cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Palm/HP Pre 3 and Veer

Go to solution
Journeyman

Palm/HP Pre 3 and Veer

It is easy to get frustrated with HP, but I try to keep in mind that I've never spent $1.2 billion to buy another company, and merge it with my multi-billion dollar company, while merging roadmaps and making sure the Palm GBU has it's pace set to fit in with what the rest of my massive corporation is doing. Also, I try to remember that HP hasn't even owned Palm for a year yet. The deal went through sometime last July.

I, for one, am actually glad at the way HP is doing some of this. Palm released the origninal Pre without much retailer training or advertising. Part of the failure of the original Pre was that Sprint representatives didn't really promote it (kind of fairly since Sprint had so much grief dealt them by the poor hardware). HP Seems to be getting a lot of retail partners (for the TouchPad), planning a lot of training, trying to get some apps built (Facebook wouldn't build a TouchPad app since they don't consider tablets to be needing apps with the full browser, so HP built one), and making sure they can actually have a large scale campaign ahead.

I know that no one really likes to hear it, but these things take time.

Also, I promise that you won't get $100 off a 32GB iPad2 and a free wireless charging device from Apple, no matter how many old iPods you have lying around your house

Journeyman

Palm/HP Pre 3 and Veer

Dengquist makes some good point. if anyone besides HP had bought Palm, i'd almost certainly be looking for a different phone. with HP in charge, i'm sure we'll see more from our phones.

Even if Sprint doesnt get the pre 3 on launch, they will soon dont you think? wont it be worth the wait? I'm not sure, maybe i'll need to store all my pre equipment for a year... we'll see.

Journeyman

Palm/HP Pre 3 and Veer

I have been a Sprint customer since 2000, and I am Sprint Premier Gold member and really love the pricing structure at Sprint. I have also been a Palm fan for years. I started with a Palm Treo 650 and upgraded with only newer Palm devices until the Palm Pre which I bought on opening day. I am very excited about both the Pre3 and the Touchpad and am really torn on which is more important to me, WebOS or Sprint. I have been very involved in the homebrew community and written some of my own stuff for WebOS plus have many apps. I just cant see myself letting all that work go to go to a new OS that I would have to start all over with and still continue to monitor WebOS's success and only "hope" that Sprint gets a new WebOS phone in the future. That said, I also dont want to pay more money and get less on a different carrier. I love Sprint. In 11 years now I have rarely ever had any issues with the service and when I do they have always taken care of me (although I have sometimes had to push them).

I just dont know what Im going to do. Honestly, for now anyways, I think I am going to sit here with my Palm Pre and watch for a while to see what happens. I dont want to deal with all of the bugs, issues, and updates that I did when I bought my Palm Pre. Now that I have a stable Pre with the help of multiple updates from Palm and MANY MANY homebrew patches and some of my own changes, I think I will wait a year to see how the new Pre3 does and the Touchpad, and possibly wait to see if the prices drop, bugs get worked out, and maybe just maybe by then Sprint will have gotten on board with another WebOS device. Perhaps I can hold out long enough to see the TouchPad 2 which would surely not just have better hardware but also allevaite alot of the bugs and user issues learned from the original debut.

Just my two cents.

Journeyman

Palm/HP Pre 3 and Veer

Viper expressed my feelings about the situation exactly!  I hope there are thousands of Sprint customers who feel the same.

Journeyman

Palm/HP Pre 3 and Veer

At this point, it's wishful thinking that Sprint will get the Pre3 based on not getting the Pre/Pixi Plus or Pre 2.  Would it be worth the wait?  Most likely, but that's assuming it arrives. Frankly, I'll believe it when I see it.  I haven't given up, but I'm more discouraged every day.

Journeyman

Palm/HP Pre 3 and Veer

Yea, I'm convinced that HP/Palm is keeping us in the dark about the Palm Pre! It's not ready to roll obviously and when and if it does on Sprint I fear that it will be too little too late to make a difference! It's not going to go over big if it's not 4G because where I'm located (east bay) 3G phones don't sell much anymore! It's not going matter too much to Sprint if all the Pre owners leave because there's no new Pre 3! Sprint is getting new customers by the droves! Sprint gets a lot of new customers from AT&T because AT&T service sucks big time and when the iPhone comes to Sprint it will be all over for WebOS! I see this right now unless HP makes us a offer we simply can't refuse!

Journeyman

Palm/HP Pre 3 and Veer

I got a call from a Sprint CSR while I was shopping for nuts and bolts in a hardware store...Typical no-charge call (which was monitored) asking a valued customer if I had any problems, or if I would like a free phone, etc.  I asked him if he knew what my current phone was (he did - Pre minus).  I told him that I would use my $150 upgrade credit on only one phone - a Pre3.  He asked me to hold on while he looked it up.  You know the rest of the story.  He asked if he could call me back in a month with any info on new WebOS phones.  I said, "Sure".     

Highlighted
Wizard

Re: Palm/HP Pre 3 and Veer

You still badmouthing  WebOS phones, Ron?

RONBOY52 wrote:

Yea, I'm convinced that HP/Palm is keeping us in the dark about the Palm Pre! It's not ready to roll obviously and when and if it does on Sprint I fear that it will be too little too late to make a difference! It's not going to go over big if it's not 4G because where I'm located (east bay) 3G phones don't sell much anymore! It's not going matter too much to Sprint if all the Pre owners leave because there's no new Pre 3! Sprint is getting new customers by the droves! Sprint gets a lot of new customers from AT&T because AT&T service sucks big time and when the iPhone comes to Sprint it will be all over for WebOS! I see this right now unless HP makes us a offer we simply can't refuse!

As to Sprint's current "4G" service, you do realize just how much of the planet that covers? Even looking at just your part of the country, nearly nothing...

4g_coverage.jpg

Those tiny darker brown stains are the "4G" areas - the orange is 3G and less.

You don't care about WebOS, we get it. You live in a 4G area so you think everyone wants a 4G smartphone at extra monthly cost, we get it. You think there are other devices out there better than any possible WebOS device, we get it.

Thing is, that is not what this thread is about, Ron. It's about a bunch of people who DO care and want a new WebOS smartphone.

Journeyman

You're wrong about that Tomas! I'm only looking at what customers in the Sprint store where I live think! I still use my Pre! I've seen the performance of what 4G can do and most of the phones that are 4G, when they are operating on the 3G network, are pretty fast! I can't say that WebOS is the best OS but I do like my Pre. It's certainly better than my Windows phones. I do wish it had a bigger keyboard and voice command though! I'm really bad mouthing HP! I think this problem with the Pre 3 is all their fault!

Journeyman

"

I'm really bad mouthing HP! I think this problem with the Pre 3 is all their fault!"

Which problem would that be? The one where they haven't announced any carriers yet, at all?

The phone isn't released yet, folks. It's not like they made announcements for one carrier and not for others.

Journeyman

Palm/HP Pre 3 and Veer

I am also going to leave sprint if they dont get the palm pre 3.I am tired of sprint doing this to us, they didnt even make an offer for the palm pre 2.

Journeyman

If HP had it together they would be working in keep existing Pre customers happy by continued support for the Pre! HP is very, how would I say it, slow in developing the Pre's stance in the market! For example, the current Pre should have voice command by now but it doesn't as far as I can see. That's a function that most phones have these days! Something like Google Voice would be nice to have beside a good voice command! Thomas mentioned that 4G is very underdeveloped in my area, which he probably is correct, and I don't really care about it right now, but most customers here want their phones to be able to access 4G now. I'm just pointing out the short comings that I think HP is responsible for and not Sprint! After all HP controls the developement of WebOS devices! I keep saying over and over again that the Pre 3 is NOT READY! Now who's fault is that? If it were ready I think we would see advertizing for it! You forget that I'm still using my Pre so I must like it but I'm not going to say it's the best phone out there but it certainly is better than my other phones minus a few features! It seems as though many people on this site badmouth all the other phone that Sprint sells which I don't think is fair because those phones sell well in the Sprint store where I live! One concern of mine is will HP continue to support the current Pre! They should because you can still buy the current Pre online! I'd be happy if HP continued to upgrade WebOS on the current Pre that they still sell for Sprint! It's not Sprint"s fault if they don't! See my point?

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat