Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't get Music to my phone.

Journeyman

I can't get Music to my phone.

I'm having a hell of a time,taking music from my computer to my phone.I've taken music from itunes and moved it to Windows Media and that doesnt seem to work either.Do I need a certain edition of itunes?Can someone please help me

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Master

Re: I can't get Music to my phone.

Plug the phone in using USB, Choose "USB Drive", On your PC, Go to "My Conputer" and open the drive that is the Pre, Create a folder and name it "Music", Open the folder on your PC that has your music in it, Copy/Paste your music into the Music folder you created, Eject the Pre.

In order to use Itunes you need a version before 9.0.2(I'm using 9.0.1.8)

You can also use Double Twist http://www.doubletwist.com/dt/Home/Index.dt

Highlighted
Journeyman

The Pre doesn't recognize all types of music files.  If you bring WMA or AAC files, it won't even see them as music.  Make sure you rip your music to MP3.  The default for Itunes is AAC and the default for Windows Media Player is WMA -- you actually have to go into the options for either of the programs and tell it you want MP3 files (there is no real reason to use any file type other than MP3--I believe the reason both Apple and Microsoft set their software like this is to try and hook people into thinking they need to keep buying their products).  If you already have a lot of music in either of the other two formats you can go on line and download a free converter (there are many available).

Highlighted
Journeyman

I had trouble with this as well...but after doing what previous poster said(changing it from WMA to MP3), I got music on my phone now. THANK YOU!!!!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Actually, there's plenty of reason to use AAC rather than MP3. MP3 doesn't compress particularly well and it's pretty much old technology. AAC is an open standard (Apple doesn't own it, in fact it's a Sony technology) and it works on many many devices. The Pre does support AAC, in fact it supports AAC+, eAAC+, AMR, QCELP, & WAV. The reason some of the AAC tracks from iTunes don't work on the Pre (and any device other than a computer with iTunes and an iPod/iPhone) is the Digital Rights Management software that the music industry insisted on adding to the audio files in order to allow downloads. They only allowed Apple to sell music to be played on a very limited device set at the time. Most of the labels have abandoned DRM in the iTunes Store so if your music doesn't work on the Pre, it was probably purchased before the labels started allowing the music to be sold without DRM.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I had the same problem until I decided to do the old click and drag.  Have your Itunes up and go to your computor and get to your Palm which should be hooked up and click & drag songs or albums if you want to save time to your Palm pre.  Hope this helps

Highlighted
Wizard

As previous poster said, the phone won't be able to play DRM protected music.  If you use DoubleTwist as Levi suggested, it knows this and will not copy any DRM songs to your device.  I like DoubleTwist becuase it allows you to manage your music easier. If you use iTunes, it will also allow you to sync based on playlists you create in iTunes.  I make a playlist for my device and then just drag & drop songs from my iTunes library onto the play list. Then in DoubleTwist, just tell it to sync the playlist with your device and every time you plug in your phone and open DoubleTwist it will automatically add/remove the songs for you.

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat