cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Voice not picking up (*28 does not work - here's the fix)

Highlighted
Journeyman

Google Voice not picking up (*28 does not work - here's the fix)

Short Version

Google Voice still reports to use *28(GV #) to forward your voicemail to google voice, and *38(GV #) to cancel.  This is incorrect.

The new numbers are *73(GV #) to forward, and *730(GV #) to cancel.

See below for additional GV capabilities.

Details:

Sprint tech support did not know their system changed a almost two months ago and their scripts are not updated.  I called support a few times trying to figure it out and received incorrect information from both Level 1, Level 2 support.  They blamed Google for the *28(google voice #) not picking up and said that it belongs to google.  That is 100% incorrect, the star codes (* number) belong to the carrier.   Additionally, even though sprint has recently updated their note 4/google 4 help page, the updated information was missing the key change of using *73(phone #) instead of *28(phone #).

When adding a Sprint phone to Google Voice, the GV in-line directions have not updated to use *73 instead of *28 possibly because (a) sprint doesn't realize their own processes are broken and thus (b) didn't tell Google.  This leaves customers floundering.   But you can find the answers in the Google Voice support pages -- your source for better information on Sprint than Sprint itself.

Here's a summary of all the steps to take from all the support pages.  You probably just have to skip to the bottom with the new * codes for conditional call forwarding.

Full details, with all Sprint / Google Voice Fixes

The answer was here:  https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/voice/qPeivfIY8QE

The Sprint *28(forward number) is no longer valid as of about 27 March 2016.  Follow the steps below to use Google Voice as your Sprint voicemail.

Note that this is just for using GV as voicemail, not the full Sprint/Google Voice integration.

SPRINT CONDITIONAL CALL FORWARD

Conditional call forwarding is free and included in all plans.

There are two types of Conditional Call Forwarding you can choose from:

• Line Busy – Only sends calls to an alternate number if you have two calls active at the same time (e.g. you are on a call and have a call waiting)
  • No Answer – Only sends calls to an alternate number if you don't answer your phone

Note: You may opt to forward your calls to two different numbers for Conditional Call Forwarding by simply completing both steps 1 and 2 below. You can forward calls to one number when your mobile number is busy, and a different number if you do not answer.

Setup instructions and Star (*) codes for managing each type of conditional call forward are listed below.  After each * code,

- You might hear a robotic confirmation and/or beep, then you may disconnect. 

- Test and verify the change by calling with a different phone.   

1.  No Answer (*73/*730)

• Turn on just Conditional Call Forward - No Answer

Dial *73 plus the 10-digit number you are forwarding your calls to (e.g. *73555-555-5555).

Press Call

Your calls will now forward to the 10-digit number you entered for when your mobile number is busy.

• Turn off conditional Call Forward - No Answer

Dial *730   >>  Press Call

Google Voice will no longer receive your voicemails. 

If you do not answer, calls will default to Sprint Voicemail (if set up) or not take voicemail.

2. Line Busy (*74/*740)

• Turn on just Conditional Call Forward - Busy

Dial *74 plus the 10-digit number you are forwarding your calls to (e.g. *74555-555-5555).

Press Call

Your calls will now forward to the 10-digit number you entered for when your mobile number is busy.

• Turn off Conditional Call Forward - Busy

Dial *740   >>   Press Call

All your calls will begin ringing on your phone again.

If you do not switch calls, they will default to Sprint Voicemail (if set up) or not take voicemail.

All other "google voice not working" issues

I followed all the Sprint instructions here

Sprint and Google Voice:  Known issues and solutions

https://www.sprint.com/landings/googlevoice/?ECID=vanity:googlevoice

- I am not a corporate, et al, customer.

- I am not using call tones or ringback tones

- My account is *not* suspended, on seasonal standby, marked as lost or stolen, or past due.

I followed all the Note 4 specific Sprint instructions here

Troubleshoot issues related to Google Voice on your Samsung Galaxy Note 4

http://support.sprint.com/support/article/Troubleshoot-issues-related-to-Google-Voice-on-your-Samsun...

- Mobile data verified turned on

- PRL updated

- Verified that Google Voice settings are configured correctly.

- I performed a battery-removed soft reset

- Signed out of Google Voice app

- Cleared all cache from Google Voice app

- Cleared all data from Google Voice app

I also followed the instructions by Red Letterman (first post) here

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/voice/Oz_4Eazekr8

- Signed out of Google Voice/powered off and on again

- Logged into Google Voice online and deleted the phone from Google Voice service

- Rebooted all the things (phone and browser)

- Added phone back to Google Voice again and dialed 2 digit code to verify

- Logged into Google Voice app on phone, skipped integration

3 REPLIES 3
Journeyman

Re: Google Voice not picking up (*28 does not work - here's the fix)

Once you got Google Voice working, have you noticed if the time it takes to forward to voicemail is extrememely short?  Mine is unreasonable... it might be 5-6 seconds.  I would have to be on my phone to respond to an incoming call before it went to voicemail.

Sprint Social Care

Hello jackspleen! Did this start only after you got Google Voice? Have you noticed if it happens with a specific number or is it with every call you get? What phone do you have?

Kelvin
Sprint Social Care
Sprint Employee

Thank you for taking the time to post, We do still offer *28 (Busy+ no answer). It is listed as a standard feature as well, more often than not these days you may find *28 gives "the feature code you've dialed is invalid" if you have wifi calling enabled. Try turning on wifi calling, and look for the disable option to correct.

No longer working Community Response.
Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.