cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Palm/HP Pre 3 and Veer

Go to solution
Journeyman

Palm/HP Pre 3 and Veer

Hi. I walked into a Best Buy today, and an HP rep (who was trying to sell the Veer) said that the Pre3 is not coming to Sprint -- that it's going to Verizon and AT&T -- and that it's expected in August.

As a loyal Palm Pre and Sprint user, I was very disappointed.

Journeyman

Palm/HP Pre 3 and Veer

I really hope that isn't true.  I say it's not official until someone high up at Sprint or HP says so, or if one of them issues a press release on the topic.

Journeyman

Palm/HP Pre 3 and Veer

I wouldn't expect a press release unless there is an agreement. Compenies tend not to write them for things they will not be doing. I'm preparing to move on to Verizon or ATT&T.

Journeyman

Re: Palm/HP Pre 3 and Veer

I got my Palm Pre on June 6th 2009 on the day it came out. I was 2nd in line at Bestbuy and left my 6yr relationship with Tmobile for Sprint. Over the last two years, I've had a total of 9 phones because of hardware problems that this pre has. I have been at my wits end and every time the sales agent at the sprint store offered me another phone at a deep discount I have vehemently refused. Why? I LOVE WebOs. However, since my contract ended last week, I am ready to move to whatever network picks up PalmPre3. I would hate to pay an extra $20 a month for a verizon or an AT&T plan BUT, I am willing to do it to get the PalmPre3 and the tablet.

I don't plan on getting any other phone any time in the future and frankly, I am bummed out that it looks like Sprint will not be getting it.

I saw an add for the Veer by AT&T and it broke my heart. I was the PalmPre3 and I want it on Sprint!!!

Highlighted
Wizard

Palm/HP Pre 3 and Veer

i'm very interested in a tablet (who isn't).  in following the Touchpad, the reviews and demos, looking at how well HP have incorporated the Touchpad with the Veer and Pre3, it would be silly to get the Touchpad and not also get a Veer or Pre3.  Sprint, wise up, this is a great opportunity because with your true unlimited data, the Touchpad and Veer/Pre3 will attract new customers for sure, in addition to the current Pre owners.  customers that will most likely spend money on both tablet AND phone.

Journeyman

So, as much as I am disappointed (read: disgusted) in Sprint for not coming forward with an announcement regarding a deal (or even a possible relationship) with HP ("no actual hardware" equals "little to announce") there *might* be one little glimmer of hope for a WebOS-based device on Sprint. The keyphrase is WebOS-based, not HP/Palm/Pre3. A few short weeks ago, the CEO of HP made mention that he would be open to licensing WebOS for other phone manufacturers:

http://the-gadgeteer.com/2011/06/12/hp-license-webos-now/

Hmmmm...this could indeed raise the hopes of many. If HP and Sprint can't reach a deal, maybe someone else, say HTC or Samsung, could license WebOS and we could see a "Pre" by another mfr.

Just dreaming out loud,

Techiedude

Journeyman

Techiedude, I agree that the idea of webOS getting a push from hardware makers like Samsung and HTC would be incredible, but unfortunately, it leaves the short term lack of webOS support on Sprint out of the picture since it would likely be another year (at least) before these products could hit the market.

When (not if) I buy a Pre 3 for myself and one for my wife, I would like my business to stay with Sprint, so I'll keep hoping with you

Journeyman

Palm/HP Pre 3 and Veer

TECHIEDUDE007 wrote:

So, as much as I am disappointed (read: disgusted) in Sprint for not coming forward with an announcement regarding a deal (or even a possible relationship) with HP ("no actual hardware" equals "little to announce") there *might* be one little glimmer of hope for a WebOS-based device on Sprint. The keyphrase is WebOS-based, not HP/Palm/Pre3. A few short weeks ago, the CEO of HP made mention that he would be open to licensing WebOS for other phone manufacturers:

http://the-gadgeteer.com/2011/06/12/hp-license-webos-now/

Hmmmm...this could indeed raise the hopes of many. If HP and Sprint can't reach a deal, maybe someone else, say HTC or Samsung, could license WebOS and we could see a "Pre" by another mfr.

Just dreaming out loud,

Techiedude

Yeah, I read about that too.  It would be great to have more options.  But I really love the Pre form factor.  I know that others want a brick with a 4.3" screen, but I really want a Pre with a slightly larger screen, faster specs and better build... just the phone HP is coming out with.  Now, that I just got a good used Pre I may wait it out for a while and see if some of the Pre 3 devices turn up on eBay in the coming year.  I would gladly buy one for $250-300 off contract. There has to be some Verizon customers that will end up not liking it and wanting the brick.  Here's hoping that Sprint will start giving us device options.

Journeyman

Palm/HP Pre 3 and Veer

I'm with you on that - I don't want a brick with virtual keyboard; just the same form factor with a little bit larger screen and faster app loading.

Out of curiosity, if HP releases their webOS phones on a carrier other than Sprint, which carrier would have phones compatible with Sprint's service?

For those at Sprint corporate reading this - this doesn't get you off the hook from getting your own webOS devices, this is strictly hypothetical; not every Pre owner can afford $300-$500 out-of-pocket for a non-contract phone...

Techiedude

Journeyman

Palm/HP Pre 3 and Veer

Sprint is CDMA.  So, Verizon (CDMA) would be the only other option.  AT&T and T-Mobile are GSM.  Not compatible with Sprint.

Journeyman

Palm/HP Pre 3 and Veer

It is my understanding that it's next to impossible to get another carrier's device activated on Sprint, so don't go rushing off to buy a Verizon Pre 3 expecting to use it on Sprint's network.

Journeyman

Palm/HP Pre 3 and Veer

Thnx BIGBOXES1 and NYISLESS13 - good info to have. Something I found that may be of interest:

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B004YZF17Y/ref=pe_23451_25373901_pe_vfe_dt1

The above Amazon.de link lists a Pre 3 release date of June 30th. Don't know how much stock (no pun intended) we can place in that since we haven't seen it listed on the US or CA Amazon site for North America (much less announced by its own mfr) but this could offer a little insight/crystal ball/hope for our situation.

Techiedude

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat