cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Galaxy Nexus 4.2.1 Update Rolling Out...

Journeyman
9 REPLIES
Highlighted

Re: Sprint Galaxy Nexus 4.2.1 Update Rolling Out...

Interesting article, we have no word on when this update will be released. Once we do have some information, this will be the place to see the announcement first.

TheFifthLetter

Sprint Social Media Care Team

Journeyman

http://www.androidcentral.com/42-update-sprint-galaxy-nexus-live-google-s-servers-ripe-picking

Hopefully an OTA goes out soon but im sure you can find root-free instructions someplace...

Journeyman

Journeyman

There won't be any root free instructions, it's won't pass md5 matching for an update.zip, and in order to flash via custom recovery, you need the phone to be rooted. Like CNET states, the update is around the corner, sprint knows it leaked, therefore the normal 2 week average might be shortened and an OTA will be pushed shortly.

Journeyman

Actually... There are lots of root-free directions floating around right now. I am neither rooted or unlocked and I am currently running 4.2. I don't plan to root until I have to but I have done it on previous phones. The directions for updating to 4.2 are only as far away as a Google search and once you have all the files and drivers you need it takes about 5 minutes to apply.

The link posted in the cnet article is to the file on Google's update server...and is the same file that would be pushed to phones OTA. No need to be rooted, have a unlocked bootloader or custom recovery for that file.

Journeyman

I corrected myself in a different thread. You guys at correct... I'm new to the vanilla devices Smiley Tongue. Thanks for pointing that out.

Journeyman

I like your way of stating your rooted, lol, i don't care sprint knows anyone who buys a google branded device will root. I've been rooted and running 4.2.1 since the day it leaked, Just that this being my first google nexus and understanding how the updates come from google just have to be sprint approved, i didn't think it was possible. Tried many times on many handsets in the past.

Journeyman

Sprint users on other forums are reporting that they are receiving 4.2.1 OTA on their devices today. (using the google services framework trick).

I haven't received it yet, but looks like today is the day we get the official OTA to 4.2.1

Hopefully, Sprint will get notified about this update sometime soon too

Community News

Having trouble posting or viewing your Private Messages? We made an update to the Community registration process which requires you to validate your email, click here to read more about it.