Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Palm Pre Battery life

Highlighted
Journeyman

Palm Pre Battery life

Hi all,

I recently traded in my pre for a non faulty one.. the lady also traded my battery saying my original battery was defected.. But I noticed that my battery life with this new battery is even worse!  Is it my new pre or is it the battery?? how long of a battery life do you guys usually get?

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Journeyman

well i usually am awake and to class by around 10ish so thats when the phone gets unplugged. it will usually last me until about 8 or 9 if i dont plug it in during the day. i have noticed that my new pre gets worse battery life than my old one, i think it may be that the phone "learns" your usage habits and adjusts them?? the one thing i have noticed is that sometimes right after unplugging my phone, i will get a low battery alert, then a minute later it will jump back to full. the other day i even had a  -1% battery, that concerned me until it jumped back to 84%, anyone else have this issue? oh and may i ask where you obtained a non faulty pre?? i wasnt aware such a thing existed..

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have only had my Palm Pre for a little over 2 months now and while I love the phone and all that it can do I have had many problems with the battery life. I had the original battery replaced after just 1 month due to it being defective and the replacement battery hasnt been any better. I leave my house with the phone fully charged and by 5pm I have only 10% battery left. I am not using it at all during work hours and I am not running any apps in the backround. I have had the phone to sprint twice already and had an online chat with a Palm OS Rep with little or no assistance. I getting close to returning the phone for something else.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm not sure if this is an option for you but there are third party batteries that are 2600 mAh more than double the original battery.  Problem is they are expensive and require a new back for the phone (slightly increasing the width of the phone).  Here's a link to look at what I'm talking about.  (Its the battery at the bottom of the page)

http://store.precentral.net/palm-pre-batteries.htm

Message was edited by: claizik

Message was edited by: claizik

Highlighted
Journeyman

Get the Seidio large battery and back cover it is more than worth it. I can go more than 18 hours with more than average usage before thinking about recharging. Additionally it has improved reception ten fold for me in buildings where it would roam looking for anything. This is the best bet I would recommend to anyone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am very satisfied with my battery life. I use it heavily for data, but only make a few calls a day and it will last all day no matter how much I use it.

It is much better than my Ipod Touch which will drain very quickly when I use data on it.

Make sure you have Wi-fi setting to off... if you have this on it will drain your battery. I find surfing with the off air data on my pre as fast as surfing with wi-fi on my Ipod Touch so I only use my Pre now.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Actually it is better if you leave the WiFi on, the pre is designed to use the most economical data available to it. now if you leave a wireless area, yeah, turn it off, but if wifi is available then you should turn it on, it will help on the pre. im not sure how much data you use, but if its enough to kill your touch in a few hours then perhaps you should invest in a laptop?? besides, Sprint puts a cap on your data usage (5MB??) and will charge you exorbently if you go over that (yes, even on the unlimited plan)

Highlighted
Master

@runningfish, There is NO 5GB CAP on the data plans, Just the aircards.

Highlighted
Journeyman

he is rigth otherwise i would be in deep doo doo cause last month i used 159 mb and i wasn't charged any extra

Highlighted
Journeyman

LOL I have a friend who got a data card from Verizon.  It had the same 5gig limit.  He didn't understand this very well and during the first month he left his computer on the whole time connected to file sharing sites.  At the end of the month his bill was $1800.  Needless to say, he's no longer with Verizon.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@runningfish:

This is in reference to how to save batery life on Pre Wi-fi off will save batery.

Your tone and comments are offensive.

I will say that the pre has the best web browser of any I have experienced and I am quite happy with it. Great for browsing while you are awayfrom home, or don't want to bother going into other room to use your laptop :*) And I love how you can just type in any address from the keypad without pulling up a search menu or web app and it will go right to the page. Very intelligent design!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Im sorry, i didnt mean to come off as rude. i know it seems wrong but having your wifi turned on is better for your battery life. this comes from the way the Pre handles data usage. I too use my Pre to get online quite often to do small quick tasks, however i was just saying that if you are using your iTouch or Pre for hours on end online that it may be in your interest to get something a little easier to use and something faster. I personally am a college student so having my laptop in my dorm makes it easy to get to. I agree that the way you can simply start typing makes it very easy to use, and the fact that it has one of the best browsers (minus the mem leak) is nice. But again, turn your wifi on to save battery if you have wifi availible. the Pre handles data better that way and so saves battery. do a few google searches on it and you will find it is true, even though it seems backwards.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat