cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Palm Pre vs. Samsung Instinct

Journeyman

Re: Palm Pre vs. Samsung Instinct

Yup. I had Pandora running and started up Navigation and the Nav announcements came thru the car speakers.

When I had the instinct the sprint admins said it couldn't be done because of the lag, but it seems to work fine on the pre.

Journeyman

The one thing i LOVE about my Instinct is Opera Mini.

It is so **bleep** fast and almost all web pages are viewable and easy to read.

Can i put Opera Mini on the Pre?

planning on switching to the pre

Journeyman

Agreed. Opera Mini was good compared to the awful Instinct browser, but the Pre browser leaves them both in the dust.

Journeyman

Yes, it is not even fair to compare them. Can you really compare a BMW to a Honda? Nothing is wrong with a Honda but it is no BMW!

Journeyman

PAM for the Instinct is all I have to say.

Journeyman

I disagree that the Palm browser puts Opera Mini to shame. Opera loads pages MUCH faster, and the text is formatted to the screen, so it eliminates having to pan while reading.

Palm's browser is very nice and it great at preserving the page layout as you would see it on a desktop. On a lot of site's it's necessary to maintain the layout or it's just a big mess. The browser does an excellent job in this regard, but it's much harder to navigate though.

I think there is room on the phone for both browsers, and I hope Opera and Palm bring Mini to WebOS in the near future.

Journeyman

Agreed! Both browsers have their pluses and minuses. If I have to pick, I choose the Pre's.

Journeyman

@sweet greggo wrote:

I disagree that the Palm browser puts Opera Mini to shame. Opera loads pages MUCH faster, and the text is formatted to the screen, so it eliminates having to pan while reading.

Palm's browser is very nice and it great at preserving the page layout as you would see it on a desktop. On a lot of site's it's necessary to maintain the layout or it's just a big mess. The browser does an excellent job in this regard, but it's much harder to navigate though.

I think there is room on the phone for both browsers, and I hope Opera and Palm bring Mini to WebOS in the near future.

I agree that the opera mini browser is much easier to read and navigate in most instances. I second that Opera and Palm bring Mini to WebOS in the near future. Pleeeeeeeeeeease!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm posting because I was confused what the Motorokr T505 was so I had to do some researching. I first thought "WTF? Why doesn't my BT do that?" and then saw that the T505 also broadcasted via FM radio, thus through a car stereo.

Some cars have a Bluetooth connector already installed and uses the speakers for audio, like in my Nissan Rogue, which is only for phone calls. The Motorokr T505 is an aftermarket Bluetooth speaker that also has the option to broadcast conversations or any other audio through an FM radio.

Message was edited by: TimesWasting

Side note about posting:
Before posting, always copy all your text you've entered as the post may not always go through. If your post doesn't go, then you still have it copied and can try to post it again.

Journeyman

Well Palm is the new kid on the block and I have to admit that I am just now getting around to visiting a Sprint store and checking it out. It looks and feels better than I expected but overall I dont think it completely destroys the Instinct in every category.  As many have noted, Instincts Live Search, Voice Commands, and form factor are still superior. Heck Instinct has a virtual keyboard, Pre doesn't, I prefer Instinct's virtual pad than pushing on those squishy rubbery buttons of the Pre. Also, Opera Mini is not necessarily a superior Browser to Palm's but I enjoy it more. (Sure some of that could be do to familiarity but Opera Mini is still new to me so I have no desire to get rid of it). Also I wasn't able to test Palm's Navigation, if it is the same as Instinct's then great but if its different I can't see how could be better.

Now the multitasking of the Palm is pretty amazing, the webOS as they call it, I hear it takes great pictures but does not do video recording, which is another Instinct advantage.  So overall I'd say that the Palm is still lacking in many features, almost as if phones are made in the same way as data plans. You get this but dont get that, guess thats how the market is. Maybe someday someone will truly create a do it all device.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat