cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Palm Pre vs. Samsung Instinct

Journeyman

Palm Pre vs. Samsung Instinct

I've owned the Instinct since it first became available and love it (for the most part). I also bought a Pre yesterday in order to test it against my Instinct. If I like it better, I'll kill the Instinct but if not, the Pre will be returned within 30 days.

So far, I am torn between the two!

On the Instinct I love:

1. Visual Voicemail
  2. Voice Dialing
  3. Voice/Live Search
  4. the ability to change ringtones for email, voicemail, sms, etc.

On the Pre I love:

1. Multitasking
  2. The web browser
  3. Calendar/Contact sync w/ Facebook, Outlook, etc.
  4. The App Catalog
  5. The quality of the camera and the screen in general

What are your thoughts? Which device is better to you and why?

21 REPLIES 21
Journeyman

Re: Palm Pre vs. Samsung Instinct

well shoot, i dont have a Pre yet (rebate is July 1st) but, i have gone to the store twice now to see it (i know, im such a loser) and heres my pros and Cons

three things i love about instinct

1. Touchscreen Feedback

2. Visual voice mail

3. SD Card slot

Reason i will still choose Pre

1. better speaker quality (even if its not as loud)

2. Keyboard

3. Camera quality (video can be implemented threw software update i hope)

4. smoother running UI (only slightly)

5. screen is Beautiful

6. Cards thingy and Contact migration (i know i know, i already synced my friends Pre to my stuff, it was all flawless for me)

all that said, the real reasons will be as follows

1. Multi-touch

2. accelarometer

3. smexy

i know im so ashamed, the first two are Iphood copys, but i wanna stay on sprint, and now sprint offers these features on a phone, im not gonna not get a Palm Pre

Journeyman

I gotta say it's all about the web browsing for me. I've put my Intinct's Opera Mini up against friend's iPhones and G1s, and my Intinct beat them speedwise hands down. I know the Pre has a fast browser, but it's gonna be hard giving up Opera Mini. Visual Voicemail is something that I will definitely miss, and I hope Palm is working 24/7 to get this to the phone as fast as possible.

Journeyman

The only thing , so far , I like better about the instinct is the favorites screen.

It is very combinable, you can send a text message with one screen touch.

I love that.

Also some kind of voice command , voice dial on the pre would be nice.

Suggestions for the Pre .. Allow to put short cuts on the "home" screen - the screen where the wallpaper is.

Allow for "deep" short cuts like the instinct Put a shortcut directly linked to text a specific person.

Pre - great browser - so far pretty happy . Wonder how it will compare to the touch 2

Journeyman

I love the live search. I don't use it that often, but when you use it you normally really NEED it. I guess you have the internet on the pre to make up for it, but I love how integrated the live search is with the phone, gps, and map. It just works so well and seamlessly. The App store could be the trump card in all of this though, if that takes off, no telling what kind of live search kind of programs they could come out with.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I don't miss the Instinct.

VVM can live without for now.

Web Browsing never bothered on the Instinct

Ring Tones, would be nice, but not a biggie.

The only thing that I miss is the Tip Calculator.

The Pre is simply way beyond theInstinct and is what I guess we all thought we were getting a year ago out of theInstinct.

TheInstinct's time has come and gone. ThePre simply is a much more elegent and useful fully integrated clouddevice.

I have large fingers and the Instinct keyboard was making me nuts. The Pre is MUCH easier to type on.

I never cruised the web on the Instinct it was to painful for me. Now on the Pre it is outstanding. The browser is very capable of viewing sites. Ionically sites with a web version like Twitter work better in standard mode on the Pre.

Let me sync with my stand aloneOutlook and I will be a happy camper!

http://www.chapura.com/pm_standard_pre.php

Just some thoughts!

Journeyman

There is no comparison, you have to understand it's not just about the Pre, it's webOS, Synergy, App Catalog, Multitasking, etc. Over 1000 developers have already signed up for Palms SDK, app's are going to come out in the boat loads, many app's will address things like, live search, voice dialing, video recording, visual voicemail. Speaking of VVM, Phonefusion has already said they're designing VVM for the Pre, I used Phonefusion VVM on my Diamond -(couldn't wait to get rid of the Diamond), it is much better than the version the Instinct uses. You're able to receive faxes with Phonefusions VVM, it has the most features of any VVM. So give it time, about 5 app's were added to the App Catalog today, so far for a new OS, webOS is living up to the expectations.

Journeyman

So far, it seems like the Pre is almost unanimously preferred over the Instinct.

Anyone still prefer the Instinct over the Pre? If so, why?

Journeyman

I do miss VVM and Live Search from the Instinct.

But, the Pre allows you to listen to GPS via Bluetooth as well as Pandora.

Journeyman

@bjharada wrote:

I do miss VVM and Live Search from the Instinct.

But, the Pre allows you to listen to GPS via Bluetooth as well as Pandora.

Do you have a stereo bluetooth headset or are you pairing your phone with your car?

Journeyman

I'm pairing to a Motorokr T505 in the car.

Journeyman

if you are using nav while connected via bluetooth to the car radio, the directions will announce via the radio ?

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat