cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Palm/HP Pre 3 and Veer

Go to solution
Journeyman

Palm/HP Pre 3 and Veer

Sent an e-mail to all the addresses you provided.  Now to sit back and wait.  The hubby upgraded his android phone this weekend and they were pushing me to ditch my Pre (HA!), so his line is locked in for another 2 years, but mine isn't.  After being with Sprint since 1996, I'm hoping they'll see what a detriment dropping WebOS will be.

Journeyman

Re: Palm/HP Pre 3 and Veer

Contrary to perceptions of my opinion about the Pre 3 situation, I'm saddened by any news that Sprint may not carry the Pre 3. We can't be sure that Verizon or AT&T has reached a deal either! HP is clearly struggling with the WebOS platform and even more so with Sprint. It's unfortunate because all of us love Sprint, no doubt or we'd had been gone long ago. I've contacted HP several times about updates and the Pre 3. I think they are really struggling to market WebOS at this point.We can only hope that HP can put more effort out! I think when a company stops developement and updates on existing hardware that spells trouble but hopefully HP can come through for us Pre owners! HP is now talking about licensing out WebOS to other companies and not just developing the Pre 3! What I don't understand out of all of this why AT&T or HP is not advertizing the Veer? I go into the AT&T store and almost no one is looking at the Veer except me and I wouldn't buy it because it's too small a phone for me! Seems as though AT&T and or HP puts little effort in pushing it! In the Verizon store they don't even care if they get any of the WebOS phones! Amazing that anyone wouldn't see how HP involvement is undermining the whole situation!

Journeyman

Maybe now that Stephen DeWitt is replacing Jon Rubinstein in charge of WebOS, it's a good time to also cry out to HP to make some deal with Sprint. 

I'm holding out right now without contract on sprint only because i successfully converted a Pre 2 to work on sprint thanks to webos internals.  I will not sign a new contract with sprint for any of my 3 lines unless I can stick with WebOS.

Journeyman

AKILIKING00

I can't find an unlocked Pre 2 to sprinterize (at an affordable price) off topic here, but may I ask where you got yours?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Palm/HP Pre 3 and Veer

1. My understanding is a CDMA radio that runs on Verizons band will not work on the Sprint network.

2. I doubt that HP would engineer and manufacture a bunch of phones for the relatively few Sprint webOS users.

3. Even if they did I doubt Sprint would activate them.

As a customer I wouldn't want it that way either. Who would I call if I had a problem with service? Sprint would tell me it's HP's fault, HP would tell me it's Sprint's fault. It would be a huge cluster.

No, for me to stay Sprint will have to carry the Pre3, not just allow a rogue phone to be activated.

Wizard

Palm/HP Pre 3 and Veer

DGAMMILL wrote:

1. My understanding is a CDMA radio that runs on Verizons band will not work on the Sprint network.

2. I doubt that HP would engineer and manufacture a bunch of phones for the relatively few Sprint webOS users.

3. Even if they did I doubt Sprint would activate them.

As a customer I wouldn't want it that way either. Who would I call if I had a problem with service? Sprint would tell me it's HP's fault, HP would tell me it's Sprint's fault. It would be a huge cluster.

No, for me to stay Sprint will have to carry the Pre3, not just allow a rogue phone to be activated.

1) All current 3G CDMA devices provided by both Verizon and Sprint work on both Verizon and Sprint bands - that is how they can freely roam on each other's networks.

2) The adaptation (for 3G devices) is really only software: The software the individual carriers demand or reject, and the "PRL" (Preferred Roaming List) that essentially controls which network the radios look at first.

3) THAT is the problem: Getting Sprint to activate a device that works perfectly and lawfully on their network on one of their plans.

(It isn't 'til one gets to what is laughably called "4G" that there is a real divergence in the actual physical devices.)

As to your last argument, you do have a point, although even now if you have a problem the first thing Sprint will tell you is that it is your device. You know, the "turn it off, turn it on, turn it off, remove the battery, put it back in, turn it on, take it to a store, sorry we can't help you, you need a new phone" routine. Even when the problem is provably in their network, they will tell you it is your phone, and that there are no network problems. (AND this is the first time they've ever heard of your problem, even if you are third in line at the counter with the very same problem.)

That's off topic, though, so we'll just skip that.

Take care!

Tom

Journeyman

Palm/HP Pre 3 and Veer

Good NY TImes articel about RIM (Blackberry) and how they work with providers and how providers support RIM. Maybe HP could learn something.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/13/technology/research-in-motion-courts-carriers-in-hopes-of-rebound....

Wizard

Palm/HP Pre 3 and Veer

Well, I got my expected call from one of Dan's people in response to my recent email.

She was patient, seemed able to listen forever, but could really offer no useful replies.

To  my comments that those of us currently using the Palm Pre on Sprint who  need to replace our devices when the finally fail are greeted with  essentially "go Android or go home" at the stores because Sprint has  discontinued carrying the Palm Pre she responded that Sprint still  carries the Palm Pixi... I told her that was like having one's Cadillac  backed over by a snow plow, going to the dealership and being told they  no longer have Cadillacs, but we have these very nice Chevettes... The  Pixi is not replacement for a Pre.

She did mention the  Pixi several times as an alternative to going to Verizon or AT&T for  a Pre if we needed to replace our devices, and did not seem to  understand that the Pixi is not a replacement for a Pre, Pre+, Pre2, or  Pre3.

When  she asked if there was anything else that was a problem with Sprint,  coverage, service, or anything, I did mention the thousands of square  miles of "native coverage" (by contract) lost when Verizon bought  Alltel, then divested large areas of that network to AT&T, moving  Sprint customers in those areas to very, very poor roaming contracts for  service.

I complained that being moved to those poor  non-3G roaming contracts loses travelers their Location Services  precisely when they need them most - while traveling, and that Sprint  needed to get back to providing decent coverage and services in those  thousands of square miles, either by contract, which they had for years,  or by actually building out their network in those areas where we had  "native" coverage for years and no longer do.

Bottom  line was that she repeated again that Sprint does not ever comment on any of it's future  activities, so she couldn't do any more than note my concerns about  WebOS and coverage, have a nice day.

Have a nice day yourself, Sprint. We are not your enemies, we are your customers. We are both on the same side, the better you do the better we do. The sooner you realize that and start treating us as part of the same team instead of the opposition, the better...

Tom

Journeyman

Palm/HP Pre 3 and Veer

It looks to be pretty clear that Sprint will not carry the Pre3 or any webOS device for the forseable future. I've already resigned to the fact that I'll be leaving soon to (most likely) AT&T when the Pre3 comes out. I've always been secretly jealous of those with sim cards so perhaps this is for the best.

Journeyman

Palm/HP Pre 3 and Veer

I will be moving to Verizon or AT&T...  No one will dictate to me what phone or operating system I'm going to use...

Journeyman

Palm/HP Pre 3 and Veer

I'm thinking no-one is moving anywhere because the Pre3 is vaporware.

Journeyman

Palm/HP Pre 3 and Veer

Hello fellow webos inthusiast, I dont really want to move to another network because i have a pretty good deal here that i am very comfortable with. I really hope the Hp pre 3 will come out for sprint soon but those are only hopes. I chatted with a representative a couple of days ago and they told me they are about to launch a Hp line up  "soon" but she claimed they dont know what models or any dates. Here is the print screen for reference. For people that may think i made this up why would i go through this trouble to create this. Im a real lazy.Screen shot 2011-07-08 at 6.31.07 PM.png

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat