cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery Life!! I'm Worried

Highlighted
Journeyman

Battery Life!! I'm Worried

People! This has been a rollercoaster of a weekend, with the Pre. The happiness has come and kind of gone. I have been playing with the device since Saturday, and I have was fine at first, and thenI noticed that the battery would be fully charged before a 2 hour nap only for me to wake up and find that I am now down to a 20% charge! Wifi was on but no programs were running in the background. Email set to get every 15 minutes. And the darn thang gets so hot in hand!! With just moderate use. I'm not used to this. I'm coming from the Instinct. Way better batter life as far as I can tell, and the extra batteries didn't hurt. I don't know, if this Pre is really worth it, if I'm stuck by a charger all day!!

25 REPLIES 25
Highlighted
Journeyman

@shannonschumann wrote:

@Taunique wrote:
Where do you get the download from?

There is an Update icon in the Launcher with details. It'll be pushed to your phone a little at a time while the phone is idle, and when fully pushed, it'll prompt you to update. OR you can opt to download it "immediately" (it took quite a while for me) and install it right away. I think it was about 30 mins all together for me, and I thought the phone had locked up, but it was just slow to install.

I found it and I downloaded but it didn't work. My battery is losing a percent of the power every minute. Thanks tho

Highlighted
Journeyman

Here is the solution to the battery problem. DELETE HOTMAIL ACCOUNT OFF YOUR PHONE. THE PALM CONTINUALLY CHECKS FOR EMAIL EVEN IF YOU SET IT TO MANUALLY CHECK!!! When I took my hotmail off, my phone became cool and stayed on 97% for 30 minutes!!!!!!

here's a link to the genius that figured it out.......

http://forums.palm.com/palm/board/message?board.id=weboshardware&thread.id=351

Highlighted

And what if you don't have any hotmail account programmed...or any email account for that matter? So much for that being a solution.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm also worried. Very worried. I've been sitting here at work all day and playing with the Pre only minimally. Wifi is off, bluetooth is off, gmail is the only email account configured because exchange won't work with self-signed certs. Gmail is the only account configured and it's set to check messages every 15 minutes. Phone charged all night and now i'm down to 30 percent. Terrible power consumption, just awful. Let's get these bugs fixed people so we can enjoy our phones. the beta test is supposed to occur BEFORE release. I swear, companies these days are doing things backasswards.

Sure wish i could get my work email on my pre.

Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

So, 8 hours of light use, and you're down to 30% battery?  That's consistent with what I've seen.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Highlighted
Journeyman

My husband and I each bought a Pre on Saturday and we are both also having serious battery life issues. I unplugged mine from the charger this morning at 7:30 and brought it to work with me. Came home early at 2:00 and it was already down to 24%. I had hardly used it all day pulled up a couple of websites, sent a couple of SMS messages, didn't even talk on it. Email is set to check every 15 minutes but I don't get all that many at a time. Never had AIM, so that's not the issue. Mostly it just sat on my desk all day, draining.

Yesterday my husband took his off a full charge at 3:00 and it completely died by 7:00.

Maybe we got ours from a bad batch?

Will, when you say that is consistent with what you've seen, do you mean it's a known problem? Or that 8 hours is typical?

Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

No, 8 hours to 40%, which is where I put it back on the charger.  Should be able to get 16 or more hours to all out dead, unless you're using it really heavily.

Did you have WiFi on?

How's the signal level in your house (how many bars, EVDO or 1X?)

Hotmail account?

How many mail accounts checking mail?

Others have also reported that it just takes a couple of charge / discharge cycles to get everything calibrated right.  It may improve in a couple of days.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for the reply, Will.

WiFi was unavailable at work, so it was turned off on the phone. Haven't paired it yet with my Jawbone, so Bluetooth is always off too.

Signal level - full bars, EVDO.

No Hotmail.

One email account just Gmail. (My husband's also gets his Outlook email from work.)

It would be nice to think it might calibrate itself and get better. As I sit here with the phone in front of me (very little activity), it is going down 1% every 2 minutes or so. This has been really frustrating for both of us! We really want to love this pretty Pre!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hey, I seem to have accidentally helped mine out a LOT last night. It's been draining like a lot of people have talked about. So I left it playing music in my car until it died yesterday. When I got home and plugged it in it showed a large battery with a small red line at the bottom. I meant to get it shortly but forgot for over an hour. When I went it wouldn't start up so I yanked the battery and then it started fine. Today it lasted WAY better. Still needed to be charged by 7pm but that's way better than 3pm!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thank you, I hope this works. I just got a pre on Thrus night and noticed the same problem. It just about died a few hours after I bought it so I had to charge it that night. I went to work fully charged and had to run home by the end of the day because it was dying. I didn't have anything open, just text. I will turn on the wi-fi and see if that works. I sometimes wish my instinct screen did not mess up after having it a year.

Highlighted
Journeyman

OS updates from Palm have helped to improve battery life.

Others are also using third party batteries which are bigger, but I am holding out hope that continual OS updates and people learning about all the little tweaks will make batter life sufficient for most users on a daily basis.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've found if you have access to WiFi, turn on WiFi access for the Pre and it drains even less. Seems counterintuitive but it seems if it has something constant to connect with, the Pre doesn't drain as quickly. Otherwise, I think the Pre is constantly trying to get grab signals from the satellites and towers, thus draining quicker.

I heard something to that effect at precentral.net. Hope this helps some

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat