cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery Life!! I'm Worried

Highlighted
Journeyman

Battery Life!! I'm Worried

People! This has been a rollercoaster of a weekend, with the Pre. The happiness has come and kind of gone. I have been playing with the device since Saturday, and I have was fine at first, and thenI noticed that the battery would be fully charged before a 2 hour nap only for me to wake up and find that I am now down to a 20% charge! Wifi was on but no programs were running in the background. Email set to get every 15 minutes. And the darn thang gets so hot in hand!! With just moderate use. I'm not used to this. I'm coming from the Instinct. Way better batter life as far as I can tell, and the extra batteries didn't hurt. I don't know, if this Pre is really worth it, if I'm stuck by a charger all day!!

25 REPLIES 25
Highlighted
Journeyman

I got the phone on the Friday pre-launch and used it a lot over the next two days. The batter life isn't great but it's what I expected. I found it will last about a 1.5 days on a charge with both Bluetooth and WiFi on the whole time. The only time I noticed it being warm was when it was charging. I bought the touch tone charger so that might be part of the reason it got warm. So I haven't experienced any of the issues you've seeing or certainly not a bad. Good luck.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@melvnx wrote:
People! This has been a rollercoaster of a weekend, with the Pre. The happiness has come and kind of gone. I have been playing with the device since Saturday, and I have was fine at first, and thenI noticed that the battery would be fully charged before a 2 hour nap only for me to wake up and find that I am now down to a 20% charge! Wifi was on but no programs were running in the background. Email set to get every 15 minutes. And the darn thang gets so hot in hand!! With just moderate use. I'm not used to this. I'm coming from the Instinct. Way better batter life as far as I can tell, and the extra batteries didn't hurt. I don't know, if this Pre is really worth it, if I'm stuck by a charger all day!!

Did it get hot during usage, or during charging (or using while charging)? My Pre gets rather hot (but not uncomfortably so) if I use it while charging, but it only gets moderately warm when charging and idle... and little noticeable temperature increase during usage.

The Touchstone will make things warmer, as induction is inherently less efficient than a direct wired connection, but it shouldn't get too hot.

If it's getting really hot just during usage, or if it gets burning hot (like sizzling fajita platter hot) at all, you may want to consider taking it to the Sprint store for replacement or at least examination.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I totally agree with melvnx!!!!! The battery on my Palm Pre is awfully. I got it on Saturday and by the time I left the store the dang thing was alerting me of low batter power. So I thought maybe the phone wasn't fully charged.

So i got home let it charge up all night. I took it off the charger 10 a.m that morning. I surfed on it about 10 minutes and then around 12:00 the battery was almost gone. So I called Sprint tech line when I got home. The lady had me to up my time on checking for new messages. It was on one minute. So I chose check every 30 minutes. She had me to turn the wifi off and check the backlit display (it was on one minute). However when ever i was done I always manually cut the screen on with the power button. Okay...so I put it back on the charger again. I went to a meeting. It was a very cool room with air conditioning. I pulled my phone out of my purse to check for missed calls and the thing was totally hot!!!!! I checked the screen and it was off. I couldn't understand why it was hot and no one was using it.

So I got home put it back on the charger again. I checked on it while it was charging and it took like way over 2 hrs for it to fully charge the battery to 100%. So I took it off the charger and talked on it for about an hour and a half and the battery was down to about 20%. I had to charge it up again. I woke up this morning with it on full charge. I took it off the charger around 7:30 a.m. this morning. I talked on it about 20 minutes. The low battery alert came up on my phone around 8:45 a.m. I was fed upby that time. So I called the Sprint store. The rep said the battery life is short because the phone keeps checking for email all the time. She said her palm centro was short on life too becaue she gets so many emails. I told her mine was set to every thirty minutes. She said two of her employees in the store had been complaining of their phones lasting for only 2 hours!!!! She told me I should bring the phone into the store because the battery should not be getting that hot. However I changed my phone to check for email manually. The battery died about 10 minutes later. The death time was 9:30 a.m. The phone stays more down than up!!!!!!!! I absolutely love the phone but the battery is far beyond just annoying!!!!!

The tech support rep from sprint told me the talk time was 5 hours!!!!! That is a lie for my palm pre. I have to carry the charger around with me like a oxygen patient taking a tank!!!! help!!!!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

You don't happen to have AIM signed in on your Pre, do you? There's a bug in the current version that totally decimates your battery. If you do have AIM signed in, sign it out or delete it or something, and see if your battery life improves. Even so, it sounds like you may have a defective battery... I'm beginning to wonder if there wasn't a problem in the manufacturing process on the batteries, there seem to be quite a few people here who are getting abnormally short battery life I'm not one of them, so I know it's not a problem with the phone itself (I had Pandora streaming 8 hours last night, and my Touchstone wasn't plugged in so the phone wasn't charging... the phone was still streaming music when I woke up this morning).

Highlighted
Journeyman

what never will my let it do that....My phone won't stay on long for nothing. I have to have the life support (charger that came with the phone) plugged up to it for anything. No AIM on.....didn't even sign up an account on my phone....Guess what just found an article released about the battery...I knew something was strange about the phone...here's the link!!!!!

http://www.i4u.com/article25241.html

Highlighted
Journeyman

Here's a direct thread regarding the battery problem with many replies....

http://forums.palm.com/palm/board/message?board.id=weboshardware&thread.id=94

Highlighted
Journeyman

I did not see this mentioned, so I assume no one has done it. There is an update to the os that helps battery life alot. Its 67 meg and takes a while to do but worth it

Highlighted
Journeyman

Where do you get the download from?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm currently downloading the WEBOS 1.0.2 which is 67mb.....hopefully this will help....The phone said it was going to try and automatically update once it got to a high network.......I hope this fixes the battery draining problem. I reached the update by going to my updates application under the third launcher screen. Cross your fingers......

Highlighted
Journeyman

The update didn't work for me. My battery is not showing 56%....I just took it off the charger at 5:00 p.m. I have not used the phone to make a call. I give up of finding a solution. The clock app is added to the launcher....I didn't check for the other details.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@Taunique wrote:
Where do you get the download from?

There is an Update icon in the Launcher with details. It'll be pushed to your phone a little at a time while the phone is idle, and when fully pushed, it'll prompt you to update. OR you can opt to download it "immediately" (it took quite a while for me) and install it right away. I think it was about 30 mins all together for me, and I thought the phone had locked up, but it was just slow to install.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat