ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best browsing experience on the Centro

Journeyman

Best browsing experience on the Centro

My wife and I are the stereotypical Sprint SERO customers. We're first-time smart phone owners. She picked the Pink Palm Centro and I opted for the Moto Q9c. Her phone arrived yesterday and mine should arrive today. She's started playing around with it, but hasn't been a fan of the browser (Blazer, I'm pretty sure) so far. Is there a better browser out there for the Centro? I was considering installing OperaMini, but it looks like Palm no longer has the necessary java plug-ins to make it work. (http://www.palm.com/us/support/jvm/index.html) I don't really want to pay $24 for Opera Mobile and Skyfire doesn't seem too viable an option at this point.Is there a place where I can get the plug-ins to run Opera Mini on the Centro?What browsers do you Centro users use and what are your reviews? Ultimately, I just want to know how my wife can have the best web experience on her Centro. How can we make that happen?

3 REPLIES 3
Journeyman

Re: Best browsing experience on the Centro

You can still get the latest Java for Palm OS here: http://tinyurl.com/58jvcl

I don't how well Opera Mini works with the Centro. Never tried it.

Journeyman

the browsing experience is much more 'safari' and 'firefox' like. you can scroll the page with a flick of your finger, and it's very smart at figuring out how to align the pages for the screen. however, the version i have (not the 4.1 or whatever is current - that came out after the JVM was dropped - so i have no idea if the new version is palm-safe) is very buggy and unstable. it crashes my phone probably 25% of the time. it's neat for those time when blazer offers a less then stellar view of page, though.

Journeyman

If you are first time smartphone owners, stick with Blazer. It is stable. Opera Mini and JVM need lots of tweaking to get to work and from what I have read, it is a high maintenance thing to keep it from crashing your phone (like manually clearing cache on a periodic basis...). However, if you feel intrepid, there are many Treo/Centro forums that suggest all sorts of ways to get the best, most stable experience from Opera.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat