Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone have screen cracking issues?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Anyone have screen cracking issues?

I was planning to get the Pre on July 1 when I am eligible for an upgrade with Sprint. The recent postings on some of the forums about screen cracking issues frankly have me concerned. Apparently there are also problems with getting replacements without having to go through the insurance program and paying the $100 deductible. Anyone having screen issues?

On the Palm forum: http://forums.palm.com/palm/board/message?message.uid=206830#U206830

On PreCentral forum: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/187117-my-cracked-screen.html

Message Edited by bmack2000 on 06-20-2009 05:18 PM

24 REPLIES 24
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Anyone have screen cracking issues?

This is probably a manufacturing flaw that may be limited to certain batches of phones. My phone has had intimate encounters with both concrete and marble from 3+ feet (thanks to the crappy defective Sprint holster, before I returned it), and other than a minute bit of scuffing on the edges where it hit, is in perfect shape. If anything, I think THAT sort of damage would've caused my screen to crack if this were a design flaw that affected all Pres.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The screen on my Pre cracked yesterday. The phone was not dropped or abused in any way. The cracks are identical to the pictures I've seen on precentral.net. This is definitely a defect. I went to theSprint Store where I got the phone and was told they had no knowledge of this problem. I called tech support and was told the same thing.This problem is being covered up and I'm pissed! They told me I could get it replaced through insurance and would wave the $100.00 charge. When I was transferred to the Insurance folks I was told I had to download an affidavit, fill it out and fax it back then someone would contact me in several days and maybe send me a replacement phone. If this is how Palm and Sprint are going to stand behind their products I think everyone needs to be very wary of giving them your business. It really is the Twilight Zone.

Highlighted
Wizard

I'm starting to see enough pictures of nearly identical sets of cracks in the LCD glass, NOT in the plastic case, apparently starting right near the top of the center button and radiating upward in a fan shape to believe this may be a design or assembly defect. Smiley Sad

What bothers me more that that, though, is Sprint store personnel insisting it is "physical damage" and requiring a $100 Asurion replacement payment. Apparently any crack is automatically "physical damage" at the hands of the user to those Sprint folks.

Seriously, if it were random physical damage, wouldn't you expect to see some difference in the pattern of cracks?

Watching this possible problem carefully

Highlighted
Journeyman

I posted the pictures of my cracked screen on this forumhttp://forums.precentral.net/showthread.php?p=1698638&posted=1#post1698638I can't figure out how to post them here.

Highlighted
Master

There isn't anything in the known issues for cracking issues so as far as physical damage goes, yes it would be considered that by most locations since it is a deformation of the device from what it should look like. Just because it is in the same area and is the same basic shape doesn't mean it can't be caused by physical damage. Could be that just the right bump at that right point will cause a design flaw to crack the plastic due to the curvature, or just about anything really. At this point it isn't a known issue with the device, and it is still speculation as to the cause.

All devices that are sent in with the same issue are examined to see if there is consistency in the issue and whether it is a flaw or user error.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@halcyoncmdr wrote:
There isn't anything in the known issues for cracking issues so as far as physical damage goes, yes it would be considered that by most locations since it is a deformation of the device from what it should look like. Just because it is in the same area and is the same basic shape doesn't mean it can't be caused by physical damage. Could be that just the right bump at that right point will cause a design flaw to crack the plastic due to the curvature, or just about anything really. At this point it isn't a known issue with the device, and it is still speculation as to the cause.

All devices that are sent in with the same issue are examined to see if there is consistency in the issue and whether it is a flaw or user error.

There are enough of these instances that should cause Sprint and Palm to take the matter seriously and investigate. It may be that they are all part of a bad batch that got through QC. Sprint's first impression when someone brings them a phone that has this problem shouldn't be to suspect the user abused it.

Highlighted
Wizard

@sweet greggo wrote:

@halcyoncmdr wrote:

There are enough of these instances that should cause Sprint and Palm to take the matter seriously and investigate. It may be that they are all part of a bad batch that got through QC. Sprint's first impression when someone brings them a phone that has this problem shouldn't be to suspect the user abused it.

First response to the customer by store personnel also should no be to call them a liar, which is also being reported. That needs to be nipped in the bud, Sprint...

I especially took note the report of the new Pre just being activated in a store that had the screen suddenly crack while in the employee's hand...

Just as an old, outmoded engineer, my guess is that the LCD assembly (very thin glass) starts right above the center button, and that even just a little bit too much pressure at that point is causing the cracks to start. That is also the most logical place for one to exert pressure, either clicking the button or opening the slide...

I suspect that an additional support needs to be in there so the force gets transferred somewhere other than the fragile edge of the LCD.

Keep in mind this is all just speculation on my part from looking at the damage and comparing the damage seen on multiple devices to the tear-down pictures of the Palm Pre at iFixIt.

It doesn't take much flex at the edge of the very, very thin glass of an LCD to start a crack.

Hopefully this is either a fluke (I don't think so) or it gets taken care of very quickly.
Message Edited by Tomas on 06-21-2009 11:26 AM

Highlighted
Journeyman

So who is the official greeter for the cracked screen party? I am now officially a member.

I won't link directly to the images since they are big, but these are pics of my screen tonight after coming home from the movies with my wife.

http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a12/montanaxvi/?action=view&current=000_0062.jpg

http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a12/montanaxvi/?action=view&current=000_0065.jpg

http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a12/montanaxvi/?action=view&current=000_0066.jpg

I was chosen, along with a handful of others, by Sprint to get a Pre free of charge as well as 3 months of service on them to see how the phone handled, as well as report, review and assist anyone else with my thoughts of the phone and opinions on the device, then after the 3 months was up I was allowed to keep the phone and activate it as my own. As long as I was honest in my thoughts on the phone, I wasn't paid for any thoughts or opinions on the device just asked to be open and honest about what I thought and let others know. So I don't know if I have any replacement or repair options but this incident is really a deal breaker for me. I had planned on letting my wife have this phone and buying one for myself, replacing both of our Blackberries with a Pre, but now I see all these other people having problems and I really am thinking twice about it now.

I had the phone in the cloth sleeve that comes with the phone in my front pocket while watching a movie, when I turned the phone back on after the movie I noticed that the battery was low so I put it back in the sleeve and went home to plug it in, once I got home I noticed I wasn't able to unlock the slide lock and then I noticed the cracks on the screen, even worse when the screen turned off. I was wearing baggy cargo shorts with my Curve in my other front pocket and my keys in one of the pockets on the leg of the shorts, so there was nothing in either of the two pockets that had a phone in it.

Highlighted
Wizard

I'm really sad to hear that one of our small band of Palm Pre reviewers had their Pre's screen crack.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am not happy about it at all, I take very well care of all my electronic devices just for the simple fact that a replacement or repair isn't going to be cheap.

I don't look at having insurance on a device as a reason to bash it around or not care for it, it is just there in case an emergency happens.

I just joined over at precentral and posted in the cracked screen thread and hoping that a call to Sarah tomorrow morning can give some sort of remedy or at the very least a little explanation on what happened and if there are any reported issues that Palm is looking into concerning this issue.

Having been a member of this community for the better part of 6 months, as well as being a VERY vocal member of the Pro 4.5 camp for the Blackberry I am all to aware that often times the silent majority will never mention of any problems, or their delight with a product, they will just continue on about their business doing what they do. While there may be a very loud cry about this being an issue I hope Sprint and Palm take it serious and look into a solution.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Montana - I don't see your post(s) on the cracked screen thread at precentral - did I miss them? Did you post your pictures? If not, could you please? Thanks!

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat