So , all you pre owners out there .....
Help my decide , I dont want to make the same mistake I made with the instinct ...
Is this phone a keeper or should we / I return it and see what the touch pro 2 has to offer ????
Any comments ??
Its a good phone , but lacking a bunch of little things..
Is waiting for updates past the 30 day return period a good idea? I was stuck with the POS instinct because I did that..
I do like the phone but it needs , what everyone knows it needs , voice dial , text forwarding ... etc its all in the fourms ..
Is this stuff really going to happen ..... or is it time to return the phone and go back to my pocket pc and wait for the touch pro2
I hated the instinct SO much - I opted to do an ESN exchange back to the SUPER OLD PPC6700.
My opinion, keep the PRE. Palm and Sprint seem both to be very committed to making this phone a success. I honestly don't think it will be another Instinct fiasco. I'm thinking we will be seeing a lot of bug fixes in the coming months from Palm. I could be wrong, but I was an original Instinct owner, and the whole vibe seems much more positive with the PRE.
Hey Will , why dont you see if you can extend the 30day return policy for this brand new phone.
It takes longer than 30 days to see if plam and/or sprint will come out with updates to make this phone a keeper.
IN NO WAY do I want a repeat of the INSTINCT !!!!
As the first people to buy this phone and all its lacking ( dont get me wrong I LIKE the phone and am no longer UNHAPPY )
but it still needs work and the touch pro 2 may just be a better option.
I DONT WANT TO BE STUCK WITH A PHONE I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I WAS WAITING FOR UPDATES THAT NEVER COME !!
DITTO. This device seems to be 100% more stable then the Instinct, And some of the missing features are somewhat minor and I believe we will see them addressed by Sprint, Palm, Or some Third Party Developers. IMHO.
Will will not be able to get the 30 day return policy extended.
I am hoping that some features we want will be implemented soon, but no one knows for sure what will happen except Palm and they most likely won't make any official statement. As far as keeping your phone or returning it, I would base that on the phone as is. There are no guarantees there will be any added features to this phone, or if they're are, when they would be released.
If you need encouragement though, I'll give you mine. I feel a LOT better about this phone than I did in the early days with the Instinct. Developers are already releasing nice apps, and there is a buzz in the independent developer community unlike with the Instinct. For all those Instinct owners that screamed about an app store for a year, this is your phone.
Before I jumped in on the Instinct I watched some of the forums the same way I have done with the Pre. I don't really have a lot of the concerns I had before getting the Instinct, I think the major thing is Palm has a vested interest in making sure the phone is a home run, not just ok (samsung was never going to have any real financial problems if the instinct failed).
Besides anyone who uses the Contra code can get into dev mode (I'd call that open devolopment)
If I were you and I felt the way you did, I would return the phone. The Pre is not for everyone. I, too, bought the instinct and was unhappy after a while. That's because I really wanted a "smart phone." And the Instinct was no smart phone. It was a feature phone. Alot of us will tell you 'no' don't return it because 1.) the missing features are not deal breakers for us. 2.) we are optimistic that these missing features will be added.
It sounds like to me that they might be deal breakers for you. Return the phone and maybe wait for a while before getting any phone. Hook your 'Q' back up. And when you can't wait any longer, then get the phone with the features you desire, if the Pre doesn't look promising to you still. There is no penalty for returning it. So, later down the road, if you feel you want the Pre, pick it up. But what ever you do, MAKE SURE you're happy!!!!
The Palm Pre Hunter!!!!!
It's really what your preference is. I opted to return the phone after a week because it was lacking all the items you stated. I definitely dont want to be left with the phone after 30days and all of a sudden none of the updates dont hit till 6 months later. I to am waiting to see what the touch pro2has to offer.
Even though I enjoyed the Pre and WebOS, I didn't like the lack of customizing notifications for tasks and other things that I have come to depend on from my 755p. I bought myPre on the 6th and I am returning it today. I am hoping that in the next 3 months the Pre will make the software updates or allow more 3rd party apps to come on board. I am also interested in the Touch Pro 2 as well. I think in the next 3 or 4 months we are going to have lots of new choices of phonesincluding the Pre. But I just can't use the Pre as it is right now.I say return the Pre, keep checking on the updates that they make, and then make the decision to buy or not.
So, the OP doesn't know if they like the phone or not, and wants a mod on here to get the 30 day exchange period lengthened for them so they can keep the phone longer and decide if they really like it or not?
You will know before the 30 days is up if you like the phone or not. The WebOS updates will add some functionality that may be missing, but that is a chance you take by holding out past your return window, the updates may not come fast enough, or at all.