Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cracked Palm Pre Screen

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Cracked Palm Pre Screen

Here is the answer for palm pre cracked screens.   Sprint is not standing behind the Palm Pre, BUT Palm is!   Call this number 407-531-4496 then hit option #2.   They will exhange units with cracked screens.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I would love for Sprint to come off the "not a known issue" reply on this problem.

We won't know true numbers but there seems to be a number of people with this very same problem and it doesn't appear that it is an issue that has been fixed with later builds of the phone if people are just now getting them and having it happen.

Palm needs to tell Sprint that this is a known issue, or they need to replace it and get reimbursement from Palm on the devices.  As you can see from my post on the first page I was asked 3 times by a repair center to get the phone repaired, they never once told me to file an insurance claim on it, all the while saying that is "not a known issue" and that I had abused the phone.

I will continue to follow these threads on this issue and HOPE that no one has to go through any of the hassle I went through even though I wasn't in the exact same boat as OP and others.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hello All,

I'm glad to know that my phone is not the only one with a crack in it.  I noticed it about a week ago.  The crack on my phone has started by the battery plug and now it's starting to make its way onto my screen.  I was tripped out because I have never dropped my phone and I never let anyone play with it.  I'm past my 30 day trial, though.  I don't think we should have to go through all of this for this phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I too have cracked screen on my palm pre that is less than 30 days old.  The crack originates from the black area near the battery icon.  I was hanging out around the house on Saturday, took the phone out of my pocket and the screen was cracked. I did not drop or damage the phone in any way, and there are no scratches on the phone that indicate a drop or impact.  My wife thought it was odd that this happened so easily, so she searched the web and found these posts, as well as a number of others on palm's site and other palm pre forums. My first step was to call the store I bought it at, who promptly told me to call Asurion, I mentioned the posts and they told me I could call Sprint support to report the problem.  I spoke with Sprint Support, who said there was no known issues with this problem.  Sprint support kept insisting that I take it back to the store in which I bought it, but I told them what the store told me over the phone and that I didnt think it would be worth my time.  I asked support to talk to tech support to see if they had any known issues and got the same answer.  The support rep told me to call Palm support, which I did.  Palm support told me that I could pay something like $250 to get the phone fixed or another option of a $400 deposit, etc, etc.  I then asked the Palm rep if this was a known issue and he said yes it is a known issue, but that Sprint just increased the warranty to 1 year and that they Sprint warranty department could help me reconcile.  I was transfered to Sprint's warranty department, who told me that my only option was to go through insurance.  Finally I told them that if this problem was not corrected, without me having to waste my time (which I had already wasted 2hrs) and their time then I was going to take the phone back and take my business else where.  Sprint warranty decided to transfer me to Sprint Account Services, who deals with customers who are thinking of leaving.  I explained my situation to this rep and was told that he could credit me the $100 that it would cost to place an insurance claim.  He also told me that I should go back to the store I bought it and talk to a manager about the situation.  I did that today and was told there was nothing they could do at the store level.

A few positives. I received a call back from the first Sprint Support rep that I spoke with, a few hours later, who was genuinely concerned with my situation and wanted to see if it had been resolved.  I really appreciated that.  All of the people I spoke with at Sprint were very friendly, understanding and considerate of my issue.  I was given a credit to cover the cost of the insurance. So it will not actually cost me anything out of pocket.

The negatives: Sprint is obviously covering up this problem. If Palm admitted that this was a known issue, then why does Sprint not know about this known issue?  I think this is a very bad move for Sprint and Palm considering this is their last hoorah at trying to keep/win highend first adopter customers that would be interested in other devices/carriers like iPhone/AT&T and MyTouch/T-Mobile.  It is time for them to acknowledge the problem, come up with a viable solution and work to ensure their customers that they will be taken care of, when a carrier or device manufacturer mess up.

The major issue I have now, is that considering that Palm already admitted to me this is a known issue, then by forcing me to file an insurance claim, isnt this a form of insurance fraud?  Thoughts?

Highlighted
Wizard

One of the things that bothers me the most about the way Sprint is handling this problem is Sprint's insistance that their customers file a false insurance claim instead of handling it under warranty.

Highlighted
Master

When Palm mentioned a $400 Deposit, That was just a hold on your credit card to insure that you send the defective one back. They would not have charged you to replace it.

The sad part is it is a defect that palm acknowledges(to some) but yet Sprint will do nothing to replace them.(Without a fight) Even thou SPRINT"S policy is to handle manufacture warranty's in store since this April. If anything it is Sprint not following thru with their own policy again. Sprint only seems to follow thru with what they put in writing when it benifit's them.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am now on the line with another Sprint support person, who has been amazingly helpful.  First she offered me a replacement phone at no cost. The only problem is that they are on back order and they do not know when they can get me the phone. This presents a problem since I do not have access to text messages and it takes repeated attempts to perform the most basic options.  So she then went to option 2 of calling the store that I bought the phone at to tell the manager to give me a new phone. Unfortunately the store was closed, as it closes at 8pm and it is now 8:40.  I am on hold waiting to hear what option 3 is, but will post an update shortly...if sprint only had all good people like the rep I have on the line now, then they not have churn and would actually be gaining customers!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am going to get a call back tomorrow, from the support rep.  Her name is LaTanya Stanley, from the Columbia, SC location and she is the type of person helps Sprint keep customers.  If I had gotten her on the phone the first time, she would have saved Sprint the cost of having to talk to me 3 other times, including 20+ minutes of instore discussion.  As I mentioned in my last post she really took the bull by the horns and decided that she was going to fix this problem and exhausted all options in doing so.  I hope that once we speak tomorrow, she will call the store, as discussed, and the store will agree to give me a new phone.  This is the right way to handle customer service/support, and these are the people that save sprint money and customers.  THANK YOU, LaTanya Stanley!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Levi4u wrote:

When Palm mentioned a $400 Deposit, That was just a hold on your credit card to insure that you send the defective one back. They would not have charged you to replace it.

The sad part is it is a defect that palm acknowledges(to some) but yet Sprint will do nothing to replace them.(Without a fight) Even thou SPRINT"S policy is to handle manufacture warranty's in store since this April. If anything it is Sprint not following thru with their own policy again. Sprint only seems to follow thru with what they put in writing when it benifit's them.

I know any big corporation is gonna have some consistency problems but all too often this seems to be the case with Sprint.  10 different people and 10 different answers.

Highlighted
Journeyman

My husband and I just bought 2 last weekend from Best Buy, we have 30 days to purchase insurance.  After reading everything about the cracked screen I'm thinking twice about possibly needing it.  We upgraded from 3.5 year old low tech Sanyo phones that were fine, except for technology.  Do you have insurance?  Is it worth the extra $20 a month (both phones if purchased through the Geek Squad, no deductible) if Palm is honoring the cracked screens for 1 year?

Any thoughts are appreciated, I've never purchased insurance in the past.  I've been a Sprint customer for over 9 years.

Highlighted
Journeyman

If anyone has a problem with their Pre's screen cracking, do not even call Sprint if it is after the 30 day period. They will NOTHING!!!!!!! Well they will, let you file a claim with Asurion, which is complete BS. Just call Palm directly and you will have a return auth within minutes.

Journeyman

I joined this forum specifically for this exact subject. And Tomas Is completely correct. If the phone is still under "warranty" Sprint should either replace the phone in house or give us the number for Palm. They Should NOT be telling us to call Assurion! When I realized all the people that must have made a claim, and paid the $100 fee I realized that The customer isn't the only one losing out on this. The insurance company is too! they are paying for those replacements, I called them and alerted them of the situation and they told me that they were not aware that the phone was covered under Palm warranty for year.

from what I was told, there are alot of claims coming in on the palm, and they have no communication with Palm whatsoever! they have to go through sprint to contact Palm and Sprint hasn't been to helpful as of lately

So if you reading them. please call Assurion. Let them know that Sprint is telling people to file claims. when the phone is covered under warranty.

I can say that I respect Palm for standing by their product. and I'm willing to give them a second chance. but Sprint has lost my Trust I spent hours being transfered, being put on hold, being told to call in a claim. being told they can't help me, when its really they wont help me.

Anyway , its good that we have the internet around. I was told my both the sprint store and the Customer service line that I was the first Palm Pre with this problem.......yeah right!

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat