Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When originating text message; drops area code from # if same as mine

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

When originating text message; drops area code from # if same as mine

This problem just started a few days ago.  If I originate a text message by entering a contact name that pulls from my address book, it shows the full 10 digit number, but when I press the send key, it attempts to send using only the last 7 digits of their phone number and drops the area code...resulting in an error and the message not being sent.  This is only happening with contacts that share the same area code as I have.  Any suggestions?  I'm sure it's something simple... I hope.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: When originating text message; drops area code from # if same as mine

Ok, I looked into it and it appears one fix is to factory reset the device then restore the contacts from your gmail account. The only other suggestion I came across is to not start a new text via the message app and only do it through the phone book or only type in the number if you are originating it from the app.  Sorry, I was not able to find anything more for you.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Journeyman

That'd be annoying.  Are you using the stock messaging client or did you download and use another app for messaging like Chomp?

-Alex

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hey, Alex, it is the stock messaging service/app that came with the phone.  If I go to my address book, I can send a text correctly from there, but if I click on the messaging icon to send a text, I get the dropping of the 3 digit area code if it is the same as mine.  It's really strange and just started happening.  I even reset to "factory settings" and no change.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I know this is silly, but I've been researching the issue and it turns out the parentheses ( ) confuses Jelly Bean. You're not rooted are you? That could be one of the reasons or it could be something else entirely. Does it happen when you create a new message and manually type the number in? 

-Alex

Highlighted
Journeyman

Alex, I don't know what "rooted" means.  Now that you mention it, this did start happening just after the last push-out upgrade.  And, if I enter the number manually, it works okay.  What is "rooted?"

Highlighted
Journeyman

Rooting is involved when you install a custom ROM on your device.  It doesn't sound like you've rooted your device. So is it when you reply to a text or try to start a brand new text to someone?

-Alex

Social Care

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi, Alex.  When it doesn't happen when I reply to a text message, only when I originate one using the text icon and type in someone's name.  If I go to my address book and choose message from there, it works fine.  And, when I reply to a message sent to me, it works fine. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ok, I looked into it and it appears one fix is to factory reset the device then restore the contacts from your gmail account. The only other suggestion I came across is to not start a new text via the message app and only do it through the phone book or only type in the number if you are originating it from the app.  Sorry, I was not able to find anything more for you.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks so much for your help.  I'll try the factory reset.  It's more annoying and inconvenient than anything else.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat