cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Palm Pixi is driving me nuts. How does the Samsung reclaim compare?

Journeyman

Just a couple of days ago I got a 'upgraded' to a pixi from a centro. I loved my centro, and I loathe this pixi. I don't like not having manual movement. I mean: I am not doing well with the touch screen only limitation. When trying to scroll pages I either go too fast and end up at the bottom of the page, or I touch to long or hard or something and end up selecting things I don't want. It took me a friggin' hour to browse the apps list the other night. I get almost no reception in my apartment. My centro didn't get fabulous reception here, but this thing is dropping calls left and right, and no one can hear me when I call them. When I browse the web every page I go to is tiny tiny tiny, the centro automatically made them phone friendly. And for some reason, I can only make it zoom sometimes, the rest of the time it just thinks I'm trying to select something, and takes me to pages I don't want. I find the menu confusing and limited. I mean, is a "settings" option really too much to ask for? I want the traditional "settings" option from which I can change ringers and alerts, change brightness, change, well, most any kind of "setting" in the darn thing. AND when I go to the facebook tile it'll show me I have notifications, and it'll let me see them but when I try to go to the photo a friend commented on or whatever it takes me to a page that just says "requested page can not be found". It exists, my computer finds it. What gives? And it's slooooowww. Like so very annoyingly slow.... There's some other stuff, but it's not coming to mind at the very moment... Soooo I'm thinking of trading it in for a Samsung Reclaim. Anyone have anything to suggest/say about any of this?

Ok, I guess this was useless.... : /

Message was edited by: lauren.roberts

12 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: Palm Pixi is driving me nuts. How does the Samsung reclaim compare?

I am with you 100%!  I traded my Centro for a Pixi, too.  And I have had all the troubles you have had!  I can't find a user manual.  I don't even know if the thing is on or not!  Don't know how to bring up the screen. And what's with the battery!?  It hardly lasts at all! My Centro was beginning to have battery problems and it STILL lasted longer than this Pixi.  I hate it, too.  My hands dry out in dry weather, and my fingers are rough and scratching up the screen (which is almost useless anyway, because I keep getting the wrong things, just like you!). I'll have to check and see if I'm still in my 30 day trial, and I'll send this stupid thing back and revert to my Centro!  Think I'll just use it and get an iPad.

Sorry I'm of no help.  But I do commiserate!

Journeyman

I feel the same way, Im not liking this phone at all. Im on the 3rd phone in 3 months. I going to change it out tomorrow.

Journeyman

Was thinking about the Pixi originally but now have the reclaim. Its decent, lots of good features. I hated the browser and was even going to trade the phone in until I downloaded Opera Mini and it made a 100% difference in speed and functionality. So here are my pros and cons of the Samsung Reclaim after a month

Pros:

Small, lightweight, ergonomically comfortable to use

Ecofriendly

Colorful bright display

Superb menu functionality (sprint one-click)

Small slide out keyboard

Excellent features from Sprint

Cons

Too small of keyboard (takes practice)

Battery life short when doing anything with data

Phone quality ok

Browser is the worst I have ever used (get opera mini instead)

Conclusion:

A good value phone with a ton of features. For me, paying the 69.99 data everything is better than paying 100+ for an android phone. Most people will find they can do all they need on this phone. Next time maybe consider a smart phone, but for the next year this will more than satisfy my needs (data, text, talk) in that order.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I got plam pixi for my wife recently. Though it is light weight and sleek, its battery drains out every 10 hours (without using) and surprisingly the clock never shows the right time. Navigation is another thing that sucks heavily.

Journeyman

I've had the reclaim for allmost a year now & have had lots of trouble with it. Many times I plug it in to charge & it tells me it's the wrong device & powers off. It does this numerous times before allowing a charge. A few months ago I could not receive picture mail for weeks. Lately it freezes during texting, powers off automatically, & doesn't allow me to make or receive calls. I would NOT recommend this phone to anyone.

Journeyman

I got a Reclaim 3 months ago. For the first 2 months it was ok. Now I've found out that not everyone that I send texts to are getting them even though the phone says they were sent. I'm not getting all my texts. It freezes constantly. Sometimes in order for me to send a text I have to let it fail then turn it off, turn it back on, and try again and MAYBE it'll work. The battery life is awful. I can have a fully charged battery, call someone and leave a voicemail, and the battery go dead. It gets a power surge sometimes and goes really bright and freezes. And sometimes it just decides to restart. If I could go back, I would have never gotten this phone. I honestly don't remember what attracted me to it in the first place. The keyboard is so small that my texts generally consist of misspelled words with bugs me dearly. I would never recommend this phone to anyone. I wish someone had stopped me from getting it.

Journeyman

Lauren -

I have a Palm Pre and it took me quite awhile to get used to the features and understand how to work some of them.  I previously had a flip phone.  ha

What I have learned is that the screen is rather sensitive and it is difficult trying to scroll without it selecting something.  And regarding the small print, I learned from someone who has an AT&T phone that you just expand it with your thumb and forefinger.

While I have gotten used to my Palm Pre, I still would like to find something just a little easier to navigate.   Just don't know yet what is available.

Hope you have overcome the frustrations a bit.  If after several months you still have a problem, I would look at changing phones.

Message was edited by: GCBell58

Journeyman

I got my Palm Pixi as my contract upgrade (I couldn't pass on $49!) from my previous Palm Treo 755p.

But I had to switch back to my 755p (until I can decide on another phone)

I would have loved to have kept the Pixi, if it had had the ability to import and export files directly via bluetooth like my previous treos (755p, 700p, my Palm T/X) were able to do.

I couldn't even directly import my contacts from my 755p directly to the Pixi via bluetooth!

I used to be able to send pics, contacts, music, memos, calendar stuff, etc directly to my pc or to someone else's phone via bluetooth . . .

What was Palm thinking? (Or Not Thinking?)

Some people have suggested that I try the Pre, but I don't see the point if the basics of the phone are lacking the abilities I was used to having.

I'm thinking to now try one of the android phones - maybe the Samsung Moment.

Patron

Pixi is a horrible phone. WebOS has been going thru upgrades that are not improvements at all. I now cannot access Facebook, nor expand pics without them getting distorted or pixelated. It takes forever to boot up and shut down when resetting. There's no memory slot for an SD card like the centro. There's no stylus like Centro...for those with big fingers. The rubber case gets warped after several charges and looks like crinkled bacon. What a horrible phone! I wish Sprint would make the deal to get iphone...or comparable...and make them affordable.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.