cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GV (integration option 2) call from MOBILE APPEARS AS LANDLINE!! Charges other Mobile # even on same Family Plan.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: GV (integration option 2) call from MOBILE APPEARS AS LANDLINE!! Charges other Mobile # even on same Family Plan.

@ClaudiPo

I have to say that this is a pretty disappointing answer, and is obviously not what people were expecting by choosing to integrate with Option 2. "Sorry folks, but that's the way it is, so deal with it" is essentially what you're saying here. If this is "expected behavior" then Sprint NEEDS to be proactive, and inform people of this. I personally have no desire to use my Sprint number as my GV number, however I do have a need to integrate my GV number to my Sprint phone.

Let's, at least, be proactive and get this information out there before users start incurring huge overage fees, after integrating with Option 2. That's the right thing to do, anyway.

Journeyman

GV (integration option 2) call from MOBILE APPEARS AS LANDLINE!! Charges other Mobile # even on same Family Plan.

How can I then cancel OPTION 2 and do OPTION 1?

DANE737 wrote:

How can I then cancel OPTION 2 and do OPTION 1?

You would have to log into the Google Voice website and remove the integration. Wait about 30 minutes (to be sure) that it is gone. Then start the integration again (choosing the other option obviously).

Wizard

Re: GV (integration option 2) call from MOBILE APPEARS AS LANDLINE!! Charges other Mobile # even on same Family Plan.

The message has been passed on to the various groups..

This might be duplicate information now, but here's a summary provided by Product on this:

For users who chose to use their Sprint number as their GV # (option 1), all  calls displaying the Sprint mobile number, whether made from the Sprint handset  or from the GV website will count as mobile-to-mobile minutes for the caller and  the recipient. For customers who chose to use their Google Voice # when making  calls on their Sprint phone (option 2), all calls displaying the Google Voice  number, made from the Sprint handset will count as mobile-to-mobile minutes for the  caller. They won't count as mobile-to-mobile minutes for the recipient. Calls made  from the Google Voice portal will NOT count as Mobile to Mobile minutes only  from the Sprint handset.

Keep in mind that this applies to subscriptions that have mobile-to-mobile on them.

Journeyman

ClaudiPo - I am a bit confused by your post regarding option 2:

"Calls made  from the Google Voice portal will NOT count as Mobile to Mobile minutes only  from the Sprint handset."

I have read this several times, and it seems to need clarification. I think you are stating that when I use the GV portal website on my computer, and I don't use my Sprint handset to answer the GV connect call, but use my landline phone, there is NO charge for this usage. However, if I answer my website GV connect call from the GV portal with my Sprint handset, there WILL be a charge to my mobile minutes.

On the other hand, with option 1, using the GV website portal will be free of anytime minute charge by using Mobile Anytime minutes.

Am I correct?

Master

Sorry for confusion.  option one  when you make a call from your phone and the call sees your sprint number  these are mobile to mobile calls

Option 2 If you make the call and the customer sees your Google voice number  The call will be mobile to mobile for you  but  mobile to landline for them

hope that helps

Journeyman

Now I'm very confused. I thought if you used option #1 this would be considered a mobile to mobile call. I found out today when I call other Sprint customers during the week days they are getting a hit on their minutes (although I'm not). Since I never had a google number I did use my Sprint number so I was under the impression that since they are Sprint customers also the minutes would not apply to them. I do like google voice but if this is the case I don't want to be the cause of someone going over their minutes so will probably disable google voice at least for now. If I do disable google voice would I be able to reactive in the future? Thanks.

Journeyman

halcyoncmdr134 wrote:

Google Voice/Sprint integration is still being worked out. It is the first time that this has been attempted by Google and a Carrier worldwide, there are going to be issues. It seems most people seem to forget that. Unfortunately at this point I doubt this issue is something Sprint can fix directly because it is how Google has the numbers setup. I would recommend posting on the Google forums if you haven't already because their end is where the number is listed as a landline.

The GV integration team at Sprint already knows about the issues being reported. It may get fixed if it is possible, or it may be a limitation due to the way number licensing has to be done through the FCC, etc. I don't know, and its probably going to take a bit to find out. The GV integration itself still isn't available to a lot of customers due to other issues so I don't even know if this is going to be high on the list of things to work on, I don't have access to that information.

This is such a typical lame Sprint response, blame it on another party and send the customer somewhere else. Problems with your phone? Blame it on the manufacturer, Sprint takes absolutely no responsibility whatsoever. Shame on you for posting that nonsense.

I understand that the numbers are tagged by Google as landlines in the database, that's an issue.The problem to the Sprint customer is in Sprint's billing system. Google can't change the "type tag" from landline to mobile, so Sprint needs to make an adjustment for these numbers in their billing system. If a customer is paying for anytime mobile to mobile then thast is exactly what they should expect and what they should receive. There should not be "ifs, buts, and whens" when you market something as "Any Mobile, Any Time"

Wizard

This type of "catch-all" solution, if it's even possible, would then prompt an issue where any google voice number, Sprint integrated otherwise, would be billed as a mobile phone. So halcyoncmdr134 is correct in stating that this issue must be resolved on the google end, at the point when the Google Voice number is integrated.

Journeyman

DONALIEN wrote:

This type of "catch-all" solution, if it's even possible, would then prompt an issue where any google voice number, Sprint integrated otherwise, would be billed as a mobile phone. So halcyoncmdr134 is correct in stating that this issue must be resolved on the google end, at the point when the Google Voice number is integrated.

Why would a customer care if every call received from a Google Voice number, integrated or otherwise, is billed as a mobile call rather than a landline call?

The solution suggested is hardly a "catch-all." I would think that Sprint would be notified when the Google Voice number is integrated since this becomes the customer's new and eventually permenant phone number. In other words, the number is married to the account. Would it not be possible to add that phone number to a "do not bill" database that is checked by the billing system?

Community News

Having trouble posting or viewing your Private Messages? We made an update to the Community registration process which requires you to validate your email, click here to read more about it.