cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Palm Pre or Palm Treo Pro 850

Highlighted
Journeyman

Palm Pre or Palm Treo Pro 850

Hi ~ I'm looking for any thoughts/suggestions...I currently have the Samsung ace and am now looking at the pre & the pro; but can't decide which one to get. I get bored of my phones very easily & love new gadgets. Has anyone has any experience w/both & can offer any insight. Thanks in advance.

11 REPLIES 11
Patron

Re: Palm Pre or Palm Treo Pro 850

Don't get the Pro. Its just a 800w with a little more. These have been my problems with the 800w:

• Broadband doesnt work anymore
  • The Wi-Fi wont always find my network at home. I have to shut it off a couple of times to find it
  • Touch screen sometimes doesnt work it just magically stars to work again
  • The phone would rather tell me there is a Wi-Fi network nearby than tell me I have a missed call and/or voicemail
  • The phone will shut its self off for no reason and you wont know its off until you try to make a phone call. And when it asks you turn on the phone, it doesnt continue with the phone call. Youre standing there with the phone up to your ear, thinking the phone is dialing, but its just idle
  • Cant use picture mail. Only able to receive, cant send. Its grayed out
  • Cant use the NASCAR or NFL apps that Sprint promotes all the time.
  • You cant copy and paste anything. Except when youre editing with in a particular app like contacts. You cant get a phone number in a text and copy it to contacts without dialing the number itself
  • Even with key lock, somehow the phone will dial and/or apps will open. Most often, contacts or calendar end up with erroneous things in them.

Journeyman

Thanks for the info! Anyone else?

Journeyman

Please do not listen to what "World_Biker" has said, or atleast take it with a grain of salt. Firstly, try them both out and come to your own conclusions - everyone has their preferences.

The Treo Pro corrects all issues had with the previous treo 800w. I have the Treo Pro for both Sprint and att and could not be happier with a fairly bug-less windows mobile. Each have not crashed yet or even got sluggish. The Pre is still new yet, I would wait and see if there are any fixes and updates before buying the Pre.

Also the downside of a Pre is the plan change to an everything plan. Treo Pro has no requirements - can use your existing plan.

So again, ultimately everyone has their own preferences, if you're used to windows mobile and appreciate its capabilites and layout freedom, then I'd recommend the Treo Pro as it will not be a major change as is the Pre's WebOS .

Journeyman

mspampi ~

Thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my question. I have yet to decide.

Journeyman

I've had the 800w (terrible) and have the Treo Pro now (not terrible). To me, in many ways the Pro is less powerful than the 800w (minimal memory, cut and paste doesn't work as well, very hard to delete emails compared to 800w (manual is wrong on tap and drag)).My Pro does crash, run out of memory, get sluggish,fail to charge, and miss calls, like the 800w, just not nearly as often.

In my experience, Palm releases one or two fixes for a phone,and then abandons it. There were two for the 800w and one so far for the Pro, despite long documentation of bugs in the various forums, and the lists were posted on the Palm forum for good measure.

Technical support for the 800w, both from Palm and Sprint, was so astoundingly inept that I haven't bothered asking them for help on the Pro. For example, one Palm tech told me that when the screen saver kicked in, the phone would not ring. When I had him call the phone and it rang, he said I should probably exchange it. I don't know if it realistic to expect it to be better on the Pre.

Since Palm, and to some degree Sprint, are counting on the Pre to save them, it may get better attention. A similar thing happened with the Instinct. After a long time they issued some updates. It may go better because there are fewer companies involved. The earlier models had Palm, Sprint, Microsoft, and whoever made the phone. At least the Pre doesn't have Microsoft to blame.

You might also look at the ratings on this site. A week ago the Pre was 8.1, now it's 7.7, lower than the Pro. The 800w is 6.5. Make sure that any applications you use on the Ace are available on the Pre. If you do get a Pre, I'd see if the store will port your contacts/calendar, etc. to the Pre. Many people are having trouble with this. (probably no worse than Activeness in general but I'd take some help if I could)

I would take a good look at the Blackberry's and, if you can stand AT&T and the Applenanny-state attitude, the new iPhone. I am.

Journeyman

Jss, you seem to have quite a bit of issues with yours. Is yours an official 1.04 version or one of those recalled 1.03 software versions? I've yet to see people have as many issues as you, atleast not on sprintusers forum. I have no charging issues with mine at all, and I have both the unlocked and sprint versions. No freezing or sluggishness and I've got many added apps, but they are official supported apps. Many programs like that mobile shell cause havoc on the pro but the company is working to correct that software.

Journeyman

I have Software version T850EWW-1.04-SPT.

I frequently have the phone not wake up from screen saver when the center button is pressed. Sometimes the end key will wake it, sometimes it takes a reset. It is at least more reliable than the 800w.

I read on the Palm forum that lots of Pro users are replacing the mail app with one from the 800w for better functionality.

I've had the out of memory message several times, and the browser freezes a lot. It just doesn't have the power it needs.

Let's just say Palm is two for two in my book. I don't know if I'll go for three strikes they're out.

Journeyman

As the wireless telcoms person in my firm, i have been able to test and run both. Just a quick summary: the Palm Pro is more suited to business use - with dead easy Windows activesync synchronization with our OUtlook webmail server. The Pre on the other hand has really cool apps and a fun interface - but we have had major issues getting it synched with our exchange server. We downloaded the new OS, but still are not able to connect succesfully. I personally have changed from a Verizon Samsung Omnia to the Palm PRO (not the Pre) as it works better for business. If all i was looking for was a personal toy, i may choose the Pre. Also one last note - i thought the slide out keyboard would be really cool - but i have been unable to hold the phone with one hand and use my thumb to slide the keyboard out - i need 2 hands. It is very slippery and the slide mechanism is a bit 'tight' at the moment. Perhaps with the Touchstone back, the slipperyness will dissapear and it will be easier to hold onto.

Journeyman

If you are comparing 800w to the Pro (850) is like trying to compare 1989 Hundai to the al new Hundai 2010.  You can't.  I used both and the 850 is a really excelente phone in all features.  I agree it is the best Palm Business Phone in the market today

Journeyman

I have a Pre less than 3 months old.  The ringer volume control on the side of the phone has already stopped working.  That touch screen is extremely temperamental.  Sometimes you have to practically beat on the phone icon to get it to activate.  Other times you can barely touch it by accident while trying to access another feature and it not only starts the phone it dials a number--usually a random selection of some number you have dialed in the past.  Unless you have speaker phone on while listening to your voicemail (which requires you to display the numeric keypad), if you put the phone to your ear, the screen goes black.  It does not return immediately when you take the phone away to press a number--like the star key.  Voicemail may hang up on you while you are waiting for the keypad to redisplay.

Do not get a Pre if you may need it in emergencies.  It takes several minutes to boot up when you turn it on.

My main complaint still is that when I bought the phone at the Sprint store, they conveniently failed to mention that no instruction book comes with it.  A Sprint customer service supervisor at the 800 number told me that a 361 page instruction book was supposed to come with it, and that "all I had to do was go back to the Sprint store and ask for it."  When I drove the 10 miles through Dallas traffic to get to the Sprint store where I bought the phone, I was told by the store manager that "There is no instruction book.  It is up to you go to the Palm website and download any instruction pages you think you may need."  Of course, that means that if I want to print out the instructions to take with me (I travel extensively in my work), I end up with 8.5x11 pages printed on only one side which makes way too much weight to lug around.

Oh, yeah.  When I called customer service back and asked for the particular supervisor who had told me to go ask for the instruction book, I was told there was no such supervisor in customer service.  Just FYI.

Message was edited by: jimntx

Message was edited by: jimntx

Journeyman

Shelly what you need to do is decide if you want a smart phone, feature phone or some kind of hybrid.

A smart phone is a Blackberry, or any Windows Mobile device... but really a Blackberry.  You can get a LOT of apps for a Blackberry, which keeps things fresh.  They are also really great for email obviously, and that's why business persons carry them around.  If you're going to be typing all day long on your phone, you want a FULL qwerty keyboard.

Your Ace falls into the category of feature phone quite well.  Big screen, usually a slideout keyboard, sometimes a touchscreen, and other bells and whistles right on the hardware itself.  Usually they have a great DAC for music playback quality, and either a good amount of memory or a slot for memory expansion. But probably no applications available to download, other than maybe a music player from Sprint or something else quite lame.

A hybrid would be something in between the other two types.  There isn't really a phone that is awesome at being both a smart phone and feature phone.  If there was, it would be the size of two phones with a huge touch screen and huge full size qwerty keyboard.  The Pre is a perfect example of a hybrid, and anything with Palm's WebOS for that matter.  It's still pretty new but there is a rapidly growing app store which is exactly how iPhoners get their phones to do cool stuff.  There's decent memory in the Pre for music (8GB)and the DAC (converts mp3 data to the actual music you hear) is of very high quality.  The multitasking ability of the WebOS, the only OS with the ability to do so, is more useful than you realize.  This single feature makes this the obsolute #1 phone OS in my opinion. Being able to instantly flick between my email, texting and instant messaging, internet, and calendar "cards" is awesome.  You never have to close out anything to do something in another app.

I've got a Pre, despite being directed towards the Pixi.  I've carried a Palm phone for a few years now, and have had a lot of problems with phone quality.  So far so good, but the sales guys and techs at the Sprint store I went to try to talk me out of the Pre because of  their rampant mechanical problems.  I also looked at the Google phones (Android OS) and while the phones looked AWESOME the Google apps are a JOKE.  We're talking Atari games and stop watches.  That's about it.  I was terribly disappointed as an avid Google software user on my pc, and now their calendar even synchs my phone calendar.  But why would anyone want to buy an Android phone with this lousy list of apps is beyond me.  If there's something I'm missing about Android, someone tell me, I want to be ecouraged!

Good Luck!

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat