cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Message threads not deleting / incoming texts hidden

Go to solution
Journeyman

Message threads not deleting / incoming texts hidden

I've been having a problem with Messaging on my Pre.  I initially noticed that some conversation threads were missing, and that new incoming texts were not showing up.  I spoke with tech support about this, and they informed me I could locate these messages by typing the contact's name from the Conversations screen in the Messaging app.

After this I noticed what appears to be a related problem.  Deleted threads are not really deleting.  I don't see them on the Conversations screen, but if I start typing the contact's name, the thread that I thought was deleted will pop up.  If I swipe it, delete it, it appears to go away, but if I go back to Conversations and start typing the name again, it is still there.

This is related to the original issue because new incoming texts get attached to these invisible "deleted" threads, and consequently they don't show up as new messages on the Conversations screen.

So say I deleted an old thread from Ed.  Then Ed sends me a new text.  This new text doesn't show up in my inbox, it gets attached to the "deleted" thread (which isn't really deleted, just not visible).  Same thing happens if I send a text to Ed - it doesn't go out as a new message but gets appended to this invisible "deleted" thread.

(Tried calling tech support back to report this new wrinkle but got disconnected.  Will try again later and post if I learn anything new.)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Master

Re: Message threads not deleting / incoming texts hidden

This stems from swiping off text messages one after another and not choosing delete after each message swipe, Or swiping off the whole thread from the text conversion main page, It does not delete them only hides them, You can fix it by deleting the contact from the contacts and re-entering it. It is a known "Bug". Searching from the conversion text page only works for text recieved with names attached,( I believe the name has to be in your contacts for it to work) It wont work for text recieved using "Short Codes" For example the weather channel or twitter uses a "Short Code", Twitters is 40404, The Pre will not let you search in the Text app using numbers, If I place Twitter-40404 into my contacts I can then search starting with T brings up text from Twitter.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Master

This stems from swiping off text messages one after another and not choosing delete after each message swipe, Or swiping off the whole thread from the text conversion main page, It does not delete them only hides them, You can fix it by deleting the contact from the contacts and re-entering it. It is a known "Bug". Searching from the conversion text page only works for text recieved with names attached,( I believe the name has to be in your contacts for it to work) It wont work for text recieved using "Short Codes" For example the weather channel or twitter uses a "Short Code", Twitters is 40404, The Pre will not let you search in the Text app using numbers, If I place Twitter-40404 into my contacts I can then search starting with T brings up text from Twitter.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Master
Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks!  From the Palm forums it looks like a partial erase will fix the problem, but that will erase my downloaded applications among other things.  Do you know if I would have to pay for them again to re-download?

Highlighted
Master

No, The app settings are saved on your palm profile and they will auto-download back onto the phone after you reset it and insert your palm profile info.Try the first reset option "Partial"  before doing a full reset it does not delete your usb drive things, Photos, Music etc.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks, the partial erase seems to have worked, everything appears to be intact except all the old messaging conversations (hidden/deleted and otherwise) are gone.  (Although for some reason now it's not stretching my wallpaper to fill the screen, but I'm okay with that.)

Is there a "correct" way to delete txts so that this doesn't happen?

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat