Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Galaxy Nexus 4.2 Update Release Date Time Line

Go to solution
Journeyman

Sprint Galaxy Nexus 4.2 Update Release Date Time Line

Well since I would like to get this up in search results as fast as possible. I know as of writing this today 4.2 is not official" . However in a few days with the Nexus 4 it will be. So now how long will it take for the Sprint Galaxy Nexus to be Updated to Android 4.2 Jelly Bean?

54 REPLIES 54

I don't believe Sprint is advertising the Galaxy Nexus as a "Google Experience Phone" nor do they advertise anything about fast updates. Google doesn't update the Sprint version, Samsung does.

So yes, you are right...if you want a phone with quick updates you need to buy it from Google and use it with a GSM carrier.

As far as the update from 4.1 to 4.2...it's really pretty small. The new features on the camera are neat...but not very practicle for everyday use. I've been running a 4.2 ROM for a while and honestly other than the camera and they keyboard being changed to pretty much incorporate swype like functions into it, there isn't really much difference in performance.

Journeyman

It's advertised as being a Google phone by being called a nexus. I would wager that the lack of timely updates is the exact reason that the new nexus 4 is not coming to Sprint or Verizon. The new nexus 4 is very popular. If I was Sprint I would do all I could to get the next version to come to their network. I don't think the carriers want people leaving for prepaid. Hopefully the new CEO of the company that just bought most of Sprint is listening. Updates are important to customers.

avadakazebra wrote:

It's advertised as being a Google phone by being called a nexus. I would wager that the lack of timely updates is the exact reason that the new nexus 4 is not coming to Sprint or Verizon. The new nexus 4 is very popular. If I was Sprint I would do all I could to get the next version to come to their network. I don't think the carriers want people leaving for prepaid. Hopefully the new CEO of the company that just bought most of Sprint is listening. Updates are important to customers.

Okay...but if you read the specs and claims on Sprint's page it still doesn't say anything about fast updates nor does it call it a google experience phone.

What are you basing your claim of the Nexus 4 being "very popular" on? Because they sold out? With not knowing how many were available, you can't really base popularity on that.

Even if the Nexus 4 came to Sprint I wouldn't get it as it doesn't have LTE and Google wants it that way. So even on GSM carriers, you don't get LTE.

The number 1 selling mobile phone in the past few months has been the Galaxy S3, even surpassing Iphone sales.

Journeyman

I'm not really sure why you're defending them. Carriers need to be better about updates. I think everybody can agree on that. When I got my Gnex I knew it was a gimped version, however it's no secret that many users were initially surprised when Verizon and Sprint did not get updates out alongside the gsm version. If you look at original reviews of the phone all of them pointed out fast updates as a feature of the galaxy nexus. Sprints web site says "pure Google" right next to the phone.

And yes the s3 is the most popular phone, but it does not mean that the 4 is not. I am going to go with sold out for almost two months as popular as far as that goes. I'm really not trying to argue, I'm just trying to impress upon Sprint the importance of updates to their users, however futile my posts on their forum might be.

I hope you can dig that and have a nice day.

Yes, carriers need to be better about updates but I really think when it comes down to it, most people that buy a phone don't care. Yes, there are those that do, but I would put money on there are more people that don't care than do care. I've seen just as many if not more people complaining about the fact they got an update and now things have changed, features don't work the same, features have been removed, new bugs, etc, etc. This of course is a problem with ALL carriers and manufacturers, not just Sprint. The only phone it isn't a problem with is a Nexus bought directly from Google.

That is the one benefit the Iphone has over an Android phone. There is only 1 Iphone, Apple makes it, Apple updates it where as with Android there are dozens of phones all with their own software tweaks from the manufacturers and carriers.

As far as fast updates...How fast is fast? I'd say the update to the Gnex was fast...compared to other Sprint and Verizon updates.

Journeyman

True and true. Here is my real concern though, and I could be wrong about this but, its my best guess. I really do think that if the updates to the Gnex had been handled as expected that the latest nexus would have come to Sprint. I've owned a few phones, I've had an iPhone 4s, an epic touch 4g, and now a galaxy nexus. For me I love my phone, and actually I love Sprint, I get great coverage here in salt lake city even though I'm still waiting for LTE. I'm really hoping that the next nexus will come to Sprint cause after having this one I will never buy a skinned phone again. I don't want to have to make a choice between phone and carrier. I would just like to stay with Sprint and upgrade. So here's hoping that whatever has to be done can be. I really hope Google and Sprint can get along.

Journeyman

coasterphotos wrote:

Even if the Nexus 4 came to Sprint I wouldn't get it as it doesn't have LTE and Google wants it that way. So even on GSM carriers, you don't get LTE.

Actually, there is a LTE chip on the Nexus 4, and it can actually be enabled (only support for LTE on Band 4 (AWS) with bandwidths up to 20 MHz)

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6474/nexus-4-includes-support-for-lte-on-band-4-aws

http://www.gsmarena.com/lte_can_be_enabled_on_the_nexus_4_works_on_canadian_networks-news-5116.php

(Just to be clear: I'm NOT saying that it will work on Sprint's LTE network)

Journeyman

It's hard to release an accurate timeline for such a process when it is handled by so many different entities. Carriers should get better about it, yes, but OEMs hold just as much of the blame for the process being so muddled.

As coasterphotos said, most people do not even purchase phones on the premise of an update, and never will. It is nice to know you'll have the latest software, and if that's important to you then it would be wise to go with an unlocked device.

Journeyman

Nexus 4 doesn't need LTE... It gets 42mps download on HSPA+.

Journeyman

Well, 42mbps is the maximum that the technology (DC-HSPA+/HSDPA) can support, that doesn't mean that the device gets it every time. To put it in perspective, LTE as a technology can support up to 100mbps down - but, as you know that is rarely, rarely, the case.

Journeyman

To be fair.. this was pushed as a "pure google" phone. To me thats the full experience, with fast updates.

4.2 camera upgrade is perfect UI wise. and the 360 thing is a must have. Yet I don't...

And pushing people to go with an "unlocked" device basically is telling people.. buy a nexus 4 and go to TMobile.. Which my GF has and honestly once my contracts up. So Will I.... Thanks for the advice! -_-

Journeyman
Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat