cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Pre owner...with questions

Highlighted
Journeyman

New Pre owner...with questions

I just bought a Palm Pre and have a few questions. First off, is it recommended to use a screen protector on my pre and if so, is there a secret to getting it on without alot of bubbles in it? Second, is there a proper way to uninstall downloaded apps or do you just delete them? And lastly I see homebrew apps out there and they are full of "use at your own risk" warnings around them. Is it safe to use them and what risks are involved and what are the chances I would see these problems associated with them. I see some themes I would like to try and cant seem to find any on the official sprint catalog.I would really appreciate any ideas or recommendations anyone has to offer.  The phone is new and I dont want to do anything to damage it. Im sure that will wear off as time goes by.   Thanks...............Michael

Message was edited by: astarsfan

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Master

Installing a screen protector is up to you, I had one on my Instinct and it was fine, On my Pre I opted against it and have had no scratches.

The proper way to un-install apps is just delete them off the launcher page, Orange key>tap icon>delete.

Homebrew apps are very safe and have been tested thoroughly before being released,(alot of the Homebrew Dev's have apps in the official catalog) The best way to install homebrew apps and themes is to go here; http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-software/206905-webos-quick-install-v2-96-a.html

Install WEBOS Quick install on your PC, Use it to install "Preware" on your phone and then you will have access to all homebrew apps and themes right from that app directly on the phone. You don't have to remove homebrew apps from the phone when Palm releases any updates, But you DO have to remove the themes before upgrading.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I once had a screen protector on my pre... it was one of those invisible sheild ones, i hated it, it made the screen feel sticky almost, impossible to glide my finger over at all, though it didnt have any bubbles... as for homebrew apps, they are amazing, along with patches they will fix most porblems with your pre, follow what Levi says to get preware, i personally check it about once a day to see whats new (its now part of my morning schedule, get up, shower, brush teeth, improve palms failures) If its any indication i have about 35 patches installed right now, most of my apps are free homebrew or Palm web store apps, and i have one theme. but jutt be sure to uninstall all themes and patches before you update or they can get "stuck" (preware sas you have em but you really dont) or they may even brick your phone (though i have never had this happen) hope this helps 😃

Highlighted
Journeyman

The proper way to un-install apps is just delete them off the launcher page, Orange key>tap icon>delete. I SAW YOU RESPOND TO SOMEONE WHO IS A NEW PRE OWNER...

HI LEVI, I WANT TO DELETE A COUPLE APPS THAT CAME WITH MY PRE, AND I SAW THAT YOU PUT IN ORDER TO DO THAT I NEED TO PRESS THE ORANGE KEY, TAP THE APP, AND PRESS DELETE AND I'VE TRIED THAT BUT ALL IT DOES IS SHOW APP/ICON AND SAYS DONE IN A LITTLE BUTTON. IS THAT ONLY FOR APPS THAT YOU DOWNLOAD OR THE ONES THAT COME LOADED ON THE PRE?

Highlighted
Master

@ronni85, You can not uninstall the apps that came preloaded, Nascar,NFL,TV,Amazon Store. But if you load "Preware" from precentral there is an option to at least hide them.

Download WEBOS Quick install on your PC from here; http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-software/228310-webos-quick-install-v3-02-a.html

Use it to install "Preware" on your phone, You will be happy with the options that Preware gives you once installed.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@ Levi, yea this guy at radioshack told me about preware and i've been trying to download the webos quick install for the past 2 weeks and it won't let me do it and its driving me insane! I have a mac and i guess its not compatible with the java that they require, and i've also tried to download soylatte which they suggest to use if java doesn't work and it's still the same result. Have you seen any other options on how to get preware with a mac by any chance?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well i have a mac and it works just fine, i put it all in a folder labeled palm and it runs great. i do have some java apps that wont work though so perhaps try updating your java?? what kind of mac do you have?? and do you have webosdoctor installed as well??

Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

I followed this guide:

http://www.precentral.net/how-add-homebrew-apps-patches-and-themes

and it worked fine.  OS 10.6, Java 1.6, MacBook C2D

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi, astarsfan! Here's how to delete downloaded apps. You can refer to the screenshot below to help you.

1. Tap the gray arrow icon on the lower right of the screen. It's called the Launcher. You'll see all your icons.
  2. Tap the Launcher dropdown menu in the upper left corner.
  3. Tap List Apps...
  4. Tap the downloaded app you don't want, and you'll see a red Delete button slide up.
  5. If you don't see a Delete button, that means it was pre-loaded and can't be deleted. For those, you can at least do this:
    1. Go back to the icon screen (like you see below.)
    2. Press and hold the icon.
    3. Then drag it either far down on the screen (so it's out of your way) or even drag it to another screen left or right. This lets you set up your icons so the stuff you like is either all on one screen or all at the top.

Applying a screen protector without bubbles

Check out this article: http://www.wikihow.com/Apply-a-Screen-Protector

I'd also recommend any kind of rubberized cover that's shock-impacting. The Pre is a gorgeous and extremely fun device, but it's definitely not the most rugged phone in the Sprint catalog.

pre with launcher open.jpg

There are a bunch of videos and tutorials for the Pre (and other devices) from this page. Just look for the Interactive videos link under the bullet list for your device.

Cheers!

Highlighted
Journeyman

As far as putting the screen protector on...I bought mine at Best Buy then paid them (around $15) to put it on for me.  They did a very good job.  They had a whole bowl of liquid that they soaked the protecter in before applying it (something I wouldn't have had).  They spent about 1/2 hour using a credit card like object to work all of the bubbles out (I personally don't have the patience do do anything like that).  I bought the complete cover for both back and front of phone.  I am very happy with it.  It is tough and doesn't noticeably effect the touch sreen.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat