cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP to Contribute WebOS to Open Source

Highlighted
Wizard

PALO ALTO, CA, Dec 09, 2011 (MARKETWIRE via COMTEX) -- HP announced it will contribute the webOS software to the open source community.

HP plans to continue to be active in the development and support of webOS. By combining the innovative webOS platform with the development power of the open source community, there is the opportunity to significantly improve applications and web services for the next generation of devices.

More about this release at http://www.marketwatch.com/story/hp-to-contribute-webos-to-open-source-2011-12-09?reflink=MW_news_st...

This is very interesting for HP since it could just have sold it to try to recover part of the cost that it had bought it for. Now it up to the open source community to keep webos alive? What do you think the future of webos will be now?

While I have not used webos I did try it at the store and from what I read in forum / comment from people it is a great os. To be honest the one time that I tried it I like it better than the first time I tried Android which was v2.1

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Wizard

Awesome post - thanks for sharing this in the Community! I am a pretty big webos fan - I had a Pixi before I went BlackBerry - and I really did love the user interface in webos because It put the user at the center of the experience. And, who doesn't love throwing cards off the top of the screen! Very cool stuff!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am a huge fan of webos. However, since sprint really gave up on it and palm seemed to not have the resources to continue developing it and then HP really screwed up i switched to windows phone, I truly hope that it survives and thrives since its a great OS and deserves to be one of the major platforms.

Highlighted
Wizard

I'd love to have WebOS on my current device.

My current Motorola XPRT (MB612), which replaced my Palm Pre, is much, much better hardware, but compared to WebOS, Android is a fairly ugly OS with many minor problems and missing bits that were just a functional part of WebOS.

I'd love to see some manufacturers with a serious reputation for solid hardware take on WebOS and offer it on some of their devices.

(I reality, WebOS could even be better than either Android or iOS from Apple. It really is that good.)

Journeyman

It's hard for me to imagine what will happen next with webOS.  It's been such a roller coaster ride.  I hope like heck  it survives, is optimized up to speed with the other major OS, the ecosystem grows and ends up on some solid hardware.  We've already seen other OS mimicking it's features. 

My Pre is dying a slow death, and I don't like the Android user interface, and I'm not impressed with ICS either.  The iOS user interface is better than Android to me, but it's still not webOS.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat