cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Palm Pre constantly goes into Offline mode webOS .1.3.5.1

Highlighted
Journeyman

Palm Pre constantly goes into Offline mode webOS .1.3.5.1

I've been using this phone since September of 2009 and haven't had this problem before. Last week when I updated to the webOS 1.3.5.1, my phone constantly goes into offline mode (Upper right corner it says "Phone Offline"). This is very annoying because my income calls goes straight to voice mail and I can't text or surf the web when it's Offline. I'm losing business from clients.

At first, I thought maybe Sprint is having signal outtage issues (due to the cold front?), so I waited for a couple of days and I'm still experiencing the same problem.

I've called Sprint and they tried to reset my connection and then asked me to shut down and remove the battery for 3 seconds. I've done so and I'm still running through the same problem. I called Sprint again and they told me to take my phone to the closest Sprint store to get it diagnosed. This is such a waste of my time. Is anyone else running into this same problem?

If anything, I will just buy another phone (Never a Palm again)

I've had nothing but problems with this phone:

-Memory leaks/major lag

-When I try to close an App by dragging it up, it comes back down

-When I only have 2 cards open and try to open another one, it says too many cards open. I close all of the cards and open just that single one and it says the same thing. I have to restart the phone because everything runs super slow

-Memos "mysteriously" dissapearing and then reappearing again

-webOS updates screwing up my Apps (mafia game)

8 REPLIES 8
Journeyman

Re: Palm Pre constantly goes into Offline mode webOS .1.3.5.1

I am having the same issue.  It makes me and those who try to call, CRAZY.  Sprint told me the same thing.  I had it diagnosed and they said nothing wrong.  I am supposed to pick up my "new" pre on Friday, and I am really upset.  I spent a fortune on this phone, pay insurance and they are going to give me a referb...it may be yours.   I love the quality of pictures, but I am SERIOUSLY debating if I really do want my referb pre on Friday or pay AGAIN and go back to my Blackberry.

Journeyman

My Pre has been going through the same problem- first noticed a few days ago.  Called Sprint on 2 separate occasions (from an iPhone no less) and they led me through a series of resets.  When none of them worked, they agreed to send me a replacement Pre (my 3rd Pre since June's launch).  As soon as I upgraded to webOS 1.3.5 last night, the same Phone Offline cycle started again.  Today, Sprint had me upgrade the Network Settings and the PRL, but it hasn't worked.

On other forums, I've seen talk about different account syncing being responsible.  I just have 1 Gmail account, 1 school email, and Facebook- no non-App Store apps or patches.  Anyone tried other troubleshooting with success?

Journeyman

Same problem here, I think it has to do with the Palm Profile more than any hardware issues. This happened to after I got a replacement phone activated and even after the exchanged the phone same thing keeps happening.

Journeyman

Well I fixed mine and it seems it had something to do with my Gmail account. As soon as I removed my Gmail account (I was using IMAP) the phone started working fine. I also removed my google account from the calendar app and contacts. This solved the problem so I just went backt using Gmail through Google Sync, which uses Microsft Exchange to deliver push email, contacts sync and calendar sync ( if calendar and contacts were stored and synced to you google account they just work like previously but a little better). The phone works great and it seems that battery life is a lot better than when using the Palm Synergy (at least in my opinion). Hopefully this helps someone.

Here are the instructions:

1.0 Open Email App,

2.0 Preferences and Accounts,

2.1 Remove previous gmail account ( dont worry it should not erase your messages)

2.2 Add Account and start following the directions at

For step 3.   Click Here which will redirect you to a Google Sync instruction page for the iphone which you can start following at number three as it is almost similar to the ones for the Pre.

P.S do not ad the @gmail or @googlemail just you user name will do without what follows. Good Luck!! Also re adding the account also re-created the problem so do not add the account back again if removing it fixes your problem.

Message was edited by: BAMBAM

Journeyman

I did not have my Gmail installed, but decided to delete all of my accounts and will reinstall them.

I think I need to learn a whole lot more about my Pre than taking pictures LOL

Do you know the difference between Palm Synergy and Web OS?

Master

The Pre going into offline mode has nothing to do with GMail, It is just a coincidence that it has not happened since you deleted it.

Journeyman

I deleted my Verizon e-mail account from my phone and it works fine now. I tried to re-add it, but it goes into offline mode again. I'm not too sure what's going on there, but Palm is looking into it.

Journeyman

Levi4u wrote:

The Pre going into offline mode has nothing to do with GMail, It is just a coincidence that it has not happened since you deleted it.

Actually in my case the problem had to do with the email as I changed two phones and that did not fix anything but the problem kept replicating, it looks like the problem gets backed up in your palm profile. There definetly was something wrong with the 1.3.5.1 update and Gmail as soon as I deleted it the phone would work normally but as soon as I would add Gmail again using IMAP it would restart immideately. Also the automatic and manual back up function was not working when Gmail was used along with IMAP.

The Palm® Synergy™ feature brings your online accounts together on  your phone in one simple, logical view. Any changes you make on your  phone or on the online accounts are updated automatically in either  location.

Sync your phone with Yahoo!, Google,  Microsoft Exchange, Facebook, or back up to your Palm profile account. Good article explaining the concept is here

Message was edited by: BAMBAM

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat