cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From Instinct to Palm Pre

Highlighted
Journeyman

From Instinct to Palm Pre

Okay, so I'm coming into some money soooon (thank god!) and I'm planning on switching from my Instinct. Now granted, I don't HATE my instinct, but I'd sure love to have a more stable, better working phone. I know there's no visual voicemail, I'm over it, it's no big deal honestly. I am hoping to get your opinions on the Pre and help me decide if it is, indeed the right phone for me.

I'll say that the dealbreaker on the Instinct for me is the web browsing (which has been giving m trouble, even using Opera Mini which is better, but not perfect) and the music player. I am just exhausted by having the music player quit on me 4-6 times a day, and now when I sideload songs onto the thing they show up in the file on the comp, but not in the music player itself. I'm not interested in buying a separate music player and carrying two devices around. I know that if I want a good music player in a phone the iPhone's an excellent choice, but there's no way in hell I'm paying the cancellation fee and for a new phone. Also, I am not interested in going to any phone using Windows Mobile.

Is the pre the way I should go? As users of the phone, do you think I'd be satisfied? If not, what phone do you think would fit me? Thanks so much for all of your time.

9 REPLIES 9
Wizard

Re: From Instinct to Palm Pre

I guess I would wait until tomorrow to decide. A couple of interesting happenings tonight.

Journeyman

Well for one thing, I know the price is now 150 which is wonderful of course, although I was willing to buy the phone at 200. I'm not really interested in what Apple has to say, as the iPhone's not an option for me. So I'm more concerned with whether or not the phone will match my needs and/or expectations than whether or not it's a good choice overall. Which I'm sure it is.

Wizard

I have been using the Pre for 3 months now, it is by far the best device I have owned. I have posted about my experiences with the Pre all over this site and yes I would recommend it. WebOS is a growing operating system and the community has done and is doing some amazing things. I moved to the Pre from an HTC Touch and before that a Moto Q both WinMo phones I don't regret it. Web browsing is effortless. I don't do music on my phone so can't help there.

Message was edited by: Dennyd

Journeyman

It is really hard to say because the Pre is a very unique and intriguing device with lots of potential and as the Apps leak out it is becoming clearer to me the potential for this incredible device. I also think it is the best handset that I have owned and don't think I would be willing to give it up for anything else that is currently available.

As for the music, I find it does an adequate job. I too don't wish to carry two devices and finally feel as though I leave my Ipod and other mp3 players in the drawer as I have since I got my Pre.

I think the problem is that being a 1.1 device it has a few things that others are not willing to sacrifice, but as I said I see the potential and am willing to wait and be a part of it developing.ll

Overall though I highly recommend the Pre!

spell check
Message was edited by: ksixftfour

Journeyman

The web browser is second to None, it's the best phone for web hands down. I, myself, talk to my phone a lot.  If they would integrate push to talk, live search, and navigation together, I'd own one.

Journeyman

goygacon wrote:

The web browser is second to None, it's the best phone for web hands down. I, myself, talk to my phone a lot.

I would have to agree with that, the browser is by far the best I have seen in a handheld device yet and when Adobe releases Flash it will even be slicker.

Journeyman

Thank you guys very much for your input. Okay, so I'm sold on the web browser. I know about the Palm Pixie but am not interested.

Still, I'm unsure about the music player. If anyone out there had an Instinct and used the music player heavily, if you can compare the Pre's music player to that and let me know if you're a good bit more satisfied, I'd appreciate it. Again, I'm not expecting an iPhone music player but... is it as good as a Sansa? lol

Master

I had the Instinct and barely used the music player at all on it, Even though it was one of the main features I bought it for. On the Pre I use the music player daily, Plus Pandora, DrPodder(podcast app), Shoutcast. I hardly ever use my ipod anymore.

Journeyman

I had an Instinct right before my Pre.  The music player is definitely as good, if not better.  It's still not one of the best features, but if you are comparing it to the Instinct, then you won't regret upgrading.  By the time you get the phone, there may be better features...and I would definitely go to precentral and get the music player (remix) from the homebrew community.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat