Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Galaxy Nexus 4.2 Update Release Date Time Line

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint Galaxy Nexus 4.2 Update Release Date Time Line

Well since I would like to get this up in search results as fast as possible. I know as of writing this today 4.2 is not official" . However in a few days with the Nexus 4 it will be. So now how long will it take for the Sprint Galaxy Nexus to be Updated to Android 4.2 Jelly Bean?

54 REPLIES 54
Journeyman

Re: Sprint Galaxy Nexus 4.2 Update Release Date Time Line

well looks like 4.2 is offical today...

Journeyman

Anything from Sprint if current galaxy nexus users will see this upgrade?  Not asking for a specific date, just if it is in the plans?

I m hopingsince 4.1 just came out for the device, that 4.2 would be an easy upgrade.

Journeyman

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/13/3639462/galaxy-nexus-android-4-2-ota-download

so looks like the GSM Nexus are getting this today

This is the EXACT reason I picked my girlfriend up a nexus 4 today and she will be unlocked on tmobile....

so 'sprint' any idea when our PURE GOOGLE nexus will be updated?

Journeyman

Will someone from Sprint please respond? I'm really starting to regret moving to Sprint after all the LTE delays and now update delays.

Journeyman

Samsung doesn't even admit there's an update.  Chat w/"support" is useless.  Duh.  I really thought the Google phone would be getting updates a bit faster.  Oh well.  Waiting to see a post from a Sprint rep.  NOT holding my breath.

Journeyman

With all the bugs associated with 4.2 I am glad sprint has not released it yet.  Get it fixed and then get it out to the handsets.

Journeyman

I was hoping that since 4.1 is finally in AOSP for toroplus that future updates would come a little quicker.

Looks like no. This is why the nexus is not coming to Verizon or Sprint. You guys at Sprint really need to figure this out.

With the popularity of the new nexus line, people are being educated about prepaid options.

In the future people are going to want the nexus phones and the updates and the features they provide.

They will leave the carriers to do it. I like Sprint and am still patiently waiting for LTE, but I won't buy another

Non nexus phone. I'll keep my Gnex until next year when hopefully you can show Google that you are

Willing to put a device in AOSP. You want to move up from being number three? Getting updates figured out is a great place to start.

Having a device in AOSP has nothing to do with the updates. The Verizon Galaxy Nexus has been in AOSP for a while, and it gets updates slower than Sprint. The AOSP is to make files available to the public. It doesn't mean Google does the updates. Out of the many variants of the Galaxy Nexus there are only a couple directly updated by Google, the rest are updated by Samsung. If you want a phone that is updated by Google, you need to buy the phone from them and have a GSM carrier. That is your only option and probably always will be. The Nexus is not a big seller and Sprint and Verizon probably don't really care they aren't getting the new one. Samsung even used the poor sales of the Galaxy Nexus as defense in Apple's lawsuit against them. As far as the Nexus 4...it doesn't even support LTE.

Journeyman

while all that is true Google originally sited not having the proprietary cdma drivers as to the original holdup on Sprint and Verizon. while the previous nexus might not have sold well that seems to be changing since the nexus 7 was released. All I'm really saying is that if I  was Sprint I  would do whatever necessary to get the updates for all devices figured out.  Even if most of the process lies with the manufacturer it is ultimately Sprint providing the service and who customers come to with issues.  From the little bit that I  read the forums I  get the sense that it's important to a lot people.  People are becoming more knowledgeable about their devices,  after all they're not just phones anymore and customers want the features the updates provide. I knew the Sprint version of the Gnex was gimped going in, I just hope that in the future it doesn't have to be that way. I also hope that they can get it figured out so Google will make the next nexus available to Sprint cause I'm on a family plan which will be a huge pain to break off.

Journeyman

You know by the time google fixes the new 4.2 and pushes that out.... Sprint should just be pushing out the busted 4.2..... Sigh

My gf is on tmobile with a nexus 4. hspa+ gets her 10 down 4 up at most areas. 60 bucks a month.

my Galaxy nexus on sprint at launch cost me basicly the same as her unlocked device. also in LA where i can get LTE I get about the same speeds as her for 90 a month.....

Yep never again...

But please sprint you have me locked in for atleast a year. still have time to change your ways.....

EDIT:

Also was very nice for the tmobile guy to admit I knew more about phones then him when we went into their store to activate it. - (this should not happen i follow cell stuff as a hobby, its not my job)

Journeyman

I would like Sprint to at least publish an estimate of how long they expect the Android updates to hit the Sprint phones after Google releases them.  Since the Galaxy Nexus is in fact a Google Experience phone, one would expect that it would get the updates in a timely manner.   The only difference between the systems *should* be the radio...and I would hope they have a common API (probably not, but one can hope).

It seems that Sprint is teaching me a lesson.  If I want a phone that is updated in a timely manner, I'm going to have to get it direct from a vendor (e.g. Google) and go with an off-contract plan that I can control independently.  E.g. TMobile's value plan.   I have 4 Galaxy Nexus devices that I just upgrade from 4 HTC EVO devices.   Looks like I'll take this business elsewhere. I hope TMobile can expand it's network like crazy and make GSM prevalent everywhere.    If they build it out, I'm sure people will come.

It's frustrating to not even hear a peep from Sprint about these issues.  This would be good business and they'd get a lot more people coming over to their service.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat