cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gmail sync- won't accept password

Journeyman

Gmail sync- won't accept password

I'm trying to set up my mail app on my Pixi to sync with gmail, and it refuses to let me. From other messages on this forum, it looks like people have been able to sync with gmail. Am I wrong? Here is the message I am getting:

Could not sign in to account.

The mail server responded: Web login required. (Failure)

Please help.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Gmail sync- won't accept password

I have my primary email on the Pre as my Gmail account and was able to connect without a hitch.  When you try to connect make sure you have a data connection available (the little icon next to the signal bars -- if you have no icon or R icon then you don't have a data connection and the email won't work.  If you have a 1x or ev icon then you do have data and if it still doesn't work, my only suggestion would be that you delete the account from the phone and recreate it...you probably have something off on your username or password.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've got a connection. That isn't the issue. And I'm positive I'm using the right username and password. I have honestly typed them in 30 or 40 times now.

Here's something weird: I tried it again this morning, and it worked for about ten minutes, then I got an alert telling me my password had been rejected. I see on the gmail site that they don't fully support webOS's mail client. Nobody else has had a problem like this?

Highlighted
Journeyman

That's wierd.  I haven't experienced that.  Sorry I can't help you further.  You might try calling palm tech support (877) 426-3777.  They are pretty good (slow but good).  Make sure you don't call from the phone that has the problem.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just a thought, don't know if it applies...have you tried to login to your Gmail on a PC instead of your phone?  If you can login on a PC but not your phone, your best help will come from Palm support, not Sprint; Palm has a 24/7 phone support line just for the Pre/Pixi and "cloud" issues, those dealing with Gmail.  I got the number from a Sprint customer service rep when I had this same issue...did you previously have your Gmail associated with a different Pixi or Pre?

When the Pre first came out in June I stood in line and got two, for my wife and myself.  We both set up and associated Gmail accounts to our phones.  After about two weeks, I got frustrated with the Pre and went back to my Windows-based Palm Pro.  In November, after a couple of webOS updates and glitch fixes, my wife and I basically swapped phones.  I did a hard reset on the Pre and had Sprint reprovision it to my account, and it worked fine...except the e-mail, and by association, my contacts and calendar.  My Gmail account was still active on a PC, but when I tried to associate it with the phone, it wouldn't let me.  I called Palm, and they said it was impossible to reassociate this Gmail account to a different phone.  Thank goodness I had created a Windows file of my contacts from my Gmail account, because in the process of creating the new account, they had to delete the old account.

Hope this helps...and call Sprint for the number to the Palm support line.  But before you do ANYTHING, if you can still login on a PC, export your contacts/calendar from Gmail to a Windows (CSV) file on your PC desktop!

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat