cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Palm/HP Pre 3 and Veer

Go to solution
Journeyman

Re: Palm/HP Pre 3 and Veer

Well the HP CFO just made the official announcement that WebOS devices are shutdown. Though she spoke of alliances, the ability to get devices out and certified is another year down the road. I can not wait that long.

Journeyman

Closing down a program on a Android phone is really very easy! It's not so easy if you're just used to flipping a card off the screen like you do on a Pre! You ever hear of the task manager? Every PC/Windows computer has that program, well it's the same for Android devices! How hard could it be? LoL!

Journeyman

Then you either don't have an Android phone or you don't know what you're talking about.  I have an EVO and while you can "close" an app with Androids version of a task manager (and it does not operate the same as Windows) when you check on running apps you will find many that are still running even though you closed them already and some that simply will never close no matter how many times you "kill" them.  They just keep starting over and you have no option to change that.  A good example is Telenav but there are many more.  It is easily the stupidest problem that Android phones have - and it is a problem.

Journeyman

I do have a very good Android phone on Sprint and it doesn't have the problems that yours have! There are standard services that run in the background but I can definately can stop a program from running and manage what programs are in memory! It's a no-brainer for me!

Wizard

RONBOY52 wrote:

Closing down a program on a Android phone is really very easy! It's not so easy if you're just used to flipping a card off the screen like you do on a Pre! You ever hear of the task manager? Every PC/Windows computer has that program, well it's the same for Android devices! How hard could it be? LoL!

No, Ron, I really have no idea what "Task Manager" is.

I've used computers since 1969, written a few minor programs and many scripts for myself and the companies I worked for, had an internet email and usenet server on-line 1984-91, been System Administrator for a number of systems, but never, in all those years, have I been a Microsoft Windows user.

I'm a Unix, MacOS, OS X, and webOS user.

When I want a program to quit I simply tell it to quit. I don't have to invoke yet another program to tell the first one to quit unless the first program has a serious error.

Then, I usually just tell the operating system to force quit (kill) the program.

Of those operating systems I'm familiar with, only webOS was lacking a readily accessible kill command for runaway programs that didn't simply quit when told, but that was fixed by a small rooted addition.

Journeyman

WOW, is this a bummer.

I will stay with Sprint and get a Windows 7 phone when one becomes available.

Bye Ronboy. I will look forward to not reading your posts anymore.

Journeyman

Palm/HP Pre 3 and Veer

Looks to me like Sprint knew all along that HP would waffle on the support of WebOS and that's why they chose not to invest further in a platform they knew would soon be dropped by HP.  HP shot themselves in the foot by putting all their focus on the Touchpad instead of getting the Pre 3 to market sooner.  That should have been their flagship device and they should have put everything they had into getting it released on all of the major carriers long before now.  All this talk of being behind WebOS for the long haul was nothing but lip service.  I wouldn't be surprised to see death threats against Leo Apotheker by some of the rabid WebOS fans out there.  He better hire some extra security with the money he's saving by killing WebOS hardware.

Journeyman

Palm/HP Pre 3 and Veer

I find it very interesting how people are SO SURPRISED by this!!!  HP said from the get-go they would be looking into options to license WebOS to the market place.  The fact that they have more than dragged their feet to get their "flagship" device to the market, the fact that they invested minimal to nothing in comparison to what Apple is investing says all over the wall that they NEVER HAD ANY INTENTION of producing WebOS devices.  They even said this in a very run around statement that, "They were interested in the software of WebOS"!

Now with that being said, I think this IS the day the WebOS needed.  With Google, gobbling up Motorola - Samsung and HTC will be needing a platform to power their personal devices and I have to say, HTC and Samsung have the game DOWN when it comes to devices.

We are going to see something extraordinary with this announcement, HP can concentrate on the support software and get their minds off the dubious task of getting the hardware right.  HTC has shown they are more than ready to tackle the hardware side of this, look at the HTC EVO and HTC EVO 3D, not to mention the rest of their top of the line "Flagship" devices.

Imaging what HTC will produce for WebOS, knowing that this is THEIR OWN operating system.  HP has shown that with even being half cocked they have the ability to market, now think about what HP could do when they don't have to worry about the device side....

I am cautiously optimistic, and I think HP is working out their grand scheme.... one they had a blueprint for before they ever bought Palm.

Journeyman

Palm/HP Pre 3 and Veer

To anyone else interested in expressing their outrage over this news, here's the link to email Leo directly:

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/execteam/email/ceo/index.html

Journeyman

Palm/HP Pre 3 and Veer

You know I love webos, but I'm about tired of HP & Palm.  I don't think they would buy Palm for several billion dollars, to not do anything with it, unless they are purposely trying to bankrupt themselves.  The webos software is great, but the original pre hardware sucks by todays standards, I most definitely will email LEO

Journeyman

GeminiStyle16 said " I don't think they would buy Palm for several billion dollars, to not do anything with it..."

Ah, the life and largess of HP:

Bought/merged/killed DEC

Bought/merged/killed Compaq

Bought/merged/killed Palm

I see a track record...and not a very good one...

I used up just about all of my $50 app store credit last night before they decide to do something else to "make it right"...

On the upside (if there can even be one), I'll keep watching the Staples/Best Buy sales to maybe pickup a few on the cheap ($100-$200 maybe?); I'll just reload my Palm/HP profile on each one and get all of my apps on multiple tablets for family members to use...not sure if this will work, but, what the hey (...anybody know if it will? lol)...if the price comes down enough I can always test this option and there's always homebrew for apps

Now it's off to the bathroom to hurl in a bag, package it up and ship it to Leo...

Techiedude

Highlighted
Journeyman

Palm/HP Pre 3 and Veer

Mea Culpa, Sprint.

We thought it was you who didn't want to carry the Pre 3, it turns out HP themselves didn't want it!  I wondered at the time about the strange product launches by HP, but it seems their CEO intentionally sabotaged the consumer products division (putting thousands of other people's jobs on the line, I might add) so that he could take the company in a direction that he wanted.

Once again, I'm sorry Sprint, I guess you knew what a pack of idiots HP is all along.

I'll stay with Sprint for my next contract (my current one is over today, coincidentally).

Derek

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat