cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery Life Tips

Highlighted
Journeyman

Battery Life Tips

I was trying to post and wham - gone.  Post where you wish, I couldn't seem to get to a battery issue page.

Anyway, for those having trouble with battery life try these tips, as well:

Some may not be popular at first, but until something is done it will help.

1.  Turn OFF auto-locate feature - it will just ask you for permisssion if use a program that needs it.  Not too inconvenient.

2.  Turn OFF email auto update except for heavily used mail clients.

3.  Turn ON WiFi and bounce from antenna to antenna absorbing all of the goodness of the internet without 3G for those of you that have it.  The antenna inside this little gem is amazing.

4.  ALLOW BATTERY TO FULLY DRAIN, before your next and every recurring recharge you can stand.

5.  For you new users:  FULLY charge your battery BEFORE using the device for more than a few minutes at the Sprint store or just to set up.  This is hard to do, but an essential thing in preserving your battery life.

ALL batteries have memory - do not let anyone tell you otherwise.

(edited title, moved to Tips and Tricks - w.england)

Message Edited by wengla02 on 06-10-2009 02:46 PM

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Battery Life Tips

I always read that it was bad to completely drain the battery.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@fwbkotowske wrote:

4. ALLOW BATTERY TO FULLY DRAIN, before your next and every recurring recharge you can stand.

ABSOPOSITIVELUTELY FALSE. Wikipedia explains it fairly thoroughly and accurately (for a change). I've been working with electronics for about 15 years or so, and I've gained much of my knowledge from my grandfather who was an electronics technician and mechanic at McClellan AFB for some 40-odd years. While NiCd batteries definitely have memory, and NiMH batteries can sometimes benefit from deep-cycling, doing it to Li-Ion batteries is COMPLETELY DETRIMENTAL TO THEIR LIFETIME.

@fwbkotowske wrote:
5. For younew users: FULLY charge your battery BEFORE using the device for more than a few minutes at the Sprint store or just to set up. This is hard to do, but an essential thing in preserving your battery life.

The battery in the Palm Pre is not a NiCd or NiMH battery, so this is utterly and completely unnecessary.

@fwbkotowske wrote:

ALL batteries have memory - do not let anyone tell you otherwise.

Yes, every battery has a memory to some degree. However, the memory effect in Lithium Ion batteries is so minimal, compared to the damage caused by deep-cycling them, that it makes utterly no sense to do it. Do a deep-cycle once every month or two to help calibrate the charger maybe, and eliminate any memory effect that may have built up, but doing it more frequently will actually shorten the battery's effective life.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have a close friend who was a Compaq VP and is still quite active in computing and technology. I based my notation concerning Lithium Ion batteries on his recommendation, as well as the recommendation of Toshiba (after having battery problems), and HTC after having issues with my Mogul battery. I follow this recommeded procedure with my laptop after purchasing a very expensive battery after only 2 years.

Lithium Ion batteries are the most misunderstood batteries on the market. Rather than argue which method is best, simply read a few articles and make your own determination. As for me, I will not constantly charge and will hopefully enjoy a long battery life and lengthy charges.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Doktor Jones wrote:

ABSOPOSITIVELUTELY FALSE. Wikipedia explains it fairly thoroughly and accurately (for a change). I've been working with electronics for about 15 years or so, and I've gained much of my knowledge from my grandfather who was an electronics technician and mechanic at McClellan AFB for some 40-odd years. While NiCd batteries definitely have memory, and NiMH batteries can sometimes benefit from deep-cycling, doing it to Li-Ion batteries is COMPLETELY DETRIMENTAL TO THEIR LIFETIME.

There is one problem there. Wikipedia is unable to be cited in any work because it is submitted by anyone who feels like it. If you were to put that into a report at a job or a college paper you would either be cited for plagerism or completely ignored.

Back onto topic though, this is a mixed subject one expert will tell you one thing while another will tell you soething different. But actually from my own experience i still do agree with Doktor Jones. But do whatever you believe is right, and if you research for a while you may find an answer that convinces you.

Highlighted
Journeyman

OK, I'm not saying what is right or wrong, just what Palm says:

Page 39 of the Sprint Palm PreUser's Guide:

Charge your phone whenever you can. Charge it overnight. The battery has a much

longer useful life when it is topped off frequently than when it is charged after it is fully

drained.

Highlighted
Journeyman

As soon as I did the following, I've been getting really good battery life:

1. If using Navigation, be sure to end the navigation session instead of just closing the card. The program appears to run in the background somehow, and it really drains the battery even though it appears it is not running.

2. Set EACH email account to 5 min or more retrieval.

3. Don't use AIM or any other Messenger (bug has not been fixed yet)

I know this sounds weird, but each day since Saturday, my battery life has been a little better, and i've been using the phone MORE.

Highlighted
Journeyman

<blockquote><hr>Runningwarrior08 wrote:<br><br><p>There is one problem there. Wikipedia is unable to be cited in any work because it is submitted by anyone who feels like it. If you were to put that into a report at a job or a college paper you would either be cited for plagerism or completely ignored.<br></p><hr></blockquote><p></p><p>I wasn't citing Wikipedia as a source, I was simply pointing to it so I wouldn't have to type a lengthy dissertation about Li-Ion batteries. Note that I said "<a target="_blank" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_Ion#Guidelines_for_prolonging_Li-ion_battery_life">Wikipedia</a> explains it fairly thoroughly and accurately (for a change)" - In this case I am using my knowledge to back up Wikipedia's info, rather than the other way around, which is what people usally do ;)<br></p>

Highlighted
Wizard

Lithium based batteries are very strange critters, and do not especially appreciate over or undercharge conditions, and can be damaged by either.

Recharging them whenever possible, rather than waiting for them to drop to a low charge level is the best for them.

The number of charge cycles quoted as the expected life of a lithium battery is referenced to full charge cycles. In other words if the spec says 500 cycles, it should do 500 full cycles. Charging from only half discharged is only a half cycle, in other words, it should last 1000 half charges, etc.

A charge to as little as 3% over the full charge voltage can destroy a lithium battery, as can discharge below 58% of full charge voltage. The charge protection circuitry is usually designed to prevent overcharge, and to open the circuit if the battery voltage on discharge approaches 60% of the full charge voltage. If a lithium cell is over-discharged, it will lose the ability to accept a charge.

Here is a good lay explanation of some of the behavior of lithium cells: http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-12.htm

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for the information.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Phillykef wrote:

As soon as I did the following, I've been getting really good battery life:

1. If using Navigation, be sure to end the navigation session instead of just closing the card. The program appears to run in the background somehow, and it really drains the battery even though it appears it is not running.

2. Set EACH email account to 5 min or more retrieval.

3. Don't use AIM or any other Messenger (bug has not been fixed yet)

I know this sounds weird, but each day since Saturday, my battery life has been a little better, and i've been using the phone MORE.

Philly, what do you mean by end the navigation session instead of just closing the card.  Does that mean just go back to the Navigation "home" page where I have the Drive To, Search, Matp & Traffic, etc., options? or do I have to do something else to "end" the session?

Wizard

Tap the screen and a menu pops up. Tap stop this trip.

dd

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat