cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHEN WILL SPRINT SAMSUNG GALAXY NEXUS RECEIVE ANDROID 4.1 JELLY BEAN UPDATE

Highlighted
Journeyman

WHEN WILL SPRINT SAMSUNG GALAXY NEXUS RECEIVE ANDROID 4.1 JELLY BEAN UPDATE

In October, my contract will end. I want to stay with Sprint because I have been a loyal customer since 2008. I want to upgrade to Samsung Nexus. Researching other cellular companies, I have discover that their version of Samsung Nexus has Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. Sprint version has Android 4.04 Ice Cream Sandwich. Will Sprint receive a update for the Samsung Nexus? If so, when? Will the update be available in October 2012? When the update is available, will Sprint send it our phones? I am so confused.  Please help me.

16 REPLIES 16
Journeyman

Re: WHEN WILL SPRINT SAMSUNG GALAXY NEXUS RECEIVE ANDROID 4.1 JELLY BEAN UPDATE

Its very hard to tell with sprint I was hoping for a purely Google galaxy nexus when I bought mine then I found out all the updates are done by sprint which take FOREVER for them to release but they keep saying soon but we might get it in October but still not positive also if your going to upgrade to the nexus I would wait for the new galaxy nexus that should be here in the next couple months which should replace the current nexus and have way better stuff on it and already be running jelly bean

Journeyman

Best advice?

Wait for what ever NEW Nexus Google puts out in November and buy it directly from them. pay the extra 200 bucks for it unlocked and you will always be on the latest build. However you will have to make the switch to AT&T or tmobile, but be contract free (not that it really matter anyways)

Wizard

Sprint spends significant time testing device OS upgrades to be sure they are as stable as possible before making them available to Customers. Obviously, no upgrade goes perfectly, but they do a pretty good job overall. I would prefer to wait a few months for something that works well, rather than get something early that isn't quite as stable.

Journeyman

Sprint probably has to take all that extra time making sure CarrierIQ or some other spyware works well in your phone.    Seriously though, I bought a Galaxy Nexus for a pure Google experience and to receive updates as Google releases them.  I would be fine dealing with any bugs that may come through since I know that Google would push an update out very quick to fix any problems, or that I could revert to a previous version if needed.  I don't need Sprint to do extra QA and delay updates to my phone!

Wizard

Hey, no fair with the CarrierIQ cheap shot! The tech press really let us all down with their absolutely ignorant portrayal of that product. Don't even get me started about the doofus that "blew the whistle" in that first YouTube video. Very few people ever understood what the video demonstrated, what the product was doing, and what makes it so valuabe to wireless customers.

But enough of that. You might not care if an Android release is premature, beta, buggy, and I wouldn't either, but I'm sure you can appreciate that Sprint can't get away with that sort of bleeding edge treatment for mainstream customers. It would be nice if there was a beta group we could opt into, some way of getting pre-release or early access to OS versions. Unfortunately, there's no conventional path to do that, although I can think of other ways. <nudge nudge> <wink wink>

Journeyman

Hi , you can actualy update your phone  yourself. just google jellybean 4.1.1 rom..you will find all the info yuou need to update yourself tutorial videos and alot of forum feedback to make it a very easy process , even for the most computer newbie out there . if you wait on sprint , samsung and or google it might not happen till christmas .... with all the legal trouble with the  galaxly nexus phones we may never get the update if apple gets them pulled from the selves .

Wizard

Yea, looks like you have to root to get that done. That's why I said <nudge nudge> <wink wink>. Sprint does not sanction rooting your device. I will neither confirm nor deny whether my device is rooted.

Journeyman

these last post just make me sad inside...

Wizard

Think about it, mobius. Sprint has to provide customer care over the phone. If the customer care rep can't count on finding a specific OS on a specific type of device, then the whole model blows up.

Master

Also some of the custom roms take over the air update capability away from the device.  Even the ability to program the device.  When a rom removes a functionality we have no way to fix the device.  

Journeyman

Personally I could really careless about any of it . I was just letting the whiners know if they want it its there.

But I will say being a developer myself . Its very possible for the custom ROMs to actually work better.

I run ONLY custom OS' on my computers and they BLOW the doors off anything MICROSTUPID has ever put out.

At this stage I know nothing about android I am learning .its a whole new world for me .So as for rooting flashing and all that all I can say is watch the videos . Right now I am just not gutzy enough to try it myself.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat