cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Galaxy Nexus 3G Signal Issues (Philadelphia area)

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint Galaxy Nexus 3G Signal Issues (Philadelphia area)

Been a Sprint customer for 10+ years now, and have actually never had an issue with the service up until this point.  Previous phone was an HTC EVO which worked great on 3G and the 4G WiMax network in Philadelphia was strong and pretty quick.  I got the EVO when it first came out, so it's aged quite a bit over time.  I decided to pre-purchase the Sprint version of the Galaxy Nexus as soon as I found it this device was coming to the Sprint network.  Out of the box and on my home wifi network the phone is amazing, no complaints at all.  However, I am not at home most of the time.  First day out on the town I realized just how lackluster the 3G signal was, in comparison to my EVO in the same areas.  I don't think I've ever had more than 2 bars of 3G signal, and pretty much every single application crawls because of it (Facebook, Grooveshark/Pandora, Play Store/Market, etc..).  When I'm on wifi, these services are extremely quick. 

This is a major disappointment for what is supposed to be a powerhouse device.  Considering that pre-purchase sold out just a couple of days after it opened, I expect Sprint is working closely with Samsung on a patch to improve radio/signal strength as this device off of a wifi connection is pretty much unusable. 

For comparison's sake (I am an Android developer and have access to quite a few phones) I performed various tests (opening google, loading play store/market, facebook) on my old EVO (on 3G), a Verizon galaxy nexus (on 3G with LTE radio disabled), and the Sprint Galaxy nexus.  Guess which one finished dead last in every test?  Sprint Galaxy Nexus.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Sprint Galaxy Nexus 3G Signal Issues (Philadelphia area)

RMDAGGET85, Where exactly are you having the issue? can you provide the nearest cross streets city and zip to where you are having this issue? Is it one location or multiple? I have assisted other customers with issues in Philidelphia and found there were some outage and towers being upgraded,

Journeyman

I COMPLETELY concurr with everything you say.  For a flagship device, data services on this thing are completely unusable off of a WiFi network.  TOTALLY unacceptable Sprint.

lilgeekygirl, it's NOT due to outages or upgrading towers.  Nice try...  This phone sucks.

theo_737, I apologize I was not indicating that this particular issue was due to an outage I was just stating that there are tower upgrades and outage in philidelphia that I found when assisting other customers with the same issue in PA. But you can also check for an up coming tower upgrades in your area by going to https://network.sprint.com/.

GrandMaster

there have been some hit and miss issues with data connection/reception on that device. hit and miss as in some customers have it and others dont.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/buzzaboutwireless/phones-and-devices/samsung/galaxy_nexus?...

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
GrandMaster

better yet

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/88845?tstart=0

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat