cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OS/Software updates..what can we expect?

Highlighted
Journeyman

OS/Software updates..what can we expect?

What version is coming with the Pre and are there any current workings on a new update for the device to enable any features or functionality that possibly was skipped over to get the device out to market on time?

I had read in a review that it will be possible to do OTA updates, will they get pushed out on a wide basis, or will you have to manually go to a website or check for an update to the phone every so often?

Tags (3)
21 REPLIES 21
Sprint Product Ambassador

Re: OS/Software updates..what can we expect?

No idea on features, missing bits, bugs, etc.  Sorry.

Over the air updates will be the rule.  Some of the updates are quite large and should be done over WiFi for best results.  The phone will notifiy you when there is an update available.  It will be downloaded when the phone is idle and connected to a high speed network.

When the update is downloaded it will prompt you to install.

You can read more in the User Guide, page 75 and on:

http://www.sprint.com/cdma/assets/pdfs/phone_guides/palm/palm_pre_100_ug.pdf

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

I don't think Palm has announced anything but the rumors are everywhere. The biggest one I've heard so far is that video capture will be added at some point. No timeframe of course.

One feature that is a GLARING omission is Visual Voicemail. I'm disappointed the Pre doesn't have it at launch. It is DEFINITELY something Palm needs to implement, and soon. I've had it on my Instinct for a year now and I must say, I have become quite spoiled.

Message Edited by sweet greggo on 06-05-2009 08:56 PM

Journeyman

I too had heard mention of some sort of an update to enable video capture.

That was my reason for this post, to kinda gauge what possibly could be in the works for the near future, I am sure Palm has some clue on stuff they want to get added or tweaked.

Rumor has it that video is in the works, yeah.  It'll be amazing!

Wizard

I don't know what versions are currently installed nor do I know of future updates (though I'm sure they will be coming), but the folks at Sprint who shipped mine to me on Friday apologized should there be fingerprints on it because they manually updated some of the software on it before it was shipped. (Should be here Tuesday.)<br><br>I'm really looking forward to putting the Pre through it's paces, and have already lined up a luncheon get together to compare phones with myself, an iPhone afficianado, and a Blackberry die hard involved. Should be fun. I can hear it now... "But can yours do THIS?" "How about THIS?" Smiley Very Happy<br><br>

Yes, we updated yours before it shipped.

Journeyman

I AM OKAY WITH IT OUT THE BOX.. Anything else wou;d just be a perk. I waited in line for 2 1/2 hours..

Journeyman

<blockquote><hr>wengla02 wrote:<br>Yes, we updated yours before it shipped.<hr></blockquote><p>Uh oh, if you find any more with those pesky fingerprints that can't get a good home on their own let me know. I'll take it in and give it a loving home, no charge. Smiley Happy</p>

Journeyman

There is an update already. Go to the update box and select it. I just updated

Journeyman

<blockquote><hr>Tomas wrote:<br>...and have already lined up a luncheon get together to compare phones with myself, an iPhone afficianado, and a Blackberry die hard involved. Should be fun. I can hear it now... "But can yours do THIS?" "How about THIS?" Smiley Very Happy<br><br><hr></blockquote><p>Fun trick: Pull out your Pre, and launch Pandora - let it stream a station, and wait for the iPhone guy to do the same. Now open the web browser and start surfing while music is playing, and wait for him to put his phone away _

I did that at a party last night, it was freakin' hilarious!

Journeyman

One of the reasons I purchased the PRE was because it was supposed to do Push IM. Well, I am dissapointed taht it cannot do MSN Messenger/Live natively like it does with GoogleTalk and AIM. What an oversight!!

Any word on either Palm adding this capability to IM or if it is possible for 3rd parties to do so?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat