ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Many unhappy people about Pre plans

Journeyman

Many unhappy people about Pre plans

I have been following threads on different websites like sprintusers, treo.. and there are alot of angry people, being forced to give up their plan to get a Pre.

After all the hype about Pre, many longtime Sprint customers including myself who has 2 treo 755's don't like to be cornered.

Either get rid of your old plan, (which was always screwed up in billing monthly until recently) or pay more for a similar plan to get the Pre.

There are many folks like me who pay for data, have enough minutes (3500) on a Free and Clear plan, ( which I never need to worry about going over our limit) and now will have to pay DOUBLE for a plan to get a Pre or 2.

Why double? No one likes to be afraid of going over the monthly limit and pay .40/minute. As a business owner we would have to opt for the unlimited plan ( if we want the shiney new Pre) which is actually more than double of what we pay now.

Our situation is not isolated, and I really dont want to hear from people who claim I am whining.

I am stating facts of many many people who feel the same.

I joined this forum because I felt my voice would be heard. I have been a Sprint customer since they bought Primco. (Anyone remember them?)

I stayed a Sprint customer despite all the CONSTANT billing problems and arguments with awful customer service who didnt know their right from left.

So it is a bit bad news to be with a company, while they bled customers, and then be forced to pony up to a new plan.

BTW this is the plan I have now.

• PCS Free &clear AMERICA Plan
  • $87.00 PCS Free &clear AMERICA Plan
  • Expanded Voice Coverage
  • Minutes Are Shared On This Plan
  • All Minutes Include Long Distance
  • 3,500 Anytime Minutes
  • Unlimited PCS to PCS Calling
  • Unlimited Night and Weekend Minutes
  • Nights: M-Th 9PM-7AM Wknd: F 9PM-M 7AM
  • Caller ID, Call Waiting
  • Three-way Calling
  • Voicemail
Monthly charge for service plan
$87.0
Plan add-ons for
* 500 SMS MESSAGES Included
* Sprint Casual Data Included
* Cellular Call Detail Included
* TEP ($3 Ins. premium + ESRP) 7.00
* Unlimited Night & Wknd Min 9pm Included
* 100 Text Messaging Included
* Sprint Unlimited Data Pack Included

Message Edited by floridacom on 05-30-2009 10:30 PM

156 REPLIES 156
Journeyman

Re: Many unhappy people about Pre plans

I totally agree with you. As I've stated in other threads, I have a Family Talk 550 plan with 4 lines... was 700 minutes, but we have nights at 6pm and never go much over 400 anytime minutes. I have a Blackberry data plan and my wife has unlimited messaging (oh, and they never mentioned that actually getting the pic/video on the phone was extra). The other 2 lines are for my parents who do not want, need, or even know how to use anything but the voice service. With my corporate discount, taxes, and fees, I pay about $110/mo.

Now, just for the privilege of getting a Pre, I will need to pay a total of $1005.40 over the 2 year contract. That's just ridiculous. And there's no reason for me to believe that any other smart phone in the future is going to require the same nonsense.

Additionally, I had 2 CSRs tell me I didn't need the Everything Data... I could just add the Biz Pro Pack. Well, which way is it?? How can a company not properly train their employees?? And the people at the brick-and-mortar stores are worse... they've screwed our plans up multiple times.

And for an entire year I had to check my plan on the website EVERY week and I probably spent a good 50-60hrs on the phone with customer support because stupid stuff like plan add-ons disappearing and others that I never asked for appeared on my plan. And a phone for some reason showed up at my door and I was billed for it even though I never ordered one. When I ordered my Blackberry Curve I got an 8830 instead and was CHARGED for it even though I returned it immediately (oh, and in Wisconsin if a company sends you something you didn't order you are under no obligation to return or pay for it).

Is Sprint ever going to compensate me for those hours I spent on the phone... as an IT consultant at my hourly rate my bills would probably be paid up for the next few years (not meaning to brag, just making a point).

I really want to make things work with Sprint. I've been with VZW, T-Mobile, and unfortunately ATT. Until recently, I've had the best experience with Sprint. But now, even as the CEO is trying to make an effort to get Sprint on the right track, my experience with this company is getting worse and worse. Paying $800 in early termination fees is looking more and more likely all the time (hopefully they'll raise SMS rates again so I have an excuse to get out early w/o paying fees).

Very frustrating.

Journeyman

I totally understand where you are coming from. I went through the same type of thing when I got the instinct last year. I ended up getting the simply everything family plan for all 5 phones on my account. It went for 99 dollars which includes the first two phones. The other 3 phones were 20 dollars each. In the end, it only came out about 20 dollars a month more than my previous plan. At first I was a little upset, but in the long run, I was very pleased with it since I never had to worry about overages and it gave my whole family the plan options that they desired. I also was very happy with the phone. Never have had any issues with it. I know others have, but I have not. Im a premier member, so I plan on buying the Pre on June 6th. You may want to investigate it a little further, you may find something that fits you well and may not be as expensive as you might have thought. Just my opinion, take it for what its worth. Hope it helps.

Journeyman

@mattzach2 wrote:
You may want to investigate it a little further, you may find something that fits you well and may not be as expensive as you might have thought.

Yep, I have investigated and simply everything shared plan is $189.99 for two lines, so I as said, more than double for the same situation I have now. True 3500 vs no limit but other plans we would go over .

Their 3000 minute plan is 169.99 which is double my plan for same features and less minutes.

ATT pulled this crap a few years ago when they had the $99.00 unlimited. My friend had the plan for years, the phone got old and they couldnt change the phone without loosing the plan.

What's the end game? Try to keep a customer for life or piss them off and send them somewhere else?

For those who claim you wont get a better deal elsewhere, it maybe true for now, but plans always change so that agrument is ridiculous and really has nothing to do with this.

I like Sprints coverage in my area and have stuck with them for 10 years, despite their customer service.

What has to do with this, is Sprint just wants people off the old plan, so they can make more money.

So each side wants the money in their pocket. They probably figure there will be 3 groups of people who are current Sprint customers.

1. those who will spend more to get Pre

2. those who pass on the Pre

3. those who Sprint will continue to loose for whatever reason, and their forced attitude with the Pre will contribute to others leaving

So in mho, its a numbers/dollars game. But treating current customers as a number rather than loyal customers is what corporations have a tendency to do.

Journeyman

I hear ya... in my case, I'm looking at the LOWEST Everything Data plan and it's still way too much just to upgrade a phone... if it was only $5-$10/mo, I probably would just suck it up and upgrade.

If you are going to use all the features of the plan on every line, yes it's a good deal. I think these Everything plans, though, pigeon hole every customer into either a group that does nothing but voice, or voice and text, or voice and everything. I think they miss the boat on people in my situation that have 4 people with 4 totally different needs.

I wonder if a lot of this is driven by customer service. I'm sure turnover is relatively high (at least it is at the brick-and-mortar stores) and from what I gather the data entry system is pretty rigid and poorly designed (I have experience with Siebel CRM so I know a little about these types of systems). Because even small changes in my plan almost always seem to lead to 2+ weeks of phone calls to get everything set right. So perhaps these Everything plans just make it easier on their staff to do their job? Just a thought.

Journeyman

Its hard to argue with that. I agree, but I think that you will probably run into the same thing no matter what service provider you have. Corporate America is always looking for ways to make that extra almighty dollar for their stockholders and multi-millionaire executives. Their always looking for ways to increase their bottom lines. I don't think that customer service or loyalty is something that these people consider much when making their decisions unless its something that actually makes them more money. And sometimes, I think they are so far out of the loop,and have no concept of what its like to be middle class america, which in the end clouds their decision making. The sad thing is America keeps feeding this mentality by buying their services. Im guilty of that as well. Sometimes, it may be best to do without rather then continue to feed the corporate greed.

Journeyman

I've been with all 4 of the major US carriers. All of them have their issues. ATT ripped me off $1700 (which I refuse to pay) for BS charges on my bill. VZW had a habit of crippling their bluetooth phones for a while and their plans seem(ed) expensive. T-Mobile was great, except their coverage here isn't so great and there's no 3G in the Milwaukee area. So, Sprint seemed to be the lesser of all evils.

But I believe in capitalism and competition and if Sprint is going to force plans on me I don't need or want just to get a phone, I'll use the power of my wallet to voice my opinion and I'll go elsewhere. Ya, maybe I'll end up paying more, but sometimes it's worth doing just out of principle. Then maybe if enough people do that, Sprint will realize they are making a mistake and do something to make it worthwhile to come back.

Sprint has a great opportunity here to try to right the ship. They have a nice phone coming out that has some of the buzz the iPhone has had and if they could combine that with plans and service they could maybe take away some customers from other carriers for a change.

Journeyman

I just signed up for Sprint 05-04-09 and I'm very happy with the service but the phone I'm not exactly in love with. Can I take it back and get the PRE?

Journeyman

Yup, I'm in the same boat.

I can't afford to pay so much more money.

I'm on a retail, F&F family plan, and the cheapest option would cost me more than $60 a month more than I'm paying now. That's absurd. And I would be the only one using data or texting! at all!

That leaves me with having to upgrade to another device other than the Pre, and there really aren't any phones [in my opinion] worth getting right now [reason i waited so long thus far] so I am very tempted to switch to another carrier. Probably T-mobile or Verizon.

My issue isn't so much getting a new plan; it's that the cheapest family plan for 3 lines is $150! I don't care what you put in it. We use 400 minutes tops a month, and only one phone will ever text or use data.

So yeah, if Sprint doesn't fix this issue soon, I really have no choice but to leave. I need a new phone, and there are much better offers on other proviers.

Sprint Product Ambassador

You have 30 days to swap phones - in otherwords, until 6-2-2009.  Just a couple days short.

I'd suggest going to the store where you bought it, and speak to the manager see if there's anything he can do to help you out. 

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

Floridacom,

Primeco was not purchased by Sprint - they ended up as part of Verizon Wireless.

Journeyman

@ShermCraig wrote:

Floridacom,

Primeco was not purchased by Sprint - they ended up as part of Verizon Wireless.

OFF SUBJECT but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PrimeCo they were broke up, sold to all the carriers. But in my case in was Verizon.

See- I have been with Sprint so long, Verizon was a horrible depressed memory .

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat