cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Transfer Assistant not running?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Data Transfer Assistant not running?

I'm trying to run the Data Transfer Assistant on my laptop (Vista 32 Home Premium, Palm Desktop 6.2.1), and whenever I run it, I get the error message

Data_Transfer_Assistant

System Error: The system cannot find the file specified.

Any ideas?

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

No idea!  Wow.  I've reached out to our Palm contact to see if they have any suggestions. 

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Highlighted
Journeyman
Journeyman

Just got off a 45-minute call with Palm support, because I was getting the same "System error: The system cannot find the file specified" error. Palm said that there *is* a problem with the file download at http://www.palm.com/us/support/downloads/pre/migration/dta_windows.html, and their "data migration team is working on the situation".

I strongly suggested that they put a message on that webpage, warning people about the problem. I'm not an expert, but I do know my way around standard PC software and tricks and I still thought *I* was doing something wrong, instead of thinking that there was a problem with the downloaded file. (And it sounds like "Doktor Jones" knows his/her way around PCs as well, and was flummoxed by this error message.) I can't imagine how lost & confused other people must feel when confronted with that error message....

Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

HXS - thanks for the update; I'm bringing this up to our lead team to be sure we get it updated on the site.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Highlighted
Journeyman

I finally gave up, and got a Sprint store to sync my contacts using the "Cellebrity" device thingy. That was a hassle too, but we finally got it to sync over.

Highlighted
Journeyman
Journeyman

Just got off the phone (again) with Palm Support after a 1-hour session trying to troubleshoot ... it turns out that the Data Transfer Assistant WILL NOT RUN at all if your OS is Windows XP Media Center.

The only solutions the Palm rep could offer were either:

• (i) find a friend who has a computer running some other flavor of Windows (like XP Home or Windows XP Pro), (ii) install Palm Desktop 6.2 on his/her PC, (iii) download Data_Transfer_Assistant.exe to his/her PC, (iv) sync your (old) Palm OS device with Palm Desktop, and (v) run the Data Transfer Assistant; or
  • (a) find a Sprint store with Palm Desktop installed on a computer, (b) sync your (old) Palm OS device with Palm Desktop at the Sprint store, and (c) have the Sprint store staff run the Data Transfer Assistant.

That stinks.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat