ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outgoing email settings with an earthlink account- can receive but not send!

Go to solution
Journeyman

Outgoing email settings with an earthlink account- can receive but not send!

Does anyone have any suggestions for my outgoing email settings using an earthlink account. I have tried both smtpauth.earthlink.net (which is what earthlink recommends) and I have also tried smtp.sprintpcs.com

I have also tried deleting the account several times and re-setting the account. No luck

I had this same problem with my old Instinct phone and I can't remember how we fixed the issue.

15 REPLIES 15
Journeyman

Re: Outgoing email settings with an earthlink account- can receive but not send!

amy, this is weird... with my COX email account, smtp.sprintpcs.com works great on my Instinct but not on my PRE! I'm going to write this up in the Issues section. The smtp.sprintpcs.com should work.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Outgoing email settings with an earthlink account- can receive but not send!

If you have a gmail account you can use it for the outgoing mail.

Server: smtp.gmail.com

Use Authentication: On

Port: 465

Encryption: SSL

Sprint Product Ambassador

The Pre supports more options for SMTP.

Server name: smtpauth.earthlink.net

This server requires authentication using your EarthLink email address.

For Username or Account ID, enter your full EarthLink email address (example: johndoe@earthlink.net) and your EarthLink password.

http://kb.earthlink.net/case.asp?article=4015

That should get you set up.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Patron

Get an smtp.com account at smtp.com for $19.99 a year. You can send up to 20 emails/day from any of 3 email addresses you register on the site from any device you wish from any location on earth that has an internet connection for thet device, Universal outbount smpt service. I learned of it when I went to Costa Rica and wanted to be assured ofe being able to send outbound email from Outliik on my laptop. I have since set up any stubborn email account on my smart phones to use that outbound service. Watch out that the outbound server port is different than the standard setting, set it to 2525. There is no authentication required. Authentication is accomplished via the from email address being registered within your account. It is worth the money because it works when all else fails.

Journeyman

Will,

Thanks, but that doesn't work for some reason. I have tried, and the in-store Sprint rep has tried. smtpauth.earthlink.net does not allow for outgoing messages on my pre.

What else can I try??

Journeyman

I'm still on the pre waiting list so don't have first had experience but can you adjust the ports in which ituses to send/receive email? if so make sure your SMTP port is set to 587.

Journeyman

I'm havingEarthlinkemail problems with my Sprint Rumor phone. This is my first attempt at using email on a cell phone, prior to this I was just texting. My issue is I can set up the account ok and I receive the last 25 emails or current emails in my account but then whenever I try to check for email, reply or send a new email I get a box asking to renter my password. I don't think I should have to do this but I go ahead and enter my email password but then no ingoing or outgoing emails. I've deleted the account and repeated the process with the same results. Last weekend I went to a Sprint store and they didn't want to try anything tor resolve the problem. Disappointing, my contractis up so they probably assumed that I will just get a new phone to get around the problem. This may be the case, I may even try a new carrier if this isn't resolved. I tried to find something on the Sprint web site and there is no mention of any Earthlink issues. Are we the only two earthlink customers who use Sprint? I called the Sprint tech support line this morning and Chasitty (sp?) was very willing to help but not sure how much she knew about the issue. Whileon holdI checked to make sure I had the most up to date software version on my phone and I did. After stating her computer was slow this morning she asked if she could call me back in a few minutes and surprisingly she did. The big fix was to turn off my phone and take out the battery. She said they were going to reset things on there end. Then they gave me some codes to enter on the settings screen but after this process I tried the email again and no luck. The next offer was to send me another phone. I decided to pass at this time. Ah technology what would we do without it. I'm thinking of going off the grid.

Journeyman

I have 4 Earthlink accounts setup on my Pre. This is what I have for the Login Settings:

• Incoming mail server - pop.earthlink.net
  • Port # 110
  • Outgoing Mail Server - smtpauth.earthlink.net
  • Use Authentication - On
  • Port # 25

Hope this helps...

Journeyman

Thanks for the suggestion but it didn't work, still have to enter password every time check mail. I believe its a Rumor issue and Sprint isn't supporting it any more. planned obsolescence as usual. Lucky my contract is up and we can shop around. Thanks again and God bless.

Journeyman

You did it!

Journeyman

amy_doug, I wish I could say the same...I've tried every permutation listed here, along with several others.  Even spent an hour on the phone with Palm support.  I finally got an email to send while I had palmsupport's gmail address listed along with smtp.gmail.com as my outgoing server.  So I thought, okay, doesn't make sense to me why I'd have to do this, but I'll set up my own gmail account and go from there.  Alas, even that didn't work.

Here's where I am right now:

Incoming mail works fine.

Outgoing set to smtp.sprintpcs.com

Use Authentication is On (it's weird because I turn it off and save settings, but when I come back, it's set to On)

username dpgorder@gmail.com

password is my gmail password

port is 25

encryption is None

I've also tried smtp.gmail.com

Authentication On

gmail username

port 465

encryption SSL

I've also tried both the default smtp.earthlink.net and smtpauth.earthlink.net with various ports and settings.

Nothing is successful (except using palmsupport's gmail address, which obviously isn't a solution).

Guess I'll have to try sprint support next.

4 hours and counting, so far, on this problem...sigh

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat