cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gmail Contact Sync Prevention?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Gmail Contact Sync Prevention?

Can I prevent contact syncing from Gmail? If so, where?

Also, if the contacts have already been synced, is there a place where I can mass delete them? Most of my contacts on Gmail are random emails with no associated information... thus I don't want them in my contacts list.

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

Re: Gmail Contact Sync Prevention?

Yup. 

Do this:

Go into Contacts

Click the Contacts dropdown in the top left.

Click Preferences and Accounts

See Google, click Google.

Click the red 'Remove Account' button.

Also, go into the Messaging app  (SMS messages, not Mail)

Repeat the above process to remove the Google Talk account.

Thanks,

Will

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks!

Digging through all of my gmail contacts is really frustrating - especially because I have several family members who LOVE forwards and therefore I have a contact for EVERY PERSON on the forward list.

I still wish there were an easier way to scroll through, pick the contacts I want to sync, and just sync them.

Oh well.

Thanks everyone.

Now how to get my stand-alone Outlook contacts to sync.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I can see this being a problem for a couple of reasons

1. WebOS and Synergy. Supposedly these two things since they are "always on" as well as supposed to keep everything all synced up and merge people together into one phonebook entry could cause a lot of problems. Google Sync on my Curve does exactly the same thing that you described as a problem, it put every single one of the 200+ e-mail addys from my Gmail account into my phone, not something I wanted at all.

Also on my Curve when I got the new Facebook app I of course wanted it to sync my FB account with my phone, but in doing so it felt the need to overwrite every custom picture I had for everyone with their FB page image. Again not at all what I wanted.

With Synergy and WebOS always keeping things up to date I don't see how you could get it tuned exactly the way you wanted while letting these new features do their job, you have to disable the Google Sync it seems to be able to keep it from doing what we don't want it to do.

Anyone else see this as being a problem?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am SOOOOO putting my vote in on this. Unsyncing entirely from gmail is NOT an acceptable solution.

Why does it grab EVERY SINGLE EMAIL ADDRESS you've ever written to? Wouldn't it make more sense to only grab the contacts the user has explicitly saved? Better yet would be the ability to go through the gmail contacts and select from the list who you do or don't want added (basically a check box next to each contact, and then two buttons "Add Selected" and "Add all but selected"). Then have the option of "sync new contacts as they are added", which you can turn off to keep it from syncing up subsequent contacts without your permission.

Is there someone at palm I (we) can email about this to get it fixed?

Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

I agree.  GMail Contacts has several sections - My Contacts, Frequent Contacts and All Contacts.

The Pre is grabbing All Contacts - which has every one I've ever emailed.  Every hardware vendor, every ebay seller, everything from the last 5 years.  Not Optimal.

The default should be 'My Contacts' - because according to Google, it is:

"My Contacts is a place to import, store and view all of the contact information that's important to you. You can also create your own groups of contacts to easily email many people at once."

Note sent to Palm.  I'm marking 'Unsolved' 

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Highlighted
Journeyman

I almost want some sort of extended favorites or speed dial list. Somewhere I need a way to classify my contacts - I love that the pre combines facebook, gmail, and outlook contacts and that makes my life easier. But facebook has old college friends and gmail has EVERYONE. 10 minutes after picking up my pre, I was looking for my husband in the mall and had to scroll through all thousands of contacts to find him. Considering that I am still struggling with the interface, I had a really rough time finding his number.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@Uzume wrote:
... I was looking for my husband in the mall and had to scroll through all thousands of contacts to find him. Considering that I am still struggling with the interface, I had a really rough time finding his number.

Instead of scrolling, you should be able to just start typing your husband's name and his contact information should appear.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@Uzume wrote:
I almost want some sort of extended favorites or speed dial list. Somewhere I need a way to classify my contacts - I love that the pre combines facebook, gmail, and outlook contacts and that makes my life easier. But facebook has old college friends and gmail has EVERYONE. 10 minutes after picking up my pre, I was looking for my husband in the mall and had to scroll through all thousands of contacts to find him. Considering that I am still struggling with the interface, I had a really rough time finding his number.

You can indeed set a speed dial. I've set up a quick step-by-step tutorial with screenshots here

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks to both of you.

This was 10 minutes after getting the phone and I was lost inside a mall and had already left the sprint store.

Of course, the bigger issue is why don't I have his cell # memorized?

I love the synergy concept but maybe there should be a better gatekeeper on it like through my palm profile or something. I'm just not sure that my little phone can handle all that it is automatically syncing to it or if I want it to.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Right; not to mention the amount of communication going on between the phone to sync some 500+ (in my case) email addresses and contacts. While our data plans thankfully negate the monetary cost of that, I imagine it still takes a heavy toll on the battery life, transmitting all that.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@Doktor Jones wrote:

You can indeed set a speed dial. I've set up a quick step-by-step tutorial with screenshots here

Doktor, thanks for the tutorial... awesome! Is it possible to see a list of your entire speed dial list?

For example:

1 = John Smith

2 = Susan Adams

3 = Blah blah blah

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat