 3G.  Toggling mobile data does work, but very annoying while using GPS.  Factory reset and wipe thru recovery did not help.  Also updated profile and that didst help either.  Very bad!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

It's not something Google has to fix, it comes from the RIL bridge.  The problems with 4.3 ROMS on the Sprint Gnex all stemmed from the fact that Samsung didn't have 4.3 binaries for the Sprint Gnex.  The RIL bridge was jacked and needed the new binaries to function as intended.  Those binaries never actually materialized and the community ended up coming up with numerous ingenious ways to work around the switching problem (from the RIL bridge).  Many people are having issues with the official 4.3 update from Sprint, and as the problems are much the same as what the ROM community experienced, we can presume that either Samsung screwed up the binaries they released to Sprint, or they released "new" ones that were actually the same as the old and Sprint dropped them in which gave the same issues as what the community experienced, or Sprint somehow screwed up and attached the wrong binaries to the 4.3 update.  It's hard to say what Sprint and Samsung will do about it though as the forums here and in several other places are all saying the exact same thing about the update, that it's not working.

Highlighted

BadWolf79 wrote:

we can presume that either Samsung screwed up the binaries they released to Sprint, or they released "new" ones that were actually the same as the old and Sprint dropped them in which gave the same issues as what the community experienced, or Sprint somehow screwed up and attached the wrong binaries to the 4.3 update.  It's hard to say what Sprint and Samsung will do about it though as the forums here and in several other places are all saying the exact same thing about the update, that it's not working.

Sprint doesn't have anything to do with the update other than approving it for release. The updates are 100% Samsung. And obviously Google changed something between 4.2 and 4.3 that broke what was working fine before so it's hard to say where the problem is.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The Sprint Gnex is the only one having the data switching issue.  The RIL bridge controls authentication with networks when switching from one to another.  Google did change something but it's working fine for all the other Gnex variants, it's only the Sprint Gnex that has an issue and that lays it firmly in Samsungs court.

Sprint has a hand in these updates though as CDMA is proprietary technology which is why the Verizon and Sprint Gnex were massive headaches to get into AOSP (and which Sprint never did accomplish).  However, it's a moot point as I think we can agree that Samsung is the core player responsible.

Highlighted

BadWolf79 wrote:

The Sprint Gnex is the only one having the data switching issue.  The RIL bridge controls authentication with networks when switching from one to another.  Google did change something but it's working fine for all the other Gnex variants, it's only the Sprint Gnex that has an issue and that lays it firmly in Samsungs court.

It's working fine on the others because they aren't using CDMA. The issue occurs only when switching between 4G and 3G or WiFi and 3G. The issue won't occur if switching between WiFi and 4G which points to it being a CDMA issue.

My point was that people keep saying Sprint (or other carriers) create the updates...or when they get a build from Samsung or LG or whoever, they modify it and insert their "bloatware" or make other modifications. That isn't true. The update with bloatware comes straight from the manufacturer. Every leaked update I've seen for a Samsung Android phone has been leaked through Samsung...with all Sprint bloat included. Also, if Sprint were to modify something after Samsung, the build would not have a time listed in KST (Korean Standard Time). About all Sprint can do with software problems is to tell the manufacturer to fix it.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the Nexus 5 since a version that works on Sprint is available from Google. So something regarding CDMA had to have changed for Google to be able to sell and update it directly now.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I could careless whos fault it is. Or what function or binary of the device. We finally get some 4G service and the update is not fully functional.

That Nexus 5 is looking better everday.

Can I get a tip on how to dismiss the update? It is downloaded and waiting for me to install. Or can I even dismiss it since it is downloaded? Thanks in advance.

Highlighted

Scott7710 wrote:

I could careless whos fault it is. Or what function or binary of the device. We finally get some 4G service and the update is not fully functional.

That Nexus 5 is looking better everday.

Can I get a tip on how to dismiss the update? It is downloaded and waiting for me to install. Or can I even dismiss it since it is downloaded? Thanks in advance.

4G works fine...as long as it doesn't fall back to 3G...that's where the problems start.

I think you can ignore the update even if it is downloaded, but it will keep bugging you about installing it.

Be careful on the Nexus 5 if you aren't in an officially announced 4G market or in a market that is just starting to turn on 4G. Appears to be a lot of issues with the Nexus 5 and not completed 4G networks. Also, the Nexus 5 (and other tri-band phones) do not support voice and data at the same time on Sprint.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat