cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint why do you punish us with not supporting AOSP?

Re: Sprint why do you punish us with not supporting AOSP?

The issue is with the CDMA2000 technology. It is proprietary and not open source...and not necessarily because of Sprint or Verizon, but Qualcomm who owns the technology. LTE won't have anything to do with it because LTE is data only. Voice will still be CDMA.

Also, Sprint doesnt do software updates, the phone manufacturer does.

Journeyman

I heard about a tech VoLTE (voice over LTE) with LTE being data i take it that's basically a VoIP style call aka Skype??  I heard that verizon was playing with that.  If that works couldn't we technically get rid of CDMA completely?

I think something like that would require a lot of changes and probably something that wouldn't happen any time soon. 3G data, 1x data and text messages all currently are part of the CDMA tech. Also, currently roaming only works on 1x CDMA on Verizon towers, so if you didn't have a Sprint LTE signal, you'd have no service at all as the 2 LTE technologies are different and not compatible with each other.

Highlighted
Journeyman

oh...ouch thanks for clearing that up for me i didn't realize all that ran over cdma.

Wizard

Seems like another reason to avoid Sprint and their version of GNex.  The battery life on the Sprint Version is significantly less than the GSM GNex from Google running on T-Mobile.  The Sprint was down to 47% just receiving mail and 25 minutes of calls in only 5 hours while the GSM version was only to 87% running hotspot all morning and surfing the Internet and posting.  The T-Mobile version regularly lasts all day.  I have to keep the Sprint version near an AC Adapter.  It looks like the weak Sprint network causes the phone to search constantly for a signal. It also runs significantly hotter than the GSM version also most likely related to turning up the juice to try and maintain a signal. 

I hope LTE next week really boosts performance. 

Cheers,

Community News

Having trouble posting or viewing your Private Messages? We made an update to the Community registration process which requires you to validate your email, click here to read more about it.