cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Partially-downloaded App is "Stuck" (Palm Pre)

Highlighted
Journeyman

Partially-downloaded App is "Stuck" (Palm Pre)

Check out the attached screen shot.  When I run the Updates app, I receive several updates for various apps at one time.  And there's this "mystery app" that appears at the top of the list, but I can't figure out what it is.  This actually happened prior to the WebOS 1.4 upgrade.

When I hit the "Install Updates" button, the updates appear to begin, but nothing happens.  I'm able to pause the updates to other apps, but they won't ever resume updating.  I can even delete the paused updates for the other apps, but nothing different happens to that mystery app at the top of the screen.

I didn't have any issue at all updating to the new WebOS 1.4, but the mystery app seems to be blocking updates to the other applications.

Does anyone know how to clear/delete this "app" without resetting the phone?  Thanks in advance!

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Master

Re: Partially-downloaded App is "Stuck" (Palm Pre)

Go to "Launcher>Device Info>More Info>Software" Compare the list of installed software with what the app catalog is showing what you have installed, Whatever it is should be listed there.

When you click on the "Blank" Icon, It should take you to the page in the app catalog associated with the app, Does it not do that?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for the quick reply.  Everything seems to check out...for every app in launcher, there's an app in the listed software.  When I click on the mystery app (or blank icon) i get the screen below...

Journeyman

I have the same problem for about a month now. can't find any solution

Highlighted
Journeyman

That happened to me about a month ago.  I was on-line with Sprint Tech Support, they couldn't help me but transferred me to Palm Tech Support.  Palm had me do a complete reset (erasing everything on the phone).  It solved the problem. I was able to download after that, but my Palm Profile didn't restore all of my contacts, and didn't keep track of what songs I had loaded on it so it ended up being a big hassle.  I had to connect back to my PC reload music (which was a long process both time because I have a ton more music on my computer than would fit on the phone).  The profile did, however, remember what applications I had and automatically downloaded everything.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I was trying to avoid a complete reset.  I'm not sure how well the Palm profile back up really works.  I think I'll take some time to make sure my contacts are ALL backed up before I go any further.

I appreciate your response....thanks!

Highlighted
Journeyman

<<I was trying to avoid a complete reset. >>  Smart move.  Its why I informed you of all of the complications it caused me.  I still haven't figured out why I lost some of my contacts (and it wasn't the newest ones).  I couldn't find any distiguishing details between the ones I lost and the other ones.  Over the last 16 years I've had many Palm Devices...the Pre is the first one that didn't come with a software called Palm Desktop.  I can vouch for Palm Desktop...it worked like a charm.  It held all data perfectly...including downloaded software...media files etc.  A much more reliable, transparent system than the current "Palm Profile."

Highlighted
Master

@slash2000, In another post you mentioned you had "preware" installed. There is a patch to export your contacts; http://www.precentral.net/how-export-and-move-your-contacts-patch

Once you get them to your PC import them to Google and when you set up your Pre again, Set Google as your main profile in the contacts app and from then on out all your contacts will be sync'd with Google. So if you change phones in the future it will be less of a hassle.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'll definitely check that out.

Regarding this stuck app, it's also holding up any updates -- even through Preware (see screen shot below).  It's looking more and more like I'm gonna have to do that reset.  Any other suggestions?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi just checking to see if you were able to avoid the reset. I've been having the same problem for the past few months with this stuck app and really dont want to have to reset my phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Go get the WebOS Repair utility.  It will attempt to restore your Pre to a factory OS without actually doing a full restore.

Use in conjunction with the Save/Restore app from PreWare so that you can replace any hacks/tweaks/patches in just a few clicks.

If you need to do an OS doctor, go get the Pre Backup and Save/Restore apps from PreWare.   You can use the two of them to save virtually all your application data (memos, notes, contacts, tweaks, etc) to your USB partition and/or an external device.  You can then run the Doctor, which won't delete the USB partition, and restore the OS to factory.  Reinstall Preware, Pre Backup and Save/Restore, do the restores and you'll quickly be back in business.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've had the same problem.  This fixed it for me without having to reset or reload everything.

http://forums.precentral.net/2226971-post25.html

Message was edited by: WildThing792

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat