Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Palm Pre - Longest-Term Owner?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Palm Pre - Longest-Term Owner?

I convinced one of my family members to switch over to Sprint because of the great service options it has and I warned him that although the Palm Pre had an amazing OS, I read it was laden with hardware issues. I had read that Palm supposedly had been doing things to improve the hardware problems, though no official announcement or recall had been made. He just switched late August, and not two weeks after getting his brand new Pre the power button stopped working all together. He is taking it back to Sprint.

So I'm wondering - who here has had the Pre for more than a month or two and still has NOT had any hardware issues? I'm beginning to think that 90% or more have at least some poor manufacturing issues.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Wizard

Re: Palm Pre - Longest-Term Owner?

Bought my Pre June 6. No issues at all.

dd

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have had the same Pre since June 6th also.  No problems.  My son's Pre from June 6th was replaced on July 4th.  He has the same Pre since then.  I have had no hardware problems except when I use a Seidio 1350 battery which doesn't fit perfectly then the phone will turn off if I open the slider too hard.  When I use the regular battery I have no problems at all.

Highlighted
Journeyman

On June 18, I bought two Palm PREs.  One for me and one for my wife.  The ONLY difference to what came out of the box is I bought 2 Seidio 1350 batteries for the phones and a Seidio protective cases. I haven't installed any screen protectors as I can't seem to ever get it right.   Neither I, nor my wife has had any problems with the phones.  No slider looseness, no pixel problems, no screen discoloration problems on either phone.  (Except when I look at the screen while wearing polorized sunglasses.)

The phones have not required any resets, and other than changing the battery, neither phone has been turned off since purchase.  I do have lower signal bars as opposed to our Treo 755s, but I haven't dropped any calls regardless of the signal bars.  I occasionally dropped calls with the Treos.  The only complaint is when in the back of a large store like Best Buy, I sometimes can't hear the other person on a call, or they might not hear me.  Moving closer to the front of the store solves the problem.

I admit, I do not any Homebrew apps, but that is merely my personal choice.  My wife in not electronically inclined.  She still can't program the tv remote.  But she is extremely comfortable using the Pre and adapted to using it, updating the Web-OS, and downloading apps from the apps catalog and for the first time in her life, she texts messages.

I have either been extremely lucky with these phones, or perhaps a bit more careful than other users might be.  In either case, we like the Pre.  Haven't had any hardware issues (knock on wood), and as far as we are concerned, it is one of the best phones we have ever owned.

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat