Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting via USB

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Connecting via USB

I've had some problems when I connect my Pre to the computer via USB.  As soon as I plug it in the Pre gives the charging icon but sometimes it never gets to the point where I get the option (USB Drive or Just Charge)...if I unplug it then plug it in again generally I do get that option.  I was just putting some music on my phone and in the middle of the transfer it lost the connection and my computer gave me the "directory no longer available."  Once again I had to unplug and plug my Pre back in to complete the transfer.

Another thing that frequently happens is that once I unplug the Pre I get the message "some data may have been lost but was restored always make sure to properly eject Pre before unplugging"  (this isn't the exact words but close).  I always eject the device before unplugging.

I'm not sure if all of this is a windows or webOS problem (or hardware on either end), but I never have problems with my regular USB Drives.

Another symptom (not sure if it is related).  When I have a USB Drive in the first port and then plug the Pre into the second my computer never recognizes the Pre.  Meaning anytime I want to move data from my USB Drive to my Pre I have to move it to the desk top, unplug the USB drive, then move it to the Pre.

Anybody aware of these issues or have any knowledge of this?

8 REPLIES 8
Journeyman

Re: Connecting via USB

It sounds to me like you have a broken cable.  Before spending hours troubleshooting a software problem that doesn't exist, I'd swap for a different cable to see if the problems persist.  FWIW, I haven't had any such problems, but I did have a broken wire on my headphones right out of the box.

Journeyman

I have to get another cable anyway I'll check to see if that is it.  But when I use the cable with the wall charger it works just fine so I doubt that is it...unless it is possible to have a open or short in the data line but not the power (assuming they use different lines?)?

Journeyman

I'm no USB expert, but I'm betting there are different wires/connections for the data vs. the 5v power source.  I just bought a second USB cable so I can have one at home and one at the office (and I can grab either for use in the car when I need it).

I'd like to find a non-proprietary source for these since Sprint charges $19.95 for it (and I paid about $16 as a 'Premier' member).  I haven't seen this connector type on anything else yet.

An-n-nd ... after a brief inquiry, it turns out I'm right (from http://computer.howstuffworks.com/usb4.htm😞

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/usb.gif

"Inside a USB cable: There are two wires for  power -- +5 volts (red) and ground (brown) -- and a twisted pair (yellow  and blue) of wires to carry the data. The cable is also shielded."

And in yet another edit, they're available on Amazon for under $3.  Dammit.

Message was edited by: DamnLawyer

Message was edited by: DamnLawyer

Journeyman

Yep, makes sense...thanx alot for the help.  I'll definitely pick up a new cable soon.

And as far as the pricing I also learned about that the hard way.  Never buy plugs, chargers, cables, memory, cases or any other accessories (for computers, phones or just about any other electronics) at a major store/retailer--you will almost certainly get ripped off.  If you search for that kind of stuff on the Internet you will almost always pay 75% – 90% less than the price at a retailer.  Retailers don't have a problem with a 1000 – 2000% mark up on accessories.  I guess they figure that after selling an item for several hundred dollars...selling an accessory for $20 that should cost $1.95 is trivial enough that they can get away with it.

Journeyman

@DamnLawyer > You mentioned a non-proprietary source for cables.... For years, I've used www.factorydirectcellular.com and/or www.cellphoneshop.net.  Both of these sites have some pretty cheap (inexpensive and not always top quality) gear...screen protectors, cables, cases, batteries, etc...

It may or may not be worth a look to you.  Most often, if you order more than $25 (if i remember right), there's no charge for shipping.

Journeyman

DamnLawyer...I got the new cable and you were right...it works just fine.  I think that its kinda crappy for Palm/Sprint to sell me an expensive phone and give me a faulty cable with it.  I believe it came faulty out of the box because I was have those intermittent symptoms the first time I connected to my computer--they just started becoming more frequent with time.  You said your headphones were defective out of the box...sounds like there is a definite quality control issue happening here.

Journeyman

Take your original one to the store and tell them you want a replacement.  The only reason they could deny it would be if you abused it - and how can you really abuse a USB cable without trying?  You can always use a spare.  Trust me. 

FWIW, my headphones didn't work out of the box.  I got them replaced.

Journeyman

Unfortunately its been about 2 1/2 months since I got the phone I don't think they're gonna replace the cable because I should have done it earlier...I just wasn't aware that it was the cable that was giving me the problem.  Since it was intermitant I let it go too long.  But the next time I'm in the store (I bought it at an authorized dealer not a Sprint Store) I'll give it a try.  Thanx again

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat