cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cracked Palm Pre Screen

Highlighted
Journeyman

Cracked Palm Pre Screen

I have posted this comment to all the pre oriented websites and also to tech columnist all over to either seek for help and help others with the same problem and have fell thru Sprint's Customer service vortex...

Hello,

This is to share what happened to my Pre. I was driving to work one morning I have answered a call from my wife and I pressed the center button to go into my notes using the gesture area and I saw a crack forming from the center button all the way to the right side of the screen. I proceeded to put it back in its pouch and finish my drive to work. I showed the crack to a co worker and I saw something that  blew my mind...I HAVE 3 CRACKS!!! Originating from the center button.

I went to the Sprint store in Menaul St. in Albuquerque, NM to get it replaced..It was under the 30 day store warranty...so, if something happened with the device I should be able to return it...the sprint store lady (Just to be polite I will not use any 4 letter words here because she was totally rude and condescending) stated to insinuate that this was done because I misused the phone...Im a nerd and I take care of my electronics better than I do care about my wife...LOL! And I told her what happened and she just refer me to the other store on the other side of town to see a tech.

So, I went to that store and ask for the techs. The only option they gave me was to pay $100.00 deductible because this was "physical Damage". I told them that if this was physical damage why the hairline fracture came from the inside of the screen rather than from the outside in beside the crack the surface of the screen was pristine...I even showed pictures and postings from different websites and because it was not documented thru the corporate channels they will not proceed with a free exchange. A very helpful sprint employee gave me the 888 number to call the costumer service line and after 30 mins in the line she asked a tech and the tech agree that the store should have exchanged the device because it was indeed under the 30 day of purchase.

So, once again I went back to the original store where I bought the device and after talking with another employee and the store manager they did not agree with the exchange and told me that the damage was done because I mistreated the device and I put too much pressure on the device..Pretty much calling me a liar and that I was doing this to avoid to pay $100.00 deductible. I was to the boiling point and I told him that if I was the one that broke the device..I'I pay the dang $100.00 I'm not poor or hurting for money..I'm not compromising my integrity for money...I also told him that I'm in the service and I was in a tour in Afghanistan...I have an Ipod touch that I have on me almost all the time and it never cracked...NEVER! and then I have their flagship product...push the center button and BOOM it cracked...they even told me to cancel my account if I did not like my options...that really pissed me off because I don't want to leave Sprint and I really love the device...I hate AT&T and the iPhone is not really my cup of tea...

So, once again I called the 888 number again and after another hour and 2 transfers I got a hold of someone. The lady called all the Sprint stores in Albuquerque, NM and NONE will exchange the device. The phone center could not exchange it because only the stores have the device and only the store managers have the power to exchange the device. The lady even told me that this whole issue is BS because they just needed to exchange the device give the broken one to Palm and they will take care of it. The manager did not want to do the legwork needed to perform this exchange.

So, The lady connected me to Palm technical support and a great customer support person hear my story and the first thing that come from his mouth is THAT THIS WAS ACTUALLY AN AKNOWLEDGED PROBLEM WITH THE DEVICE!!! and that it was BS that Sprint did not just exchange the device in good faith and in line with the 30 day own Sprint satisfaction guarantee program. The 1 year warranty will cover my device and the only thing I have to do is send the device (I pay the shipping) to Palm and in 7 days they will send me the device either repaired or exchanged.

I have not ship the device yet in an attempt to make the local Sprint store to do the right thing and exchange the device in the store, rather than wait for 7 days to have it repaired.

Sorry for the length of this post but I needed to share this whole experience with everyone willing to read it...I hope that my odyssey will help someone else down the road and maybe instead of wasting time with Sprint like I did, just go directly to the Palm customer Service and get it done...it might take 7 working day to get your device back...but it beats paying $100.00 for something that was not the users fault.(Only if Sprint does not comes thru...)

Roberto Felix

SSG, NMNG

35 REPLIES 35
Journeyman

Re: Cracked Palm Pre Screen

I cannot believe that these Sprint stores would not accept your obviously defective PRE. I have been following discussions on the PRE since it came out waiting to see if it is the phone for me. It is a well known issue that the screens have been cracking from the center button outward. For a Sprint corporate store to not take back the phone within the 30 day purchase period is absolutely ridiculous. I hope that you get your situation resolved without having to go to Palm. Please keep us posted. If I do decide to buy the PRE, I highly doubt it will be from a corporate store. Looks like Best Buy will get my business.

Master

When I last checked a few days ago, cracks emerging from the Card View button were not an acknowledged known issue with the device. So the store is in a position essentially to either say it is a defective device or not, normally a cracked screen is considered physical damage period, however the Pre is a special case in many ways, so at this point it essentially is up to the store whether to exchange it or not.  Normally however a cracked screen is considered physical damage no matter what, so that is probably what they are going off of since that is normal policy. Just because the crack isn't on the outside of the screen doesn't mean it isn't caused by misuse, I have seen a Blackberry with an internally cracked screen due to dropping it, and there was no obvious damage other than that on the outside.

Journeyman

Yep. I should just waited to get one in Best Buy. At least they have a no BS approach to their customers with their cellphones. I have read countless stories of how their phones were replaced right away by Best Buy...they will no cover theft of lost phones...you will need to have the TEP from srint to cover that.

Journeyman

But for many people having the same exact problem (My cracks are almost identical to those all over the net) and having a very rude customer support personnel and management that the only thing they can tell me is to either take it or leave it...is not acceptable. I have the level 3 customer support person at Palm telling me that this kind of problem is well acknowledged and documented by Palm and to offer a free repair (or replacement) and is wondering why the Sprint store just do an RMA on the device thru corporate channels...come on!!

You are right that they have the right to say yeah or nay on the exchange but to be called a liar in front of other customers and just give me the runaround...well, it kinda sucks. Other stores have indeed aknowled the problem and they exchenge the phone and thats because one or more of their employees have seen this problem before and do the right thing.

Journeyman

I am in a similar situation to you, but not quite.

Let me explain.

I was chosen along with 4 other members of this very forum to receive a Palm Pre and 3 months of service in order to post what I thought of the device here and other places, along with my thoughts, impressions, complaints etc.  At the end of the 3 month period I was free to keep the Pre and activate it as my own, they just asked that I be honest and upfront in how I cam about the device as well as what I wrote about it.

About 2-3 weeks into the deal my wife and I went to a movie, I had my BB Cruve in one front pocket and my Pre in the other.  I am a pretty big guy, but I was wearing a baggy pair of cargo shorts that weren't the slighest bit tight.  After the movie was over I had recalled the Pre was low on juice (I know, I know) so I took them out of my pocket and turned it on and came home.

I plugged it in to charge and noticed I wasn't able to unlock the screen, and when it went dark I noticed the cracks.  I started looking around online and without even seeing pictures of it I knew this is exactly what had happened to mine.

I contacted the person who set me up on this deal and was told that since they were in such very short supply that there very well may be a good chance I might not get another Pre.  I was a little upset since I really like the phone and would replace my Curve with one in a minute.  But I thought, hey I am not out anything so I'll just be cool and wait to see what happens.  Almost a month later I still haven't gotten anything so I sent a simple e-mail asking if I could get one or not, nothing snotty or pissy, I was just curious.  I got reply back that I should take the device to a "full service" store and once there explain everything, the program I am in, along with the e-mail from the person who set it up, as well as any information I could print up (do a google search on "Pre cracked screen") I had plenty of ammo.

I walked into the store and as soon as I explained what was going on and showed the CSR the phone, he immediately says "that isn't a known issue" it isn't a defect, that is user damage you will have to pay $120 to get us to fix it.  I explained to him that I wasn't concerned with how he wrote it up or charged it, but this was a free phone, with a free plan that isn't even in my name, I wasn't going to pay for anything.  I continued to show him all the information I had printed up as instructed by the person in corporate who pointed me in this direction.  Now mind you, I was told up front that this may not work, but when they said they could fix it but at a cost I thought I was soon on my way back to "Prelandia" (to borrow a term from Tomas).  I spoke with the CSR for a while and he kept asking me for $120 to which I kept saying wasn't coming out of my pocket.  He went and called my Sprint person spoke with her for a while then left to speak to his manager.  He then came out with his manager and she told me it would only be $120 to fix the phone.....I know it's getting old.  I told her the whole story, he told her who I was dealing with and that he had made the phone call and was told to do what they could to fix the issue.  Then the manager says to him, did you just bill it to the account?  Finally we are getting somewhere.  Well apparently he isn't able to do that since the phone is set up in the system as a corporate demo account, without getting fired the only thing he can do is look at the account on the screen, the manager says there isn't anything she can do and leaves.  He and I talk for a little bit and he tells me this works the same way for an employee purchase, they have to order their phone from corporate and it gets shipped, even if he was able to give me a new phone from store inventory he wasn't able to activate it, I would have to go through corporate.....but not once did they attempt to call whoever set the account up or any corporate contacts to get the issue resolved.  So we called my Sprint person back again and they explained the situation to her and she was even willing to pay over the phone to get the phone repaired for me....they told her they couldn't take her CC information over the phone....!!!!!

I know, I know.  So here you have a CSR in store, calling a corporate employee who is giving them a CC and permission to do the repair and they still won't do it.

I left with my broken Pre in hand and came back home.  My Sprint person WAS NOT happy.  She made some calls and I was just informed over the weekend that she hopes to be getting a new Pre sometime this week to send out to replace mine.

I never made a scene, didn't curse shout or get upset at the CSR or manager in the store, they were just doing what they thought was right, but I don't know how they couldn't see who set up the account or call someone responsible for such things in corporate and just handle the issue.

So, now that my fingers are about gone, and I hope you are still with me, you can see how my situation is somewhat similar to yours.

Store level just pawns it off as not a "known issue" and will do nothing about it, in addition to asking me 3+ times for a CC to bill the repair to, but when given a CC by an actual Sprint employee they won't take it.  Also if what you say is true that Palm says they know about the problem then how/why does Sprint continue to say it isn't?

Halcyon, I understand you checked and say it still shows as such, but what does it take for it to get shown as a known issue?  Is it something that comes down from Palm, or is it a store level thing where if enough stores are seeing the problem then Sprint escalates it to Palm for investigation?  Is this a process you can explain or clarify a little more on this particular issue?  I know that it could still be user damaged and not show any external issues, but look around at the number of people who have reported and they are all cracked in the exact same manner and in very similar situations, that would tell me that if situation XX causes problem YY then it has to be an issue that needs investigated more.  If you have people reporting different cracks or under different circumstances then I could say yes, it is an individual issue and handle on a case by case basis.

Journeyman

Greetings my pre brother in pain,

I sympathize 100% with your pain. The "funny" part of my story is that I have an authorization in my account from the customer service phone line to have my Pre replaced and the manager did not want to honor it. my receipt with a purchase date reflecting only 18 days from the date I bought the device. I have showed them articles and pictures of the issue and I was pleading for a resolution for about 25 mins or so.until they pretty much told me politely to take the phone either pay 100.00 or shove it...

The Palm rep indeed told me that there is an issue with the hardware and that they will be pleased to cover it because the device has a 1 year of warranty. Honestly the problem is that I do depend on this phone a lot and have to wait 7 days or so to get it repaired....something that Sprint could be doing instead of me...is very frustrating. I will do my best to keep reaching out as many tech columnist and reviewers as possible to make this issue known and dealt with.

thank you for your time,

Roberto Felix

Journeyman

I have held off getting the Palm Pre to see if there were any issues. I can not believe that these stores are ignoring the cracks in the screen issue. I have read numerous problems with cracks on numerous sites including this one. These store managers who are ignoring their own customer care should be fired! I can say I am not getting the Pre because of this issue.

Journeyman

I have had the indentical fracture of the inner screen after only a few days of use. I made

the mistake of buying this Pre from RADIO SHACK. Once presented with the phone <at RS>it  I was told in no uncertain terms that they could do NOTHING for me since the problem was I had abused the handset in some way. I also tried to point out as you did that there was not a mark on the outer case. No progress on that front. I personally will never buy another phone from that vendor.

Spoke with Sprint ,3 levels of customer service. Denied any knowledge of a problem with this unit and advised me to go to a service center to see what they migh do. I went to one not too far away and spoke with the manager,,,they were a

service center last time I was there but are no longer doing service at that location,, the manager also indicated that the damage was from abuse but was thinking about trying to help me when he realized I had purchased the Pre from Radio Shack at which point the conversation was over.

I finally called Palm. THIS IS WHAT YOU SHOULD DO FIRST. They were very helpful and I have send the handset back to them for repair/at no cost. They offered an exchange for a nominal fee but I was hoping I might have better luck avoiding a repeat of the problem if an actual Palm tech evaluaties what's causing this problem and corrects it in the one he/she sends me.

The bottom line is that Sprint and Palm need to be speaking to each other and not having Sprint antaganize it's customers. I have been with Sprint since 1998. I am very unhappy with my total experience with Sprint and am less surprised when I read about people leaving Sprint in droves. They really need to treat us better.

Journeyman

wow, I cant belive there are so many many other people with issues. I dont have a pre but I have a palm 755 and this is my 4th replacement phone. The 4th one they sent  to me was defective. I found this post when I was searching for what could be wrong with it now.  I belive there are some major issues with sprints replacements they send out. There needs to be a better system in place before they send a phone to someone who has already had issues with the phone they have. I have been dealing with them for almost 4 hours yesterday and today. I have been dopped to other reps and to palm only to be transfered back to palm. Iv had sprint for over 5 years and Im so dissapointed because Iv never really had any issues with customer service they are always great but then Iv never really had any problems with my phone.  Im just not willing to upgrade if this is the way customer service is with them now. At this point I want to throw my phone out the window and just switch carriers. My contract is up in august and I think I will follow the rest of the smart people somewhere else.

Journeyman

Thanks for the heads up.  I was very eager to buy the Palm Pre.  I currently have a Samsung Instinct.  In less than a years time the touchscreen does not respond properly.  I called Sprint Customer Care and they replaced my phone at a corporate store.  If anyone can post the various websites pointing out the cracked screen issue I would like to look into this myself.  My sympathies for all the unlucky Palm Pre owners going through  hoops just to get service.

Journeyman

Just do a google search for "Palm Pre cracked screen"

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat