cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cracked Palm Pre Screen

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Cracked Palm Pre Screen

Funny thing is, the button is not even needed. Swiping up or down in the gesture area provides the same function as the button. Palm should have left it off and just had a completely smooth buttonless surface.

After reading about all of the cracked screens, I forced myself to stop using it. I haven't pressed it in weeks.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I haven't had a Pre in weeks to use....

Hoping something comes through next week though.

Highlighted
Wizard

Thanks for the heads up.  I was very eager to buy the Palm Pre.  I currently have a Samsung Instinct.  In less than a years time the touchscreen does not respond properly.  I called Sprint Customer Care and they replaced my phone at a corporate store.  If anyone can post the various websites pointing out the cracked screen issue I would like to look into this myself.  My sympathies for all the unlucky Palm Pre owners going through  hoops just to get service.

Here is probably the most active of the threads about this problem:

http://forums.palm.com/palm/board/message?board.id=weboshardware&thread.id=145

IIRC there are links to the thread at the Palm.com site, too...

Take care,

Tom

baw_bee.gif "You killed Buzzy! You b_______!"

Highlighted
Journeyman

Wow! I can't believe that you went through that. I must say that I thought Sprint's customer service has been getting better. This just shows that there is a need for some sort of training for their employees.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for the heads up. You probably just saved dozens of people a lot of aggravation. If not by warning them, by spot lighting this issue so that both Sprint and Palm can come up with a more reasonable solution to these types of issues. And thanks for serving our country, from a Desert Shield/Storm USMC veteran.

Highlighted
Journeyman

To all, Greetings, I will humbly thank you for your support and continuous input. I sent today my Palm Pre to Palm for repairs. I tried everything I could to get someone in Sprint to take responsibility for what I think is the worst Costumer Service ever...At least if they try to just exchange the defective devices to cover up any manufacturer deficiency from Palm I will be ok with that. I really think this issue will become a PR nightmare for Sprint. Before the Pre I own a Samsung Instinct...NEVER a problem. It was inferior in comparison to the Pre in features and ease to write applications for i.t but, one thing I will give to the Instinct is that it was built like a rock!!...I have dropped that phone a lot of times and never a problem....I push the menu button in the Pre and ....CRACK!! Just to give you guys an update...at least the repair will only cost me 15.00 for the shipping charges...and I will be without it for 7 working days...at least I have my work phone to get my important calls... Thanks again, SSG. Roberto Felix NMNG

Highlighted
Journeyman

My Screen Just Cracked after just 15 days! I am PRAYING that palm will replace mine, corporate CS is calling me tomorrow. And If I get it back before my 30 days.....Im Returning it. I am not going to risk it with all of these hardware issues! Maybe I will return it, get a cheap phone and then buy a hero in November. I am so pissed right now though!

Highlighted
Journeyman

@boricua:

I, too, have a cracked screen.  However, I've read in these forums all about how Sprint won't do anything about it.  So, I called Palm.  They're sending me a new phone b/c they have a 1 year warranty on the Pre, and an "internal" crack on the screen is a covered item under the warranty.  They put a $400 hold on your credit card to ensure that you return the damaged Pre within the 15 days in their prepaid package, after which the hold comes off.  You'll receive it 2-3 business days after you call them to resolve the issue.

Hope this helps.

Highlighted
Wizard

@boricua:

I, too, have a cracked screen.  However, I've read in these forums all about how Sprint won't do anything about it.  So, I called Palm.  They're sending me a new phone b/c they have a 1 year warranty on the Pre, and an "internal" crack on the screen is a covered item under the warranty.  They put a $400 hold on your credit card to ensure that you return the damaged Pre within the 15 days in their prepaid package, after which the hold comes off.  You'll receive it 2-3 business days after you call them to resolve the issue.

Hope this helps.

What bothers me most about the Sprint response to numerous internal screen failures on the Palm Pre is the Sprint repair locations' absolute refusal to hadle the problem right there, and instead pushing the customer into filing an insurance claim with Asurion (at a cost of $100 to the customer).

Palm appears to have recognized and accepted responsibility for a specific internal screen cracking problem with a limited number of devices, and is handling the problem under warranty.

BUT, Sprint recently announced that it will handle the first year manufacturers' warranties instantly in-store:

How do I obtain warranty coverage for my device?

Sprint will cover the manufacturer warranty for mechanical or electrical failure for one year from the original activation date at a Sprint service location.

See: Warranty Coverage

If the manufacturer is covering these internal failures of the Palm Pre screen under warranty, as a number of folks have reported on other sites (notably on PreCentral.com), then why are Sprint repair centers insisting that customers file false insurance claims instead of handling the problem instantly on-site as promised?

Take care,

Tom

baw_bee.gif "They killed Buzzy! You b_______!"

Highlighted
Journeyman

qbngator wrote:

@boricua:

Hope this helps.

Thanks, I hope this is what happens! I am not 100% on returning it, yet.....because it hit me, If this was seriously widespread we would be seeing thousands and thousands of problems, which I am not sure this is the fact. I would have to guess that the majority of owners have had zero issues, at least yet. So I may keep it, I may not. It depends on if palm fixes the problem for me, and how easy the fix goes. I am hoping I get the same experience as you and thanks for kind-of reasurring me!

Highlighted
Journeyman

SprintNEXTEL_loyal wrote:

qbngator wrote:

@boricua:

Hope this helps.

Thanks, I hope this is what happens! I am not 100% on returning it, yet.....because it hit me, If this was seriously widespread we would be seeing thousands and thousands of problems, which I am not sure this is the fact. I would have to guess that the majority of owners have had zero issues, at least yet. So I may keep it, I may not. It depends on if palm fixes the problem for me, and how easy the fix goes. I am hoping I get the same experience as you and thanks for kind-of reasurring me!

Just as a follow-up.....Palm Corporate Customer Care gave me the same exact deal. I am very pleased and think that I will be keeping my pre. Check out my blog post for the full story!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Do you see how wrong it is that Sprint and Palm can't get together on this.  Why are we going to the Internet to figure this out. Why is Palm quietly replacing this phone and Sprint is pretending nothing is going on? Why can't they be simply replaced at a Sprint store so you have a working phone on your hand now! NOT 2,3, or 7 days later. You of course realize that the phone Palm replaces your's with may / probably is a reconditioned phone, right? Read Palm's website. So you bought a brand new phone and a week later you are getting somebody else's repaired phone and now you think Palm is great for standing behind their product?

New for used plus you get the pleasure of getting the run around from Sprint. You know if Palm would tell me "we figured out what was going wrong and the phone we have sent you has the "fix". I would be able to deal with the mess a little better. But sending the phone back to Palm periodically for another used phone seems just foolish. What do you think?

BTW the people who are online telling us how great their Pre is , I believe them. I <don't know for sure> believe these handsets are manufactured at more than one location. We are the lucky ones who got ours from the passive aggressive factory workers taking the misery out on Palm. The other ,non screwed up handset obviously came from a factory with some sort of quality control in place.

FOUND THIS <<note various suppliers >>

http://http://news.softpedia.com/news/Palm-Pre-Manufactured-by-Taiwanese-CMCS-107280.shtml

Taiwan-based Chi Mei Communication Systems will undertake OEM production of the Palm Pre, Palm's next-generation smartphone that will be launched soon. Chi Mei is likely to source handset FPCBs from fellow suppliers, including Career Technology, Ichia Technologies and Flexium Interconnect, with shipments expected to begin in March at the earliest, indicated the sources,” is what the news story says.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat