cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really Sprint? latest galaxy nexus update!!

Re: Really Sprint? latest galaxy nexus update!!

Sprint Triband LTE phones dropped SVLTE for eCSFB/CSFB

Up until these new Triband devices, previous Sprint LTE devices supported simultaneous voice and LTE (SVLTE). It could do so with two separate transmission paths from the antennas to the chipset. Voice/texting could run via 1xRTT on one transmission path. LTE could run a separate path, allowing data and voice to be used simultaneously.

In contrast, Sprint Triband LTE devices do not support two separate transmission paths. They have one path, shared by voice and data. We were alerted to this months in advance. However, we did not realize that the network would have to run on Circuit Switched Fallback in order for this to work and what the ramifications of this would be.

S4GRU was told by a source this past summer that Sprint and the OEM’s came to the conclusion that these new Triband LTE devices could not use SVLTE in the conventional way they used to, and it would require a lot of engineering, testing and cost to even attempt such a design change. It was decided to release Triband LTE devices without SVLTE. It may seem that the only drawback for doing that is Sprint Triband LTE devices would not be able to run simultaneous LTE data while on a phone call or when actively transmitting a text. But there is another. And it’s why many early adopters of these new Triband LTE smartphones no longer are being able to connect to Sprint LTE in many places that they used to.

Journeyman

Is it possible to downgrade back to 4.2?  I failed to check if there were any problems before upgrading to 4.3, and I've been suffering from this ever since.  I'm getting pretty desperate to get rid of this issue.

Yes, you can go back to 4.2. It will require installing drivers for the phone on your PC as well as downloading the android SDK, the factory image from Google and manually issuing several commands through your PC. The process will completely wipe your phone. You can find instructions on how to do this on several sites.

Also, if you go back to 4.2, you will be forever bugged to install 4.3.

Journeyman

The best answer is to read about it here: Nexus 5 and LG G2 experience temporary Sprint LTE connectivity issues . Its a decent read and gives you more details on the issue coasterphotos is talking about.

If you wish to know where your hometown stands in the LTE upgrade to maybe upgrade to Nexus 5 (or any other tri-band phone) check your city here: Network Vision/LTE Deployment Running List

Journeyman

Thanks for the links this is good stuff. I found a ton of info there.

I found a link to the LTE discovery app in the forum.

That is a cool app, I am in an emerging market area.

I find it so cool to be able to locate the LTE towers in my area and watch to see when new one come on line.

It doesn't fix the tri band issues or why the Gnex doesn't get KitKat OS.

Your post lead me to some good info.

Journeyman

The Galaxy Nexus has nothing to do with this as this only applies to Tri-Band Phones.

I think this is an isolated issue with the 4.3 update as 4.2.1 was working fine before the upgrade. I also would like to get feedback from Sprint and see if they are aware of the issue and working on a solution for the customers that are experiencing these issues.

Journeyman

I think you didnt read the whole conversation but we were talking about tri-bands phones for a moment.

On another note:

I was able to Upgrade my phone from Sprint OTA 4.3 Release and was also having radio switching issues. I was able to reflash the radio to the radio i had before (4.2.1) and still have 4.3 installed. For the past two days, havent had any issues.

sal_22 wrote:

The Galaxy Nexus has nothing to do with this as this only applies to Tri-Band Phones.

I think this is an isolated issue with the 4.3 update as 4.2.1 was working fine before the upgrade. I also would like to get feedback from Sprint and see if they are aware of the issue and working on a solution for the customers that are experiencing these issues.

Someone mentioned upgrading to a Nexus 5 and I pointed out some issues with it that apply to all tri-band phones which then turned into a longer discussion because someone didn't seem to understand what I was talking about.

Yes, the data issue is definitely because of 4.3. Unfortunately if the issue is in 4.3 itself, I have a feeling it may never be fixed since Google has moved on to 4.4 and left the Galaxy Nexus behind. If it is a Google issue and they won't fix it, there is probably nothing Sprint can do to fix it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Dshadow, coasterphotos:

Sorry if I missed some of the conversation but i thought you guys were referring to the Nexus 5 connectivity issues with the Galaxy Nexus issues.

I think Sprint or Google both should address this issue. Work as a quality engineer, when we have issues with customer sites we provide the best solution to please the customer and make them happy, at least acknowledge that a fix is under way.

Journeyman

Let me know if that solved your issue, and if your willing to help me flash my radios to the ones from 4.2.1.

sal_22 wrote:

Dshadow, coasterphotos:

Sorry if I missed some of the conversation but i thought you guys were referring to the Nexus 5 connectivity issues with the Galaxy Nexus issues.

I think Sprint or Google both should address this issue. Work as a quality engineer, when we have issues with customer sites we provide the best solution to please the customer and make them happy, at least acknowledge that a fix is under way.

The problem with Sprint addressing it is that they have nothing to do with the software. With the Galaxy Nexus Samsung actually creates the updates for the phone. So if the problem is related to the radios, Samsung may be able to do something on their end. If it is in the Android OS itself, that would be like asking HP to fix a Windows bug. Google changed something between 4.2 and 4.3. It's just a matter of it is something that can be fixed in the radios provided by Samsung. People need to notify all 3 companies about the issue as it seems to affect everyone.

Before upgrading to the Nexus 5 I tried going back to the previous radios on my Gnex. It didn't help with the issue...although the signal was much better on the older radios.

Journeyman

I was able to set up the GA02 radios,  I had one day which I had to toggle airplane mode to get things to sync up but since that day (Monday) I haven't had to toggle airplane mode and the phone's radio has been switching between Wi-Fi, 4g, 3g and roaming seamlessly. I don't know if the system restore I did before hand did anything to help but can't complain on my end

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat