cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand new Palm Pre switching between EVDO and 1X from same location.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Brand new Palm Pre switching between EVDO and 1X from same location.

I recently bought Pre and it seems everything is fine on phone except most critical thing, the Wireless Radio. My Pre switches between EVDO and 1X without any reason. My other phone is HTC Touch Pro2 and HTC Touch Pro and neither of those phones switch out of EVDO while I'm online. It seems PRe is doing this without any notification. To run a test I've done this test of visiting same website at same time from same location and my HTC Touch Pro and HTC Touch Pro 2 will hold EVDO without any issue but Pre will keep juggling between EVDO and 1X. Anyone else experienced this on their Pre ?
I took it to local Sprint store and the storyline after 1 hour of waiting was that phone is working as per design and all radio signals are fine. But because phone size is small it doesnot have as powerful radio as HTC Touch Pro 2, what a piece of BS. HTC Touch Pro is same size or even smaller in certain dimensions than Pre and still it has no issues with EVDO. Probably I'll wait for a week to see if anything changes before sending this one back.

TIA

M

Tags (3)
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Brand new Palm Pre switching between EVDO and 1X from same location.

Yes.  I have the same situation on all 3 of the Pre's on my account.  Forgive my lack of knowledge on this subject, but could you explain the difference between the two - EVDO and 1X?  Thank you.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Palm Pre is suppose to default on EVDO whenever you are in 3G network. It provides broadband equivalent data speed while surfing online. On your screen on right hand side top corner you will see EV sign that mean your phone is using EVDO network. But in may case my phone shows EV on top left corner than when I start surfing it switches to 1X from EV. This basically drops speed substantially and can take longer to do whatever task you are trying to do online because data transmits at low speed. I've updated my phone to 1.35 firmware version but it seems the phone hardware itself is having issue here. My other phones are Touch Pro and Touch Pro 2 and I dont have any issue on either of those phones. All my phone connects to EVDO and stays on EVDO without any problem.

Highlighted
Journeyman

after i switched my evdo mode to Hybrid - rev A it would switch back and forth with ev and 1x. it was after i reset my phone to the default settings when it started working fine. When it would switch to 1x it was sooo slooow! so i went on chat mode with sprint and they helped me reset my phone to its default factory settings. after i did that my phone has stayed on EV and its been working great. if u plan on doing this, make sure you back up your information on the back - up app on the pre. and if u want to save your pictures and music then go into USB mode and back up the information on there too.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have this same issue.  I guess it's even MORE frustrating that there hasn't been a response of any kind to this post from Sprint!  I just joined this discussion area and I'm so relieved to find that so many other people are having this same problems i've been having for months.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've had the same issues you described and in addition I've had the following symptom.  I look at my phone and it shows EV with 3 to 5 bars.  As soon as I start using data it changes to 1x like what happens to you but in addition to that the amount of bars reduce immediately down to 1 (or even sometimes no bars--no data period.)  I'm not sure if this is all the Pre or is it also something to do with Sprint Data Service.  But it is frustrating.  Sprint TV is unwatchable.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat